MODO Bass

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MODO Bass

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote: But to address the possible Elephant in The Room..
I personally dont get why anyone feels compelled to
post that they are not impressed with some product.
I dont see what purpose that serves, other than
to make one feel better about NOT buying it.
Just like with a product review, it is useful to hear about the weaknesses of a new product as well as the strengths. It's not the fact that someone is not impressed, it's the reason they are not impressed that can be informative, just as much as the reason someone is impressed.

Again, like formal reviews, comparisons to alternatives can be useful. If you're looking for a bass VI and someone tells you the Scarbee sounds better than the MODO, surely that's useful to take into account?

With MODO, it's a bit moot because we can all download the demo and try it out for ourselves.

For me, MODO was one of the rare times I got the immediate "there's that sound" experience. I think the last time was with Ultraverb.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

bayswater wrote:
David Polich wrote: But to address the possible Elephant in The Room..
to make one feel better about NOT buying it.
Just like with a product review, it is useful to hear about the weaknesses of a new product as well as the strengths. It's not the fact that someone is not impressed, it's the reason they are not impressed that can be informative, just as much as the reason someone is impressed.

Again, like formal reviews, comparisons to alternatives can be useful. If you're looking for a bass VI and someone tells you the Scarbee sounds better than the MODO, surely that's useful to.
Actually I dont feel that its useful to say something
sounds "better" than something else. That is far
too vague, and "better" is subjective. To say "I like
it better" is more honest, but at the same time
is equally useless.

I agree with Waxman that it is useful to point out
problems/issues with some product that need to
be fixed because that IS useful information.

I dont like anything Scarbee ever did except
the Rickenbacker bass. That statement
isnt helpful, it only illustrates my personal
preference.

Posting about a new product release is IMO
always helpful because sometimes that us
the only way others find out about it. It is
far too often that the ensuing product
discussion devolves into schoolyard "my
plugin is better than yours" arguments.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

What he said...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Actually I dont feel that its useful to say something
sounds "better" than something else. That is far
too vague, and "better" is subjective. To say "I like
it better" is more honest, but at the same time
is equally useless.
Agree, if that is all they say. The why is what matters.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm just happy Waxman brought MODO to our attention here.

PS: Though it may or may not matter, I'm liking it a lot. :lol:

PPS: Waxie's initial public service announcement started a chain of events for me:

1. Make redundant clones of awesome, always working Mountain Lion/DP8.07 boot SSD
2. Install and test Sierra on a boot clone running updated peripheral drivers
3. Install and Audition MODO Bass
4. Upgrade Studio Mac Pro boot SSD to Sierra
5. Activate Trim using Terminal command
6. Buy MODO and install on boot SSD
7. Purchase and Install DP9.12
6. Update peripheral drivers
8. Run Time Machine A and B backup
9. Buy AMD RX 460 GPU
10. Test GPU in back up Mac Pro
11. Install GPU in Studio Mac

It's all good. Thanks Waxman!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

David Polich wrote:
But to address the possible Elephant in The Room..
to make one feel better about NOT buying it.....
Its Christmastime, lets all lighten up a bit
about a product that only a very very tiny
fraction of the world's population know about.
I wouldn't normally comment any further as life is too short but really? Read my post which was not negative. I am told something is groundbreaking and I don't think it is - and that if you already have Reason then try the Reason Bass Refill which is very good and has done a lot of what MODO does with real samples and has done for years (and is therefore cheaper). That sounds positive to me and is an opinion which may help others. I am not criticising MODO bass (despite no fretless) as I am sure it is really good - although expensive in my opinion compared to an alternative I use. And I expanded the subject to modelled Reason and other pianos as they can be very good and low on memory use. Again positive from me. The negativity seemed to be about Reason Bass Refill.

And as for "lets all lighten up a bit"? This is a forum of opinions and advice and help - so now I shouldn't make comment about something if it is not complimentary or positive? And if I do I am being negative? Strange world. And strange forum if that was the rule. If you prefer I will keep my opinions to myself although that seems to defeat the object of a Usage, Techniques, Tips & Optimisation forum !

Anyway, if I ended on that note I would be accused of more darkness and gloom - but seasonal greetings to you David and enjoy your purchase which will work for you and others very well I am sure !
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:I'm just happy Waxman brought MODO to our attention here.

PS: Though it may or may not matter, I'm liking it a lot. :lol:

PPS: Waxie's initial public service announcement started a chain of events for me:

1. Make redundant clones of awesome, always working Mountain Lion/DP8.07 boot SSD
2. Install and test Sierra on a boot clone running updated peripheral drivers
3. Install and Audition MODO Bass
4. Upgrade Studio Mac Pro boot SSD to Sierra
5. Activate Trim using Terminal command
6. Buy MODO and install on boot SSD
7. Purchase and Install DP9.12
6. Update peripheral drivers
8. Run Time Machine A and B backup
9. Buy AMD RX 460 GPU
10. Test GPU in back up Mac Pro
11. Install GPU in Studio Mac

