MODO Bass

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MODO Bass

Post by apanacci »

Bought it , love it !!! Used my JAM points. $150.00 Canadian
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:For those who only own Scarbee, this is a no-brainer.
How about those who don't have Scarbee and are really only interested in a Ric sound?
Never mind. I got the demo and played with it for 20 minutes. It's amazing.

Although the checkout said I could only pay for up to 30% with Jam points, I paid 45%.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just posted this in the Free Plugs topic, but thought it might be useful to mention here. Cool freebie from Wavesfactory. "SnareBuzz is an audio effect plugin that emulates the wires of a snare buzzing when there's another instrument playing near."

https://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer- ... dc16-12774

I'm really interested in trying this with MODO Bass on a subtle setting to see what sort of realism it might impart, especially if wanting to sound like bass & drums were tracked simultaneously in the same room. Can't wait to try it in this application. Other free stuff on the page at the above link.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hey James, I downloaded that freebie earlier today, but forgot that snare buzz tools can also be useful when dealing with bass players whose amps are over-exciting the snare wires. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:Hey James, I downloaded that freebie earlier today, but forgot that snare buzz tools can also be useful when dealing with bass players whose amps are over-exciting the snare wires. :-)
??? This one adds that noise. I'm slow... don't understand. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yikes! Forget what I said about SnareBuzz! Maybe it's me but all it sounds like is a noise generator with Hi Pass and Low Pass controls. After about 5-10 minutes of attempting to tweak it, I was able to get NOTHING that sounded remotely like the snare actually vibrating/rattling agains the bottom head of a snare drum! :( I'm going trash this one, unless someone can tell me they were able to achieve something usable with this. :(

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, I lost the link to the manual by clicking ahead too fast while downloading/installing it, so was just guessing that it was a plug-in to remove snare buzz. Not sure if I'd ever want to add it; have tried that before for kicks, using another vendors "bass excitation" plug-in, and really hated the results as it muddied up the feel of the rhythmic pulse. Maybe it would work well on slow ballads.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
waxman

Post by waxman »

get a 57 and a snare play back the track with out of phase speakers. Record it. All the buzz you ever wanted. Why would I want something I've always tried to eliminate...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:Oh, I lost the link to the manual by clicking ahead too fast while downloading/installing it, so was just guessing that it was a plug-in to remove snare buzz. Not sure if I'd ever want to add it; have tried that before for kicks, using another vendors "bass excitation" plug-in, and really hated the results as it muddied up the feel of the rhythmic pulse. Maybe it would work well on slow ballads.
waxman wrote:get a 57 and a snare play back the track with out of phase speakers. Record it. All the buzz you ever wanted. Why would I want something I've always tried to eliminate...
Yeah... you guys are right. You've obviously been down that road. I thought in theory it might add "realism" but that's probably not the kind of realism you want. I came from the old 80s school where you gated the crap out of a drumkit anyway, not the raw "in-the-garage" sound that came later. Don't know why I thought it might be cool. :roll:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Snare buzz -- the logical next step. :shock: We have loads of plugins to add record noise, tape hiss, wow and flutter, overload, distortion, phasing and so on, all things people worked hard to get rid of before digital, and are now "creative tools". Why not snare buzz? The same site has plugins to emulate poorly positioned mics. Just think of all the effort you can save with that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:The same site has plugins to emulate poorly positioned mics. Just think of all the effort you can save with that.
Bwahahahahaha!!! :rofl:

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yea but the granddaddy of plugs designed to be terrible is Vinyl from Isotope. Free, thank goodness. Now 64bit—don't know if you can still get the old 32bit version that didn't play well with 32Lives.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/cre ... vinyl.html

That didn't stop it from being used on a few major label releases including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbW3lEl ... ExYn1IFYQG

Back to topic, I've always liked the tone that Dan Roberts' got from his Jazz Bass on this and other cuts from Crash Test Dummies. Hmmm... the web site says he plays a Warwick exclusively. Not when I saw them. Seems he uses a Boss OC-2, also. More fun...
https://www.boss.info/us/products/oc-2/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dado

Post by dado »

Just purchased right now but, where is the plug-in? My DP9.12 don't find it!!!!!
iMac 27" 3 ghz 32 Giga ram / DP 11 / Motu UltraLite mK4/ TLAudio Ivory 5051 / Addictive Drum2 / PRS Custom22 Guitar / Boss Katana100 / Line 6 Variax700 / Strat by Tino Tedesco
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

dado wrote:Just purchased right now but, where is the plug-in? My DP9.12 don't find it!!!!!
Look for it here for the AU version: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/MODO BASS.component
or here for VST: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/MODO BASS.vst
There's also a stand-alone app that installs in the application folder.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
IK Multimedia
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by IK Multimedia »

towerproductions wrote: Wish they had a fretless in there as well as I don't have anything for that and then I'd really be sold. Maybe in an update?
This has been sent to the devs before the release, it is possible to see in an update. If there is news about this I will post it on forums, socials, etc.