DP, Finale and Rewire...anybody had any success?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rpmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP, Finale and Rewire...anybody had any success?

Post by rpmusic »

The latest version of Finale can use Rewire to connect to your host DAW. The only tutorials that I can find is using Logic...has anyone tried this using DP?
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP, Finale and Rewire...anybody had any success?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I did and it was a disaster with the initial release of F25. Supposedly been fixed. I returned the software and got a refund. It is the most convoluted way of "implementing" a movie window you can imagine. Even SMPTE sync from a VCR was easier than this.

:mumble:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

How did I never notice the "angry" smiley before???

That thing is really quite excellent.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I did and it was a disaster with the initial release of F25. Supposedly been fixed. I returned the software and got a refund. It is the most convoluted way of "implementing" a movie window you can imagine. Even SMPTE sync from a VCR was easier than this.

:mumble:
Sorry you had bad results...I've been a finale user since 1988 - my first serial number was 000566 :D

Even though you didn't have much success, can you share the steps on how you tried to get it to work. I'm just at a loss even in the initial setup...I've installed rewire but not even sure how that is supposed to appear in DP and then how to get it to connect to Finale and.....I'm clueless at this point!
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You might try calling MakeMusic Support and see if they can walk you through it.

I find the new help files to be completely useless. With pdf, you can enter a search term and scroll through with arrow keys to find what you want—takes seconds. Now, you have to open and close many web pages to see if what you need even exists. Time consuming and frustrating. I often call, now. Usually tech doesn't know then emails the correct link by the next day ... except when I find yet another bug (many were fixed in 25.1).

MM has emailed a few tutorials recently. One on using Rewire would be most welcome, I bet.

Definitely not impressed with 25.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In theory, Rewire simply sends the audio data (not the MIDI data) to the DAW which then becomes the master. No playback in Finale unless you use the DAW's transport. I'm DP Finale showed up as an instrument but it took a while to even get that far.

The audio never actually arrived at DP but the DP transport did show the wiper in F25 moving. It the connection was soon lost and you have to restart the programs to get at least that far. Still no audio.

The concept of working that was is the equivalent of outsourcing to foreign nations and entities. Interesting concept, but the homeland suffers in other ways. As far as I am concerned, Finale is dead. I don't say that lightly. I was their poster boy twice (in 1996 and as recently as 2011). I really liked it until this version. I'll just see up to F2014 but I'm looking at other options. If I can't score to picture for live musicians in the notation app it becomes useless to me. RIP MakeYouSick.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS