SOLVED - DP Control and V-Rack Faders

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stublito
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

SOLVED - DP Control and V-Rack Faders

Post by stublito »

I use DP control on my iPhone live, attached to my mike stand. It's perfect for switching chunks (songs), I also have lyrics displaying via Markers in the transport. I use a V-Rack for the audio mix and plugs, but DP Control's mixer section will not address V-Rack faders. I have been going nuts on this but it finally came to me.

1. On each chunk, add the same number of mono audio tracks as you need to control V-Rack faders, starting from the left (I use 7 on the iPhone)
2. Add a new IAC Bus
3. Now add a new Control Surface, a Mackie HUI. Point the output of the HUI to the new IAC bus.

Now go to the V-Rack fader, Attach Controller and wiggle the iphone fader. IT WORKS!!!

The HUI puts out coarse and fine controller values, the first Chunk fader is Controller 0.

I'm not sure how much extra processor overhead is used up for each (unused) audio track in each chunk. I'm hoping it's very small, as I will be adding 500+ audio channels I can make it work.

I currently use a little Nano Control as a fader box. The next thing is t figure out how to merge the two controller streams so I can use either/or.

A console may work, I'm not sure "where" in the MIDI chain of events DP "listens" to the Attach MIDI controller action.

Comments?

Stublito