Questions re: meters & mixing for mastering

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
muxlow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Questions re: meters & mixing for mastering

Post by muxlow »

I'm trying to be a good mixer and keep my levels low for the mastering engineer.

Common wisdom seems to be "Keep it about -12."

To keep my mix that low, faders for instruments are routinely -20, -22 and even lower. This seems very wrong.

Additionally, the level coming out of the monitors is really, really, REALLY quiet and commercial recordings are deafening in comparison. I get that unmastered is less loud, but this is a shocking "you'll hurt yourself if you accidentally hit play in iTunes w/o turning down the speakers first" difference.

And, when I play a commercial, mastered track the meters on the Master fader are hitting +6 (no clipping).

So is +6 actually 0 and -6 actually -12?

If so, why?

If not.....wha?

Thank you so much and I hope this isn't a RTFM situation cuz I didn't find nothing in there.
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
waxman

Re: Questions re: meters & mixing for mastering

Post by waxman »

This tutorial should answer your questions... It has to do with Voltage.

https://www.myrecordingrevolution.com/p ... -to-mixing#

Here is another if you want to read it...

http://www.studioskills.net/written-blo ... sweet-spot
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Nibiru

Post by Nibiru »

Great reads. Thank you.
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

Excellent, thank you so much!

The written article explained a lot but I'm still trying to wrap my head around that works in a mix.

Do I put a Trim plugin in front of my other plugins (all pre-fader, by default) to get the incoming audio in the sweet spot?
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
muxlow

Post by muxlow »

Watching the video now (didn't realize it's free) and yep:

Put a Trim in front of your plugs and get the incoming, pre-fader audio to about -18.

Thank you so much, Waxman!!!

:woohoo:
M1 Mac mini
16gb RAM
macOS before Sonoma
DP 11
MOTU 24Ao
ART TubeOpto8
Ramsa WR-S4424 mixer
waxman

Post by waxman »

YW
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.