MODO Bass

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MODO Bass

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Sorta' bummed. This is the first VI I've wanted that has enforced 10.9 or higher. The installer won't run under 10.8. Just gonna' have to pass; I can't afford the risk/time to move to a more current OS right now. Not like I'm hurting for bass sounds, but MODO looks pretty cool.
I wonder if there's a way to trick it into installing. A lot of times you can inspect the package contents and find executables inside that will run. They may have a good reason, but I'm always curious if you can simply create the directories and move the proper files where they belong and put the AU in the Components folder and get it to work that way.
I don't know how to do that. Any hints? I'll do a little Google research in the interim...

Edit:
https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article ... installing

OK. Assuming I am able to open the package, how will I know where the components go?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OK. Assuming I am able to open the package, how will I know where the components go?
Because Apple restricts the locations of installed files, this is easier than it used to be. Someone who already has it installed may be able to figure it out by comparing the installer package with installed components.

If no one has done so by Sunday, I'll have a crack at it but I won't be able to make the time before then,

Sometimes, you have to show hidden files. I'll edit this post to show the Terminal commands that still work for that—many you find on the internet do not. The ones that work in Sierra work backwards but many of the older commands haven't since OS 10.5.

To show Hidden Files: Copy and paste the following into Terminal, hit the Enter or Return key. You do not have to reboot when you run killall Finder.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To re-hide hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall FinderI opened the installer but couldn't read it well enough to figure out where the scripts place everything. Sorry.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks Mike. I'll take a look!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Best sounding virtual bass I have ever played. By the way, VERY “play-able”, and the mod wheel for vibrato is well done, not overly vibrating, sounds realistic. Only thing bad I can say about IK is I wish IK could have reimbursed me for the stupid ARC system I bought years ago. What a waste of money. But MODO is excellent.
As a multi instrumental player, I can play real bass. But for mock ups, this will be great. And, occasionally a MIDI Bass will end up on a record of mine so, if any virtual bass has a chance, this MODO bass might make it through to final cut. I love getting to hear a given bass line with different basses. Another thing that could be better would be the audio drops out when switching basses. It would be cool if they could tighten up the time it takes to switch basses, or eliminate it altogether, but all in all, Nice job IK.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

I sure wish they had included fretless basses.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MartinBaird wrote:I sure wish they had included fretless basses.
Martin
+1 Maybe give them time for future updates
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

The more I use this thing, the more I like it. This is definitely a keeper!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm going to try it on a slap/pop bass line that I didn't yet get around to tracking with a real bass as I did some recent revisions to the bass line and the song arrangement. It will be a true test, on this particular song, which has done pretty well using Orange Tree Samples Cherry Bass.

Hopefully I'll get a chance shortly, but am way backed up due to being in L.A. for the holidays and remaining non-stop slammed at the office (12-14 hour days for longer than I can remember). I have to prioritize preparing for some live drum recording sessions next weekend, but am hoping to work on my own material a bit today as well.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

apanacci wrote:Bought it , love it !!! Used my JAM points. $150.00 Canadian
$124 USD with my JAM points. Didn't know I had them! I've purchased quite a few IK-M products over the years that I'd completely forgotten about (i bet many of you have too. check it). ...will MODO Bass, be yet another vestigial IK-M product? We'll see.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

HCMarkus wrote:Sorta' bummed. This is the first VI I've wanted that has enforced 10.9 or higher. The installer won't run under 10.8. Just gonna' have to pass; I can't afford the risk/time to move to a more current OS right now. Not like I'm hurting for bass sounds, but MODO looks pretty cool.
Me, too!

Was getting ready to click the PayPal Pay button and thought about the compatibility with 10.8.5. Went back and downloaded the "demo".

Sure enough, it will not install.

