How to Use Activity Monitor to Prevent Crashes?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pacificm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to Use Activity Monitor to Prevent Crashes?

Post by pacificm »

I entered this post earlier on the General Macintosh Forum with no replies. Perhaps this forum is more appropriate.

I'm using Digital Performer 9 (DP) with Virtual Instruments (VIs). I prefer not to freeze or bounce if possible. I started to run into crashes when I loaded too many VIs in a project. I recently started using Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP) to help spread out the VIs to different computers. That has definitely helped.

However, that still leaves unanswered the question of how many Vis one can safely load onto any one computer - whether it be with DP and/or a VEP server without crashing? Not only is crashing unpleasant, it can corrupt a file and make it unusable. People have referred me to the Mac Activity Monitor (AM). But it has never been clear to me exactly how to use it. I've never been able to locate online guidelines on how to use the AM - especially when using VIs.

What AM readings are critical to monitor to prevent crashes? Is % CPU the critical reading? If so, what values from the monitor are within normal ranges or out of normal ranges for using DP or VEP to avoid crashes? For example, the % CPU readings can vary a lot within a brief sequence depending on the VIs being used. At times, on my Master/DP machine with a VEP server also running, DP and VEP % CPU readings can jump up to about 50.0 each at the same time - and that's with just a few VIs running. Is that too high?

Please advise what I should do help maximize the use of my computers using this or other monitors to avoid crashes.

Thanks!
1) iMac (2020, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel i7) OS X 10.15.7, 72 GB RAM
2) iMac Quad Core (Late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7) OS X 10.15.7, 32 GB RAM,
3) Mac Pro (Late 2013, 6.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5) OS X 10.15.7, 64 GB RAM

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
bayswater

Re: How to Use Activity Monitor to Prevent Crashes?

Post by bayswater »

Activity Monitor just tells you what is happening. It doesn't do anything to prevent crashes or tell you one if about to happen.

It is recommended on this forum from time to time because the processing and playback load meters in DP never appears to correspond to the actual load DP is placing on the computer. It is typical to have these meters in the red while Activity Monitor shows low CPU use.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would max out the RAM on that second iMac. Replacing the HHD with an SSD is an easy DIY and will let it run cooler. That will help.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I use the Activity Monitor to monitor the relative RAM and CPU use if I'm running multiple applications. My rule of thumb is if you see memory swaps, then you are maxing out your RAM. Web browsers, especially Chrome in my case, are incredible memory hogs.

I also use AM to help familiarize myself with what processes are running, and when. Each process is easily Googled, and I check it now and then to see if any unknown or nefarious processes are running.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31