Help with multiple Audio interfaces

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LittleJJ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help with multiple Audio interfaces

Post by LittleJJ »

Guys, I'm stumped (that said, I stump easily). I am trying to add physical inputs to my DP setup to accommodate new synths. I use the Apollo firewire interface and am trying to add a MOTU 828, sync'ed via word clock. Everything seems to be going OK until I get to Configure Hardware Driver and highlight (select) both the Apollo and the MOTU interface. Within about 10 seconds I get a spinning wheel of frustration and an error message: The audio hardware did not respond. (MotuAudioSystem Mas MasCoreAudioWork Thread.cpp, 99 [57:0]).
Then I'm done, because it takes me back to Configure Audio Driver and I must choose either the 828 of the Apollo butcannot do both. And whatever interface I choose, the other one goes offline so I'm getting exactly nowhere.
Can anyone tell me how to get this setup working?
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 12-core running Yosemite
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
Don T

Re: Help with multiple Audio interfaces

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Create an aggregate device. you may also have to turn your host multiplier to 2.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I'm using a FW Apollo with a USB Midas M32R > DP8 and it's working fine. Maybe these are set in software and this suggestion is moot, but I would look at the sample rate of the units and DP and make sure everything matches up. It may be that one is set at 44.1 and the other is 48K for example. Just an idea.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

Did you shift click on the second interface? That's how you get more units to work at the same time.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If you are not using available optical i/o on both devices, consider connecting via optical ports and using the 828 as expander, not an interface.
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

HCMarkus wrote:If you are not using available optical i/o on both devices, consider connecting via optical ports and using the 828 as expander, not an interface.
I'm using that technique to send 8 channels of digital audio from an older 828mkII to a new motu 8m, which then forwards it to my Mac on its thunderbolt cable. (There are ten channels on an 828, but the optical cable can only carry 8.)
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com