Big thumbs up for Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensembles.....

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Big thumbs up for Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensembles.....

Post by MikeInBoston »

The new Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensembles is the best collection of ensembles that I've ever heard. For $199 (intro price), it's a steal. The woodwinds are sweet, the brass sound like brass, and the strings are lovely. And the ensembles are very configurable. In my opinion, they sound better than Symphobia, Albion, and the rest. I use ensembles all the time when I sketch for orchestra, and later I will split the chords into individual instrument tracks. These ensembles are so good, I may end up doing a lot less splitting. Can you tell that I like them? LOL!

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Big thumbs up for Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Ensembles.....

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Dude! 8) - seriously, thank you! I only listened to the YOuTube demo and was sold fast. Definitely bought in. I am in your debt, sir. This is exactly what I have been waiting for.

:woohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Yep. Pretty impressive for $200. Kind of hard to pass up.

...the aforementioned youtube for easy ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgN09DGq-8
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks. I'll check this out later.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

I got to play with it for a few minutes last night. Just as Mike in Boston claims, it's really a great VI (for Kontakt). My only issue is it is showing up as being in DEMO mode. I'll try and get a note out to KH about that, but if there's an authorization scheme I didn't find it in the PDFs.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I got to play with it for a few minutes last night. Just as Mike in Boston claims, it's really a great VI (for Kontakt). My only issue is it is showing up as being in DEMO mode. I'll try and get a note out to KH about that, but if there's an authorization scheme I didn't find it in the PDFs.
Thanks.

I may buy later today or tomorrow after I check out the demo.

Your first impressions: Think it can get close to the sweet "Nashville Sound" string sections of old (or new)? My projects are about 20% cinematic/symphonic with the balance being pop, rock and country.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

I found it to be better ensemble simulations than any other VI. The last time ensemble sequencing was that easy was with the Emu Proteus 2. Obviously, this is superior and really focuses on the four main orchestral groups. The piano is pretty lame, but we're spoiled. :) How's that C7 doing? My G5 is so ready for a rebuild. Within the next year for sure. Hopefully sooner, but I digress (or is that "butt eye digresses?").
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

MLC, would you say it holds it's own with other orchestral libraries sound wise, or is it just the ensemble arranging feature you like? ...like I say, at $200 it's a great deal but I'm always reticent to add yet another library that'll need updating and maintaining in perpetuity.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

dix wrote:MLC, would you say it holds it's own with other orchestral libraries sound wise, or is it just the ensemble arranging feature you like? ...like I say, at $200 it's a great deal but I'm always reticent to add yet another library that'll need updating and maintaining in perpetuity.
It won't replace some solo instruments, and there are some samples of sounds that I haven't heard in there yet: ethnic instruments in particular. But as far as quick and dirty, on the fly kind of writing it seems like a great investment. Frankly, I don't often write like that, mainly because the quality of the ensembles wasn't there. Brass and winds in particular always sound a little flat and inhuman. Everything I tried in the KH Ensembles VI has sounded great. I can't say that for many other packages.

And to think we have Tab Hunter to thank for all this... oooops, I mean Kirk Hunter...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I've had this for about a week.

Yes, it's excellent for many reasons. I also love Kirk Hunter, and own his 'Spotlight Strings' and the whole 'Diamond Orchestra'.

Does this new ensemble library replace them? No.

But, for sketching and even some final recordings they're excellent. You won't get the same articulations, ability to adjust section sizes, or be able to get a real dry sound as you can out of the other libraries, but it is incredibly useful.

I might have bought it just for the percussion and hits alone. Excellent material!

Anyways, I' m a huge fan of the Kirk Hunter 'sound'. This package is a great way to get into his sound world.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

... must add!

Kirk Hunter's libraries sound marvelous when run dry and processed by MOTU's ProVerb with a nice IR reverb of your choosing.

(Wish I hadn't spent money on some of the other so-called 'name' libraries. They're gathering hard-drive dust)

'Spotlight Strings' is incredible, from soloists to a nice full section of each string instrument.

And 'Diamond Orchestra' can cover any needs. Lots's of choices in there.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

Guys you're kidding right. This is horrible, nice interface for sure, but sound is primitive and organ like in response. Don't understand your like.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Love Kirk Hunter libraries... because in a final mix his instruments don't sound 'synth-like' and they have some body to them.

And they blend and add body to any other library out there. Find your own reverb settings depending on the project.

You have to learn them, like practising any instrument.

I've had music played back in large indoor (arenas) and outdoor venues over excellent sound systems, using Diamond Orchestra with a little mix of other libraries' instruments when called for, and have been extremely pleased, as were the people hiring me.
DP 11, OS Ventura
dbender

Post by dbender »

tbrianmann wrote:Guys you're kidding right. This is horrible, nice interface for sure, but sound is primitive and organ like in response. Don't understand your like.
Is that based on your having bought it and actually played it? Or is it based on trying a demo? Or is it based on listening to the online audio demos?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
MIDI Life Crisis

I suppose it ultimately comes down to taste and how you use the sounds. Not everyone likes likes pizza. This amazes me, yet there it is. How can that be?

Back o/t... I'm not a fan of recreating (or attempting to) by multi-hundred track counts and sequencing every little articulation in the belief you can fool some of the people some of the time. OTOH, I do write orchestral music that fools some of those people and found the KH Ensembles to have the best quality for a single all-in-one package. No extra cheese in there.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS