Recording a loop from Battery into DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ovaltine52
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording a loop from Battery into DP

Post by ovaltine52 »

Babe in the woods question here:

What I'm trying to do is get a loop I like from Battery into DP. Because I know of no other way, I've got Battery assigned to an instrument track, & when I start the loop the audio shows up fine on the mixing board. In order for me to record, I have to have a MIDI track (which I'm well aware of when using virtual instruments). But nothing happens. Now no, I'm not very MIDI savvy (bordering on clueless), but I'm figuring that it's not going to record audio because it's looking for a MIDI message from my keyboard.

I tried Battery stand alone (audio track in DP), but I can't figure out how to to get the output of Battery to the DP audio track.

Could this be something as simple as dragging Battery's audio file onto the audio track (provided I can find the danged thing & will be permitted)?

Any advice MUCH appreciated.
ovaltine52

Re: Recording a loop from Battery into DP

Post by ovaltine52 »

Hey folks:

Just to mention I did get where I wanted to go by bussing the instrument track output to another audio track, recorded the loop, stretched it, ta da.

Maybe I should've done that in the 1st place? :?

I use Session Drummer, Drum Lab, & Model 12 as well with no issues so far. Battery's my 1st prom, & though I haven't dove into it yet, I'd like to be able to fire sounds off from the keys other than record/place them as per above. But I did get where I wanted to go.

But any further comments/advice still MUCH appreciated.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

If you just want the loop in DP, you can right click it in Battery's browser and choose "Find in explorer". Then drag it in like any other audio file.

If you want MIDI control, you'll need a MIDI track routed to Battery. You have to assign the loop to one of the pads, then find the note on your MIDI keyboard that corresponds to it. By default, I believe the first pad is assigned to C1.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
ovaltine52

Post by ovaltine52 »

Thankew MUCH!!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This may be obvious but you've got a two-fold issue here- the MIDI as mentioned, but you'll also need an audio track to record to. Use a stereo bus as either the output or a send of the instrument track and use that same bus as an input to the destination audio track.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce