Back to 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Back to 9.02

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
amplidood wrote:I'm now having and issue where the trackpad can easily make moves in DP's pitch editing, but mouse clicks are treated as though they just didn't happen. Weird. Scratch that... what's happening with the mouse is it's selecting the pitch line when clicking and not the pitch box. Hmmmm. Wonder what that's about.

UPDATE: It's Smart Selections. I never have that on, but somehow it was. Carry on.
Thanks for sharing Mr. Dood... I'm gonna' take a look at my settings, 'cause I was having a hard time with pitch edits, too!
me too but just the last few days... I made a batch command as a work around and it worked. That should have given me a clue. The Mouse!!!!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

amplidood wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:If you can't run 9.12, then your Mac is screwed up.

Frankly, the amount of mistaken abuse that gets heaped on MOTU on this forum ("my computer got all screwed up with freebies and third party I/O drivers and dumb hacks for making ancient plug-ins run, and now DP doesn't work right and IT'S THEIR FAULT") gets severely tiresome.

Nobody ever comes back and says, "oh, I figured it out and it was operator error but it's ok now," but the "EVERYTHING ABOUT DP X.XX SUX" threads live forever.
Come on man, this is just a ridiculous statement...... I'm not losing anymore time chasing down bugs and glitches I didn't create because my Mac is "screwed up". This smacks of fan boy talk and not someone who is willing to actually deal with issues in a factual manner. We're all better than that.
+1....all I can say
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

williemyers wrote:
amplidood wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:If you can't run 9.12, then your Mac is screwed up.

Frankly, the amount of mistaken abuse that gets heaped on MOTU on this forum ("my computer got all screwed up with freebies and third party I/O drivers and dumb hacks for making ancient plug-ins run, and now DP doesn't work right and IT'S THEIR FAULT") gets severely tiresome.

Nobody ever comes back and says, "oh, I figured it out and it was operator error but it's ok now," but the "EVERYTHING ABOUT DP X.XX SUX" threads live forever.
Come on man, this is just a ridiculous statement...... I'm not losing anymore time chasing down bugs and glitches I didn't create because my Mac is "screwed up". This smacks of fan boy talk and not someone who is willing to actually deal with issues in a factual manner. We're all better than that.
+1....all I can say
It's especially true when the previous version doesn't have ANY OF THE ISSUES OR BUGS that suddenly exist in a newer version when running on the exact same system. That has nothing to do with the system and *everything* to do with the app.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Waxman wrote: me too but just the last few days... I made a batch command as a work around and it worked. That should have given me a clue. The Mouse!!!!
Nice one Wax! $999 DP bug fixer. :lol:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

labman wrote:
Waxman wrote: me too but just the last few days... I made a batch command as a work around and it worked. That should have given me a clue. The Mouse!!!!
Nice one Wax! $999 DP bug fixer. :lol:
To be fair, you can do this with KeyboardMaestro for $50.

I use Butler for many things like this personally. It's an extremely useful application by great developer.

If you're ok with editing a text file, you can do it for free with AppleScript or Karabiner. I have over 300 mappings in Karabiner, and it's definitely not difficult to operate.

Yeah it's annoying to have to create workarounds, but there are cheap/free tools out there. Every Mac comes with AppleScript as well so you're more than equipped to deal with these things freely.

p.s. My computer is basically inoperable to anyone walking up to it because I have so much stuff customized with karabiner and butler. Even typing is basically impossible until I teach you how :lol: I do have a vanilla user and a vanilla partition for checking issues for the community issues list though. :koolaid:
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

The OP's problem sounds a bit like a pre-gen issue. I notice you can't turn pre-gen off via Preferences in v9 like the old days, but you can still turn them off in the plug window itself (note: it's also possible you can turn pre-gen off globally, but so far, I haven't found it). These are exactly the types of issues I used to have with DP's pre-gen back in v6, having to start from the beginning of the cue in order for loops to play in sync, things playing after the sequencer has stopped, etc. In my case, I just simply turned pre-gen off until it was absolutely necessary, like if I needed to freeze tracks. I haven't messed with loops or arps in v9 yet, so I don't even know if it's still an issue, or if the "new pre-gen" (?) will cause new problems. Sooooo ... did you try just turning off pre-gen and working with it off until you need it?

