Inserting Time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
KenNickels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Inserting Time

Post by KenNickels »

I'd like to hear how you insert time in the Sequence window.

Here's how I do it, and there must be a better way. First off, insert measures is not precise enough. So I move to the very end of the sequence where there is no data. I select the precise amount of time and copy it to the clipboard. Then move back to the insert point and cmd-K. With long sequences this is cumbersome. And I do it a lot.

Is there a way to select everything to the right of the insert bar? That way I could nudge it, grid on or not. Motu said to just use the zoom functions, in order to select, but that's cumbersome too. Once you zoom out so that you don't have to scroll a hundred miles, the gui is too small to be accurate.

It's very easy to delete time, cmd-J, but there is no corollary for inserting time. Am I missing something?
Last edited by KenNickels on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
Guitar Gaz

Re: Inserting Time

Post by Guitar Gaz »

There should be a better way - what I do is in the Track Overview - I select all tracks (after the point I want to insert time) and then drag them all to the right (for the amount of time I want to add). It works but is a little cumbersome especially when some MIDI is "early" and therefore doesn't go with the section dragged.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

I found it. "Move Selection to End" did the trick. Easy! Thanks
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

KenNickels wrote:I found it. "Move Selection to End" did the trick. Easy! Thanks
Same thing but maybe a little quicker:

Sorry for stating the obvious with a lot of the hot keys but not everyone will know these.

Open 'Snap Information' (shift+ctrl+G) in the side panel. In the 'nudge' drop down select what ever time format you want to use to insert the time (i.e. measure, beats, ticks, realtime etc) then enter the actual time/value you want, next to it.

In the transport window 'main time' section (left most time display) in the little drop down option to the right (small green downwards triangle) select the time format you want to use.

Hit cmd+T (or decimal point on the numeric keypad) and enter the insertion point for the gap and hit return so the transport wiper jumps to that play position.

Select all tracks cmd+A in 'TO' (tracks overview) window, then ctrl+cmd+E to open them in the Sequence editor.

Hit alt+Y to split all audio tracks and MIDI notes at this point.

Now hit shift+alt+return to select everything (MIDI and audio) all the way to the end of sequence.

Now simply hit the → . . . Right arrow key to nudge everything to the right, by the exact amount that you entered in the snap window.

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/