Ensemble plug works wonders with Proverb

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ensemble plug works wonders with Proverb

Post by mesayre »

Hey folks,
After a day of tracking at a studio that had some nice vintage Lexicon reverb hardware, I was yet again put on a quest to find the perfect verb for my setup ITB. I was chasing that beautiful "ooooooo" the Lexi gets on upper strings, and the almost-but-not-quite slapback sound it gets on French Horns.

I finally dusted off the Ensemble plugin that shipped with DP 8, and slapped it on an aux track after Proverb with a run-of-the-mill IR loaded. DP's plugin manual mentions that the Ensemble plugin was specifically designed for this, but I never tried it out before. I was very pleased with the result. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly encourage you to give it a go. Really adds some nice weight & depth to synth plugins, and seems to help with that problem of dry samples sitting 'on top' of the reverb. Not exactly like the hardware, but definitely better to my ears than just a clean IR. I was surprised by how big of a difference it made. Cheers, MOTU.

Happy mixing
Mike
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ensemble plug works wonders with Proverb

Post by David Polich »

So I assume you meant using Ensemble to
"chorus" the reverb, yes?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Wondering as well.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Yes! I do mean that.

This particular chorus has a long max delay time (over 100ms), and a depth control that's independent of the delay time, so it really is more of a chorus + delay. The cross-delay is useful too. Allows for a nice range of subtle or extreme effects.

Hardly a new idea, but this plugin does it very well. Very well-designed, though a bit intimidating to look at.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Nice trick. I have to try that. Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Makes me wonder if adding that modulation to the chorus helps to bring in some "algorithmic reverb" elements into this convolution reverb. I'll add this to my list of things to try! Thx!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Cool tip. Thanx.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Keep in mind that there are a few ways to do this with different sounding results.
Among them:

1 Pre-ProVerb.
2 Post-ProVerb.
3 On separate Aux track.

I use method 3 a lot when I mix convolution and modeled reverb together. For example, one Aux with ProVerb and one with UAD plate reverb utilizing two separate sends on each track. I'm sure you can come up with other options that will sound different as well. Also don't forget mono vs stereo sends and panning of stereo sends. So many possibilities!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.