Using DP with Live Show AND Video

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using DP with Live Show AND Video

Post by wonder »

I'm helping a friend produce a Live Show and I got him into DP for playback of tracks because He loves the CHUNKS feature.

They're thinking of getting into Video sync (pre produced Video synced to their backing tracks).

I'm wondering, how do the "big guys" do it?

As of now, each song is on a different Chunk. When 1 Chunk (song) is done, it cues the next song and the drummer presses the space bar to trigger the next song.

They want to add video to a lot of their songs but as I'm aware, a different video cannot be assigned to each Chunk. The way DP is setup, its 1 video assignment PER project.

I suggested setting up their show in 1 chunk (linearly) and have 1 video produced that just runs throughout the show. But he doesn't want to do that for whatever reason.

How would one go about running a show from DP that is synced to Video?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
Grigri
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using DP with Live Show AND Video

Post by Grigri »

Hello.
I have set up a system like this for a band.

Some informations:
- one video per chunk (or sequence...) is possible
To achieve that, you have to uncheck "use same movie for all sequence" located in the dropdown menu in the video track in the sequence editor.

- When they want a fast and timed chaining for songs (IE song 1, 2 & 3 are chained) They have one sequence with the 3 songs and the video for these song is in one piece

- We had to buy an external thunderbolt video card - (for us the Blackmagic Ultrastudio mini monitor)

Hope that helps! Good luck for your set up
Grigrisound

OSX 10.11.6 - MacPro Octo 2.8 - 12G RAM - Macbook pro 2017 I5 - 16 G RAM - Digital Performer 10.11 - Motu 828mk3 - Steven Slate - UAD2 -
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Using DP with Live Show AND Video

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Another option for ultimate flexibility is to use Pro Video Player 2 (from Renewed Vision) on a second Mac. I connect it to my DP Mac with an Ethernet cable and set up a network connection in Audio MIDI Setup on my DP Mac. Then I use a track in DP to send MIDI commands to PVP 2 to cue up, start, and stop video clips. Instead of trying to pre-edit video clips to perfectly fit the song, you can often just put in MIDI commands in DP to start one clip for each section of the song and have it loop and repeat until you cue up the next clip for the next section of the song.

PVP 2 is a pricey program, but you can try the free trial first and see how you like it. It has a few quirks, but is really powerful. If you connect a Matrox TripleHead 2go box to your video Mac, you can output individual video clips to 3 different screens or projectors, or make one video clip span across all 3 for cool effects.

I now use two 2012 Mac minis (with quad core i7 processors) which I've rack-mounted side by side to run our live show. With a KVM switcher, I can control both the DP Mac and the video Mac with one keyboard and trackball rack-mounted on a sliding drawer.

If you only need to feed video to one projector or screen, there might be a cheaper program to get the job done. Anybody know?

Doug