Like you, I really don't wanna change my OS right now, but I may be eventually running out of options.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, I lost $42 or more of JamPoints a couple of years ago, before I understood what they were and how to use them (or that I had them!). Kind of a bummer. But I certainly take advantage of them anymore. Especially now that you can effectively combine them with store credits and then wait for a sale where fewer credits are required.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mhschmieder wrote:Yeah, I lost $42 or more of JamPoints a couple of years ago, before I understood what they were and how to use them (or that I had them!). Kind of a bummer. But I certainly take advantage of them anymore. Especially now that you can effectively combine them with store credits and then wait for a sale where fewer credits are required.
I had about $26 (forgot what I even bought!) and it was applied before I almost hit the PayPal button. Since I cancelled, I still have the JamPoints.)

If I could easily go to Mavericks, I would, but I never got it from the App Store so it's not showing as available to download and I can't go to Sierra as my 2009 MacPro is not compatible.

I found a few links to *maybe* allow a download, but I'm not 100% positive that they're trustworthy.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
waxman wrote:I am a Pro bass player. Made a great living playing bass. When I saw this today it made me think I should have just studied keyboards...
Have you tried it with different controllers? Like a MIDI converter on guitar?
To answer my own question, it plays with a guitar to MIDI converter OK, but it's still easier to get it as close as possible with a keyboard then tweak the MIDI. Looks like they've worked very hard to get it to respond to a keyboard and get the phrasing to sound like a bass.

It's response to minor pitch bend from a MIDI guitar is unpredictable, from the hour or two I spent trying that setup. And the various models don't sound like they are all tuned to A440 although the interface says they are, and they do sound in tune when played from a keyboard. E.g., if I tune the guitar to the pitch played back by the Ric model, it sounds sharp agains the PBass model, and sometimes plays a half tone too high.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bayswater wrote:
bayswater wrote:
waxman wrote:I am a Pro bass player. Made a great living playing bass. When I saw this today it made me think I should have just studied keyboards...
Have you tried it with different controllers? Like a MIDI converter on guitar?
To answer my own question, it plays with a guitar to MIDI converter OK, but it's still easier to get it as close as possible with a keyboard then tweak the MIDI. Looks like they've worked very hard to get it to respond to a keyboard and get the phrasing to sound like a bass.

It's response to minor pitch bend from a MIDI guitar is unpredictable, from the hour or two I spent trying that setup. And the various models don't sound like they are all tuned to A440 although the interface says they are, and they do sound in tune when played from a keyboard. E.g., if I tune the guitar to the pitch played back by the Ric model, it sounds sharp agains the PBass model, and sometimes plays a half tone too high.
About 10 yrs ago, I had the idea that I’d use my MIDI guitar to program in DP. In all the yrs since, I have only found maybe 2 occasions where it wa easier than a keyboard. Until there’s some new, groundbreaking developments in MIDI guitar, I just dont think it ready for prime time for DAW programing. However, for live music, I have had years of successful work with MIDI guitar, using it for everything from Salsa music as a keyboardist/horn section, to chic corea=type jazz. So it does have it’s uses. But I hate having to go into DP and deal with all the crazy MIDI note artifacts, strange controller #s etc, after tracking with MIDI guitar in DP.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:About 10 yrs ago, I had the idea that I’d use my MIDI guitar to program in DP. In all the yrs since, I have only found maybe 2 occasions where it wa easier than a keyboard. Until there’s some new, groundbreaking developments in MIDI guitar, I just dont think it ready for prime time for DAW programing. However, for live music, I have had years of successful work with MIDI guitar, using it for everything from Salsa music as a keyboardist/horn section, to chic corea=type jazz. So it does have it’s uses. But I hate having to go into DP and deal with all the crazy MIDI note artifacts, strange controller #s etc, after tracking with MIDI guitar in DP.
I had an IVL Pitchrider with hex pickups that sent the signal for each string on a separate channel. That helped a bit with the artifacts, but the delay was still a problem, especially on the lower strings. Playing bass parts on the guitar an octave up and transposing worked a bit better than a keyboard. Now I'm using a Sonuus converter. It's OK, but MODO Bass works so well with a keyboard, it's not worth the effort to use the Sonuus. They make a model specifically for bass, but when a string is vibrating at 50Hz, it's going to take 20ms to complete one cycle, so there is no possibility of getting latency better than that. I've never tried a MIDI guitar that can sense the string and fret being used, and can in theory send the MIDI data without latency.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8