MODO Bass

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MODO Bass

Post by Guitar Gaz »

That's fine David - we differ about how much you want to fiddle about with an instrument which will tend to sit in my tracks as a bass, and not a lead instrument for the most part.

You have loads of options and I get all that - for me that would be a little too much in the way of options when I want the sound of a real bass guitar. The number of good electric basses sampled in the Reason Electric Bass Refill, and with pick or fingered options, and with the amp and FX options, gives you a real sounding bass track with little fuss.

I can imagine a more professional player might want the greater options of MODO to exactly mirror the various nuances of their (or whoever they are trying to mimic) playing style especially if the bass is exposed. Whereas my playing style is more limited in the bass department! I don't do much slappa da bass so MODO is wasted on me. It may be wasted on others too which is why the Reason option is simpler to get a really good sounding bass track.

I say again the Fender Precision bass sounds identical to my own Fender Precision bass (fingered or picked) so I know how accurate and good the other sounds must also be. I wouldn't necessarily know with a modelled sound how accurate it was if I was customising. In the end I want a bass sound to sit in a track so Reason suits me fine. For me MODO is not a game changer as this occurred in 2008 when the Reason Refill came out - it was much more expensive then but it has come down in price as a Reason Rack extension so others may find it good value in comparison. But MODO may be exactly what others want - it's good to know the options available these days and this is all positive !
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
IK Multimedia
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by IK Multimedia »

The best way to "get" what's different about MODO BASS is to try it out. Just to reiterate that point that may have been lost in the shuffle.

It would also give better context to comparisons - hard to say something is or isn't good (or isn't as others describe) compared to another product without having first-hand experience with both.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

deleted
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
IK Multimedia wrote:The best way to "get" what's different about MODO BASS is to try it out. Just to reiterate that point that may have been lost in the shuffle.

It would also give better context to comparisons - hard to say something is or isn't good (or isn't as others describe) compared to another product without having first-hand experience with both.
Thank you Captain Obvious.
Dude really? Please go start another thread instead of co-opting this one with sophomoric nonsense.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
IK Multimedia wrote:The best way to "get" what's different about MODO BASS is to try it out. Just to reiterate that point that may have been lost in the shuffle.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Well, have you tried the demo of MODO? Just askin'.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

David Polich wrote: Well, have you tried the demo of MODO? Just askin'.
I did briefly try the demo, in November I think it was, when they first contacted me by email (I am registered for Amplitube and the iRig Acoustic mic)- it seemed expensive for me as I already had something I was pleased with. I didn't try all the detailed options as I don't need them which is why I can't speak with full knowledge of the options. I don't need the manufacturer on this forum to tell me to try it as a way of comparison. Have you tried Reason Electric Bass Refill?
Gary Shepherd
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Havent tried the Reason Refill because I dont
own Reason.I've heard the main components in
it..I already have equivalents so no need.

Again, if u love it great.

Peter from iK was just kindly posting helpful
information. Some people might not know where
to get the demo or even that there is a demo.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In fact, there wasn't a demo available during most of the pre-order period.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote:deleted
I dont' know what was said, but let's EVERYONE tone down the snark factor. If it doesn't become civil in here I'll just come through here and delete every post that has the slightest hint of passive aggressiveness, sarcasm, etc. Thanks!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
IK Multimedia

Post by IK Multimedia »

MODO BASS has been updated to 1.0.2 - Please update as soon as possible from your IK User Area under "My Products"

Changes from version 1.0.1
  • Fixed an issue that could cause audio glitches in Slap mode
  • Fixed an issue that could cause VST3 incompatibility
  • Fixed possible issues relating to offline export
  • General reliability improvements
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

IK Multimedia wrote:MODO BASS has been updated to 1.0.2 - Please update as soon as possible from your IK User Area under "My Products"

Thanks for getting that fixed so quickly.

I notice that SampleTank and AmpliTube have been updated since the last time I downloaded—forgot to scroll down and check when I was in there yesterday.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

IK Multimedia wrote:MODO BASS has been updated to 1.0.2 - Please update as soon as possible from your IK User Area under "My Products"

Wow! That was quick. I just downloaded and installed 1.0.1 last night! Great job! Thanks, IK! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

That WAS quick. I've downloaded the file for 1.0.1 but haven't even installed it yet! Thanks for the heads up.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good to know about this, and it coincides with today's release of the new Fender collection for AmpliTube, from which I plan to use one of the 50's large-speaker (or multi-speaker) amps/combos/cabinets on the MODO Bass tracks.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
IK Multimedia

Post by IK Multimedia »

mhschmieder wrote:Good to know about this, and it coincides with today's release of the new Fender collection for AmpliTube, from which I plan to use one of the 50's large-speaker (or multi-speaker) amps/combos/cabinets on the MODO Bass tracks.
Nice, let me know how that works for you.