Drumcore 3 and 32lives

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drumcore 3 and 32lives

Post by kinnylandrum »

I have somehow lost my jBridgeM connection for Drumcore 3. I wanted to try 32Lives so I downloaded the demo. However, Drumcore 3 does not appear in the list of plugins to resurrect. KitCore does, but not Drumcore. Without Drumcore I'm sure I don't want to buy 32Lives. Can someone help me get this to work/

Thanks,
Kinny Landrum
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
mikehalloran

Re: Drumcore 3 and 32lives

Post by mikehalloran »

I can understand that. I bought 32Lives but no longer use it as the plugs I bought it for have been replaced or upgraded. I have a couple of old projects with the mda AU freebies — those work but the vst GUIs still cannot be seen even in the latest version of 32Lives. I have other plugs to replace the mda but no need to update those old projects.

So, Drumcore 3... paid version or the freebie?

If the old freebie, Drumcore 4 Lite is its successor and only $49, half the price of 32Lives.
https://www.sonomawireworks.com/store/

If one of the paid versions, the upgrade path begins at $129—still a better option than $99 for 32Lives, IMO.
https://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/dc4upgrade.php
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have somehow lost my jBridgeM connection for
That happened to me with the only vst I bought JBridgeM for. I went a bit nuts over that as the new 32Lives couldn't see it either.

Finally, that plug was updated to 64bit by the developer so problem solved and jBridgeM has been retired for good on my system.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I had 32 Lives and Drumcore 3 working on my system but not without issues... for example Drumcore 3 wouldn't retain what kit was loaded when reopening a project, or if, for example, the snare was assigned to a virtual aux output for separate processing.

I ended up upgrading to Drumcore 4 which is now finally out and am glad I did. The only caveat is that the feature to separate out a snare for example to a different virtual output is not yet added. Sonoma Wireworks has said they're still working on that so it's still crippled that way compared to Drumcore 3. The workaround is to load another instance of Drumcore 4 for just that sound/sounds.

All of your Drumcore 3 content can be used in Drumcore 4, but you have to run a conversion app and pay close attention to the directions during install. It all went smoothly for me and all my content from Drumcore 3 is accessible in Drumcore 4.

Bottom line... pretty much time to pony up and upgrade if you can afford to.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Thanks for the replies. I finally got jBridgeM to work and will use that. The 32 Lives people responded to me and confirmed that it cannot work with Drumcore 3.

I own Drumcore 4 and still prefer Drumcore 3 because Drumcore 4 does not and will never work with REX files. I love the ability to change the tempo at will, even in small amounts and have everything stay in sync without having to convert the tempos of the loops, and I can do that easily with REX files. I find that invaluable for syncing drum loops with picture. Plus it allows we to do ritards with drum loops. In fact I don't know why anyone would do anything else, especially with drum loops.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Good to know about the REX files. I was going to suggest that you download the latest release of 32 Lives. Their official 2.0 release just came out. Sadly, I had to remove it from my machine as it appears DP projects containing any instances of Altiberb 6 wrapped with 32 Lives crash DP upon load. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dbender

Post by dbender »

kinnylandrum wrote:Thanks for the replies. I finally got jBridgeM to work and will use that. The 32 Lives people responded to me and confirmed that it cannot work with Drumcore 3.

I own Drumcore 4 and still prefer Drumcore 3 because Drumcore 4 does not and will never work with REX files. I love the ability to change the tempo at will, even in small amounts and have everything stay in sync without having to convert the tempos of the loops, and I can do that easily with REX files. I find that invaluable for syncing drum loops with picture. Plus it allows we to do ritards with drum loops. In fact I don't know why anyone would do anything else, especially with drum loops.

Me too.

Was very disappointed to find out that DC4 won't play my REX drum loop files. I had used DC3 not only for the Sonoma content, but also as a library/browser for my REX drum loop files, and the ability to manipulate them in DC3 was great (tempo, of course, and also that randomizer feature DC3 had with a funny name I don't recall at the moment).

So DC4 is a big downgrade for me, so that's why I haven't bought the DC4 upgrade, and am hoping my DC3 will continue working w/ jBridge. This pissed my off since I was looking forward to using DC in 64 bit and waited forever for the long, long over-due update.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

And I also like that you could quantize REX loops, easily change the level of, say, all the bass drums or rearrange a beat by moving certain hits around. Yes, Drumcore 4 is a disappointment, but I recently used the download function to get a certain brushes loop I liked, and it was easy and cheap. So, one day when I buy a new computer and can no longer install Drumcore 3, at least I'll have something to work with. Too bad they abandoned REX Loops, but I think it was probably all about money. Oh well
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kinnylandrum wrote:And I also like that you could quantize REX loops, easily change the level of, say, all the bass drums or rearrange a beat by moving certain hits around. Yes, Drumcore 4 is a disappointment, but I recently used the download function to get a certain brushes loop I liked, and it was easy and cheap. So, one day when I buy a new computer and can no longer install Drumcore 3, at least I'll have something to work with. Too bad they abandoned REX Loops, but I think it was probably all about money. Oh well
Part of it was probably just getting DrumCore 4 out the door before they completely lost all credibility. If I recall correctly, DC4 had been vaporware—they were working on it—for 3 years or more. I remember a few consecutive NAMM shows going by Sonoma Wireworks booth and inquiring when it would finally be ready and getting some sheepish response. I think they had to rush it out the door to make something back on all the R&D investment they must have been sinking into it. The latest version still can't send a particular kit piece to a separate virtual output so you can process it separately in your DAW. I inquired about that and how the "Output" button on the mixer did nothing and got a response that they were working on that feature.

It's almost as if they lost a key programmer on the way between DC3 and DC4 and were having to do a lot of re-inventing the wheel. I'm no programmer, so all I can do is guess. We can hope at some point that feature is restored. You might write to Sonoma Wireworks and ask.

towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

Yes, I got frustrates as well waiting for Drumcore 4 to really be usable while beta testing for 2 years.
I think they were starting from scratch with programming since Sonoma bought it from Submersible and probably didn't have any of the original programmers. They also seemed more concerned with getting their in app store working then getting content migrated whenever I contacted them. So I put it on the shelf for a while and have been using Drumcore 3 with jBridge (as well as with Altiverb 6). No problems in DP9.

Now that my old content can accessed again I might give DC4 another try and see how it goes. Although I've been getting by with my old Toontrack Superior 2 stuff as well as with Realidrums which I got not too long ago and has some pretty cool features.
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

towerproductions wrote:So I put it on the shelf for a while and have been using Drumcore 3 with jBridge (as well as with Altiverb 6). No problems in DP9.
Well you bring up another good possibility and that is I can try and use Altiverb 6 as a VST with jBridge... or maybe even with 32 Lives. The latest version of 32 Lives in combo with Altiverb 6 causes DP to crash, but that's with the AU version of Altiverb. Perhaps VST might fare better.
Now that my old content can accessed again I might give DC4 another try and see how it goes. Although I've been getting by with my old Toontrack Superior 2 stuff as well as with Realidrums which I got not too long ago and has some pretty cool features.
They have a migration tool that you run now before installing DC4, and I had a lot of DC3 content and as far as I can tell it all seems to work fine in DC4. I'll have to see if I can get DC3 to work as a VST with jBridge. Don't know if I deleted the old DC3 content once it was migrated to DC4 though.