Grasping at straws here, it could also be a hard drive issue. Pre-gen literally generates an always-updating temp audio file and streams it from your hard drive. There may be a hardware problem that's causing it to lag or even fragment.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Armageddon wrote:The OP's problem sounds a bit like a pre-gen issue. I notice you can't turn pre-gen off via Preferences in v9 like the old days, but you can still turn them off in the plug window itself (note: it's also possible you can turn pre-gen off globally, but so far, I haven't found it). These are exactly the types of issues I used to have with DP's pre-gen back in v6, having to start from the beginning of the cue in order for loops to play in sync, things playing after the sequencer has stopped, etc. In my case, I just simply turned pre-gen off until it was absolutely necessary, like if I needed to freeze tracks. I haven't messed with loops or arps in v9 yet, so I don't even know if it's still an issue, or if the "new pre-gen" (?) will cause new problems. Sooooo ... did you try just turning off pre-gen and working with it off until you need it?

Grasping at straws here, it could also be a hard drive issue. Pre-gen literally generates an always-updating temp audio file and streams it from your hard drive. There may be a hardware problem that's causing it to lag or even fragment.
That is exactly it.

Those are exactly the problems I had in 9.0x until I disabled pre-gen globally in Preferences.

Getting rid of disable pre-gen as a global preference is the entire problem as I see it.

The 9.12 work-around of trying to get certain plug-ins to run in real-time just doesn't work.

MOTU needs to bring back the disable pre-gen as a global preference.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

JSmith1234567 wrote:the 9.12 work-around of trying to get certain plug-ins to run in real-time just doesn't work.
Meaning what? The workaround is a PITA, or it doesn't solve the problem?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:the 9.12 work-around of trying to get certain plug-ins to run in real-time just doesn't work.
Meaning what? The workaround is a PITA, or it doesn't solve the problem?
Both.

Even with leaving windows open to disable Pre-Gen, it's still exhibiting all sorts of crazy behavior that makes it unusable.

As I said before, I'm the last person to cry wolf every time there is some new version of software (there is always someone over-reacting on the internet), but this one is really messed-up and I'm afraid MOTU won't fix it, or at least get around to it for awhile.

I love DP, but it's been my experience that when something is messed-up, it takes forever to get fixed, if it IS ever fixed?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I should add that, while I've switched off pre-gen for certain plugs and VIs in v9 as I've discovered them, I haven't done it globally and other than not being able to hear MIDI notes when I move them, and having to remember to turn off pre-gen whenever I'm running something that needs to be synced, I actually haven't had any problems with pre-gen, not like the old days where things occasionally got really glitchy. If I just have to switch off pre-gen manually as I go, plug by plug, on a per-project basis, so be it.

Still, there should be a way to turn pre-gen off globally. As evinced by this topic, it's not something that everybody wants, and it's too integral of a feature for the designers to dismiss as unimportant.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
amplidood wrote:I'm now having and issue where the trackpad can easily make moves in DP's pitch editing, but mouse clicks are treated as though they just didn't happen. Weird. Scratch that... what's happening with the mouse is it's selecting the pitch line when clicking and not the pitch box. Hmmmm. Wonder what that's about.

UPDATE: It's Smart Selections. I never have that on, but somehow it was. Carry on.
Thanks for sharing Mr. Dood... I'm gonna' take a look at my settings, 'cause I was having a hard time with pitch edits, too!
Did anyone get the mouse trackpad quirkiness figured out or preferably fixed? I'm still having issues with the Magic Mouse being squirrel'y and selecting slow.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Still sub-optimal here. I'm gonna play with a Microsoft optical mouse and see how that works.

The thing is, I dearly love the horizontal inertial scrolling the MM provides.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

A mouse just told me DP9.13 is coming really soon, like next week, and will fix the mouse response issue in the Pitch Editor.
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

Hey HC...
That is great news!
The .x3 version always seems to nail it.
Happy that MOTU is still on the case.
All is well
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote:A mouse just told me DP9.13 is coming really soon, like next week, and will fix the mouse response issue in the Pitch Editor.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31