Sharing session files between DP and Pro Tools

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rusty Shackleford
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sharing session files between DP and Pro Tools

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I'm looking to to share audio tracks with embedded takes that will appear identically in the timeline between DP and Pro Tools. Mixing data - levels, routings, EQ, etc. - not needed. In the past, I've read that sharing files via OMF is possible in some instances but unreliable at best. I haven't heard anything recently on OMF's (or any other format's) sharing viability, though. Has anyone had success with this type of file sharing between DP and PT? If possible, I'm looking for a solution other than exporting/importing stems of individual tracks and takes. Thanks.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Rusty Shackleford

Re: Sharing session files between DP and Pro Tools

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Any thoughts?
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Krakadon

Post by Krakadon »

Moving from DP to PT, PT to DP or bi-directional?

Export each take as its own track and import take tracks into Pro Tools as Playlists.

Opps, didn't see your qualification there. I don't know of another way. I haven't had success with OMF but it is supposed to work. I don't know the features/limitations.
Krakadon
Rock, metal, Nashville, TN

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* Apollo Quad FW (FW9.0), UAD-2 Quad FW, UAD-2 Quad TB, M Audio Oxygen 49
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
* UA 4-710d, RNC-1773, Shure SM-57, SM-58, SM7B, Rode NT1-A
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I haven't had to do this since DP and PT have gone through updates, so I don't know if things have changed, but OMF was problematic (at best) when I last tried to use it with DP/PT. I agree with Krakadon that exporting individual tracks is your best bet. It may seem like a lot of work, but at least you'll have no surprises. In the long run, it may be less work than sorting through all the OMF issues. JMHO.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.