Fast Volume Automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Krakadon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Fast Volume Automation

Post by Krakadon »

I'm a DP man all the way (since '99). But I do use other DAWs for collaboration. I have recently been learning Pro Tools and I'm amazed how fast you can do volume automation. Select the volume layer, drag L-R to make track selection, position curser for trim tool and drag up-down to change volume, and you can have multiple tracks selected to change volume on all tracks and change tools for other variations besides "make volume of selection x db". Is there a way to do this so quickly in DP?
Krakadon
Rock, metal, Nashville, TN

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* Apollo Quad FW (FW9.0), UAD-2 Quad FW, UAD-2 Quad TB, M Audio Oxygen 49
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
* UA 4-710d, RNC-1773, Shure SM-57, SM-58, SM7B, Rode NT1-A
Krakadon

Re: Fast Volume Automation

Post by Krakadon »

Nobody?
Krakadon

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Hey there,
I can think of a couple of ways that you might do this in DP. The fastest is probably to use the pencil or reshape tool (in "set" mode) set to "flat" in the sequence editor. Just draw the line over the duration you want to change. With the pencil tool, you'll get a ramp from/to the values before/after your edit. With the reshape tool, you won't. The latter is closest to the PT behavior you're describing, I believe. Other ways to do it:

Soundbite Gain
Cut the soundbite, then specify bite gain in dB using Audio ->Set Bite Gain

Soundbite Volume
Use the pencil/reshape tools as above, or effect the entire bite using the Bite Volume options in the audio menu.

Insert Continuous Data
For multiple tracks, select the area in all the tracks, the right-click and choose "insert continuous data". Choose "Audio Volume". If you want a curve, you can do that, or just enter the same value for the start and end, and you'll get a flat line.

Hopefully one of those fits the bill. Any of those can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, which makes it pretty speedy.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
Krakadon

Post by Krakadon »

Thanks mesayre! Pencil with curve shape "flat", reshape enabled and behavior "set" is much faster than my previous work flow so thanks for that. I still think the ease and speed of changing bite volume and track volume is much better in Pro Tools. I'll ask MOTU if they can add some features.
Krakadon

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Krakadon wrote:I'm a DP man all the way (since '99). But I do use other DAWs for collaboration. I have recently been learning Pro Tools and I'm amazed how fast you can do volume automation. Select the volume layer, drag L-R to make track selection, position curser for trim tool and drag up-down to change volume, and you can have multiple tracks selected to change volume on all tracks and change tools for other variations besides "make volume of selection x db". Is there a way to do this so quickly in DP?
For years I have asked MOTU to replicate this pro tools feature. It is a nice feature and makes one miss pro tools when working in DP. In DP, you have to create your own end edit points and section those edit points off before trying such a maneuver. No where near as nice.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Krakadon

Post by Krakadon »

Glad I'm not the only one. Like I said I was shocked how much faster and easier this is in Pro Tools. MOTU needs to replicate this capability in DP.
Krakadon

fdco

Post by fdco »

What about this:

In the Sequence Editor,
Show the layer you want to automate for each track you want to automate.
Select these tracks.
Type T twice (temporary grouping).
Select the IBeam tool (shortcut "I") and make a time selection in one of the selected tracks.
Select the trim tool (shortcut ":") .
Place it above an automation line on any selected track and drag up or down.

Faster to do than to read
Mac Book Pro M1 32gb -2TB,
Apogee Symphony Thunderbridge,
DP11, MTPAV, Linnstrument, Chapman Stick
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

fdco wrote:What about this:

In the Sequence Editor,
Show the layer you want to automate for each track you want to automate.
Select these tracks.
Type T twice (temporary grouping).
Select the IBeam tool (shortcut "I") and make a time selection in one of the selected tracks.
Select the trim tool (shortcut ":") .
Place it above an automation line on any selected track and drag up or down.

Faster to do than to read
I think i know what you’re saying but would have to replicate it to know for sure or see it in a video. However,you do remind me of how DP is better than pro tools for temp grouping. By the way, it’s “W” for temp grouping. You can either hold for the most temporary grouping, or double tap it for semi permanent grouping which does;t end until you hit “w” again.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Yes! This is exactly the behavior. So much faster than the way I used to do this! BTW, the short cut for the trim tool is "/". "T" temporarily groups selection. "W" temporarily groups visible tracks. I didn't know these tricks either. So much easier to learn from other users than with 1,000 page manuals. Thank you!
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
fdco

Post by fdco »

BTW, the short cut for the trim tool is "/"
Yes - Sorry, I'm using a french keyboard and custom keybindings.
Mac Book Pro M1 32gb -2TB,
Apogee Symphony Thunderbridge,
DP11, MTPAV, Linnstrument, Chapman Stick
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Fantastic. I learned something new.

Thanks!
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Krakadon wrote:Glad I'm not the only one.
When there's something about DP you're not entirely happy with, you can always count on TDH to pile on.

We're still waiting for him to reveal why he uses DP at all.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Gravity Jim wrote:
When there's something about DP you're not entirely happy with, you can always count on TDH to pile on.

Having completely forgotten this thread, you can see my surprise to see I’m being maligned in what appears to be some sort of latent, resentful attack. I’ve seen your work Jim, it is utterly simplistic compared to what I do on a daily basis. I mention this not as a “slight” to you, as “simple” can be powerful (of course).
But I mention this as it is a technical fact that you do not, in NO way, drive your system as hard as I drive mine.
So before you attack my opinions in an unwarranted fashion, make sure you are technically comparing apples to apples. You and I do NOT do the same depth nor complexity of music. Nor do we work in the same high pressure, artist-star studded realms where mistakes are completely unacceptable when made in front of major artists. So while some dude doing film and tv or documentary tracks can have errors and be slightly “annoyed", another producer with a major artist in the booth..cannot be but outraged and embarrassed! And thus is born a different standard of excellence and demand for perfection.

Apples to apples man.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:

No need to take a shot at TDH. He has a right to express his opinions here. Lacking a PERFECT DAW, and there is no such thing, online forums like this one tend to attract much more discussion about what's lacking, than what's good.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:

No need to take a shot at TDH. He has a right to express his opinions here. Lacking a PERFECT DAW, and there is no such thing, online forums like this one tend to attract much more discussion about what's lacking, than what's good.
Thanks James. I cannot recall being in here for some time to complain anyway. It was pretty random to see Jims post. I am Parked at 9.02 anyway and thus have not had much to say. Seems like the newest version of DP is a very mixed bag, working fine for some, and like me, not working well for others. As long as I can stay parked at 9.02, I won't complain too much. However, I don't think it's good for the company for this new latency compensation version to to be such a mixed bag. I have been watching all over, from Facebook to other forms. I have no doubt that the results have been very mixed. "Mixed", is not a successful released to me. See? Now I have complained LOL
I want MOTU to do well, for when MOTU does well, then I have a long-term support system. It does not make me happy to not be totally thrilled about the latest release, I would love to be totally thrilled. By the way, I am also not on the latest OS, which seems to also have problems for some. We all go around in circles, going through the same problems throughout different versions of operating systems and DP. We are all hamsters on the technology treadmill LOL
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13