It's all good. Thanks Waxman!
YAY!!! Marcus... and during the whole process playing Sara Bareilles "I Wanna See You Be Brave."
PS I'm still blown away with the vari speed ADAT fix.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
I wouldn't normally comment any further as life is too short but really? Read my post which was not negative. I am told something is groundbreaking and I don't think it is - and that if you already have Reason then try the Reason Bass Refill which is very good and has done a lot of what MODO does with real samples and has done for years (and is therefore cheaper). That sounds positive to me and is an opinion which may help others. I am not criticising MODO bass (despite no fretless) as I am sure it is really good - although expensive in my opinion compared to an alternative I use. And I expanded the subject to modelled Reason and other pianos as they can be very good and low on memory use. Again positive from me. The negativity seemed to be about Reason Bass Refill.
!
Hey Gaz have you previously posted about Reason Bass Refill?
waxman
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

waxman wrote:
Reason Bass Refill was released in 2008 so has been around quite a while and I was relatively new to DP as my main DAW - so no recommendation at the time from me. I may have mentioned it in posts about Reason but Reason doesn't seem to be popular on this forum and regarded by some as a bit of a poor relation and not a proper DAW. I use it purely for sounds Rewired to DP.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Reason doesn't seem to be popular on this forum and regarded by some as a bit of a poor relation and not a proper DAW. I use it purely for sounds Rewired to DP.
I never thought of it as poor or improper, but when I played around with it around V2, it seemed to me it was more a synth rack, and a really good one, than anything else. And it looks like that's how you use it. Reason seemed to have a very different learning curve that was not transferable to other applications, making it a big time investment.

It's not usually presented as a mainstream DAW, as in this statement from a review of V9:
"Reason 9 ... continues [the] long march toward doing things that DAWs do."

If I'm missing something, please say so. I'm always interested in alternatives.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

bayswater wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:Reason doesn't seem to be popular on this forum and regarded by some as a bit of a poor relation and not a proper DAW. I use it purely for sounds Rewired to DP.
I never thought of it as poor or improper, but when I played around with it around V2, it seemed to me it was more a synth rack, and a really good one, than anything else. And it looks like that's how you use it.
Yes - I don't like the sequencer - but even still it is much more than a synth rack! It is a really good sampler (several good samplers), beat maker, guitar (amp sims) and vocal recorder, effects processing, and sound mangling post production - and yes a very good source of synth sounds too. So good for pretty much every sound source and some of the rack instruments are inspirational in music making - which is how I use it. With DP as the main recording/mixing device, Reason is a very powerful tool.
Gary Shepherd
waxman

Post by waxman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
waxman wrote:
Reason Bass Refill was released in 2008 so has been around quite a while and I was relatively new to DP as my main DAW - so no recommendation at the time from me. I may have mentioned it in posts about Reason but Reason doesn't seem to be popular on this forum and regarded by some as a bit of a poor relation and not a proper DAW. I use it purely for sounds Rewired to DP.
As a suggestion it may be cool if you posted another thread on Reasons Bass Refill as an alternative bass VI then did an extensive breakdown. I think the negative impression comes from your original post starts with challenging the "ground breaking" (take who ever wrote that?) Followed by a extensive sales job on the goodness of Refill. May have been kind of a buzz kill at the party, at least for some of the MODO men. When a new product comes out that is catching interest a positive aspect at M-nation is getting cool ideas from the other users that use the same DAW. Sure people can just ignore the rabbit trail but I find it annoying. And I am as guilty as Shooshie and Mike for stories.

So I have read great posts you have brought to the forum and you have helped me more then a few times. So not trying to crack on you G Gaz. You obviously have a lot of experience and knowledge. You certainly don't need my permission for anything, just say'n.
waxman
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

David Polich wrote: Speaking as a longtime keyboardist and sound designer/programmer, I'll say this...MODO Bass is hands down the best virtual electric bass instrument I have ever come across. Period.....

Here's a good example of how MODO Bass shines against sampled bass VI's - the slides. To get a slide, you play and hold the start note, and while holding it, play the target note. The harder you play, the faster the slide. And it really sounds like you are sliding over the frets. Sampled slide effects are always at some fixed tempo which may not be the tempo of your song, or the wrong start note or end note.

For me this is a game-changer and a must have.
Waxman - the above was what I was responding to - however the demos on YouTube for Reason Bass Refill would do a better job than me of selling it as a product.

Proppellerhead's promo in 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHoiNngM8k

A better demo of how to add articulations, glissandos etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtT2dia_D8

It is really good and quite simple to use and you don't need to do any of this on the Reason sequencer. It is not really a VI but more a good sample set with great modifier keys. The samples are excellent and have many variations of hammer on and off, slide, glissandos, ghost notes. string noise etc. - so I thought it worth mentioning in comparison.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
waxman

Post by waxman »

Is all that came out of my post who wrote "game changer?" Thanks for the Reason Refill info.
waxman
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Guitar Gaz, no offense taken and I'm happy
you are happy with Reason.

I dont think you are quite grasping the significance
of MODO Bass. Yes it sounds like a bass guitar,
if you leave it at that it seems like no big deal.
What is easy to overlook is that it is modeling..
no samples. That it sounds as good as it does in
itself no small achievement. This is convincing
instrument sound created by algorithms.

If you take the time to re-read the initial press release
explaining all the features, its a long list of
features not found in any other bass VI. If you
have the demo, you need to try all the parameters..
the size of the pick and angle, the position of the fingers
above the frets, physical position of the pickups
(they can be exchanged freely and moved anywhere)
the intensity of the pull or slap, age of the strings,
how high the action is set, the piezo pickup which
gives you that extra "wire" and bite..I havent named
all of them.

MODO took eight years to develop. And after
using it, I can see why. And like Pianoteq, it
will only be improved upon. I dont know how
many times I have found myself thinking,
"this product would be perfect if it wasn't for
---------". Fill in the blank with undesirable aspect.

I dislike being stuck with a sound. MODO
allows me freedom to make the sound I want.
Just as Pianoteq does for my piano sounds,
and Amplitube 4 does for my amp sounds.
As good as a recorded or sampled sound is,
I cannot later change that sound if I need to.
I like options. MODO gives me those options.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com