Hear Tap To Find EZ Drummer files thru Superior Drummer?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hear Tap To Find EZ Drummer files thru Superior Drummer?

Post by Kellog »

Hi all. Does anyone know of a routing that would let me hear the files within EZ Drummer that I've 'Tapped to Find" but hear them through the Superior sounds in real time? There isn't any way that I've found to set the input of Superior to access the MIDI output of EZ. Within Bundles maybe? Wasn't clear to me when I looked there.
I like the "tap to Find" search feature of Ez Drummer but Superior doesn't have that search functionality. And the mapping of Superior sounds doesn't alway match the EZ layout- so dragging a 'completed' MIDI song layout into Superior from EZ sometimes needs fixing.
I did enable MIDI out within EZ, but can't find anywhere to assign it, or to set the MIDI input for Superior to EZ.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks, Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Guitar Gaz

Re: Hear Tap To Find EZ Drummer files thru Superior Drummer?

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I use both EZ Drummer2 and Superior Drummer which I use through an aux track/V-Rack. I don't understand what your issue is as I can't work out what you are trying to do. If you have a MIDI track on record with EZ Drummer as the sound source (or the V-Rack track/input) then you can hear the sounds (by a MIDI keyboard or pads).

EZ Drummer sounds are available in Superior Drummer as it picks up EZX kits. So a bit puzzled - perhaps explain why the normal use of EZ Drummer2 and Superior Drummer is not suitable or working?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Appreciate your response. Heres the workflow I am hoping to achieve... I want to use tap to find within EZ, then find similar patterns to what I tapped, in the EZ browser, but when hearing them have EZ sounds muted and the newly found MIDI playing out thru Superior Roots Sticks for example. I want to know how they'll sound when routed thru Superior as I'm auditioning them.
Does that make sense. Maybe it's not possible.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

A friendly MOTU tech says I prob can't do what I want to do.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Kellog wrote:Appreciate your response. Heres the workflow I am hoping to achieve... I want to use tap to find within EZ, then find similar patterns to what I tapped, in the EZ browser, but when hearing them have EZ sounds muted and the newly found MIDI playing out thru Superior Roots Sticks for example. I want to know how they'll sound when routed thru Superior as I'm auditioning them.
Does that make sense. Maybe it's not possible.
In EZdrummer 2 you can browse by tapping a beat and the browser will then show you what is a match and how similar (in percentage terms). So that is pretty good, and you can also use your own MIDI file in the search function so EZdrummer 2 can find matching files in your library.

This is a good feature - you could audition the same library files in Superior Drummer once you know what and where they are (take a note or a screenshot).But you need EZdrummer 2 for this.

I am puzzled why you can't audition in EZdrummer 2 with the same sounds or at least very similar ones as the same sound libraries are usable in EZdrummer 2 - albeit some of the customised X Drums and SDX functionality won't work. But it's good enough for rock and roll even if you switch back to Superior once you have found the appropriate beat files. I would try that - if that is what you are looking for which appears to be the case from your description.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Yes that is what I am trying to do and it is only the Superior Drummer sounds I was hoping to play the EZ MIDI thru while auditioning. As you said the bulk of the sounds (EZX add ons) I will just audition within EZ Drummer. But Roots Sticks SDX in Superior Drummer acted funny due to slightly different mapping (I think) when I used it to play a MIDI drum track I had constructed in EZ. So I was hoping to avoid further tweaking of sounds/MIDI parts when I switch to Superior for more finalization and mixing of a song.
I will def heed your suggestion of noting the MIDI files I like in EZ and go find em in Superior and check them there.
I asked at Toontrack support if they plan on adding the tap and search browse function from EZ to Superior in the future but haven't heard back yet.
Thanks again for aiding me with this confusing tangent ha ha, Kelly
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Its a workaround of course - but occasionally I have to pinch myself when I realise that what you can do nowadays is still amazing - I am old school and trained at IBC studios in London in the early 70's so even workarounds are still way easier than some of what we had to do in the old days.
Gary Shepherd
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

but occasionally I have to pinch myself when I realise that what you can do nowadays is still amazing
Ha ha...true
waxman

Post by waxman »

Hi Gaz... can you compare Superior Drummer to BFD3? If you have not used BFD3 maybe you would be kind enough to answer a few questions...

Have you used Superior with and eDrum set?
Does each drum and cymbal have separate audio outs?
Are there presets for MIDI mapping edrum sets?
Are velocity parameters, bleed, FX, mix and match drums, stacking drums how many per channel?

What are the features you like most and use most.
What are any limitations you experienced with Superior?
Are there lots of alternative content, kits, etc?

This page pretty much answers everything and looks great...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUpEaV ... =Toontrack

I will be researching all this but I appreciate hearing a DP users thoughts... thanks...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

waxman wrote:Hi Gaz... can you compare Superior Drummer to BFD3? If you have not used BFD3 maybe you would be kind enough to answer a few questions...

Have you used Superior with and eDrum set?
Does each drum and cymbal have separate audio outs?
Are there presets for MIDI mapping edrum sets?
Are velocity parameters, bleed, FX, mix and match drums, stacking drums how many per channel?

What are the features you like most and use most.
What are any limitations you experienced with Superior?
Are there lots of alternative content, kits, etc?

This page pretty much answers everything and looks great...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqUpEaV ... =Toontrack

I will be researching all this but I appreciate hearing a DP users thoughts... thanks...
For fear of missing a function I have forgotten or don't know about I would say yes research wherever this drum VI is mentioned - including YouTube and Toontrack's own video help.

I have not used BFD3. I have used Addictive Drums which I quite liked but preferred EZdrummer2 and Superior Drummer. I haven't used either Toontrack VI's with an edrum set so can't comment.

1.With Superior you can do a fair bit of customising including adding extra drums (X-Drums) to a kit - you can't add extra drums in EZdrummer2.

2. You can play with several parameters per each drum in a kit in Superior - in EZdrummer2 it is possible but more limited.

3. I like the fact you can substitute drums in any kit with other drums from other kits in the sample set and make a custom kit. You can do this in Superior and in EZdrummer2.

4.I like the fact that you can filter down to each element in a drum loop and only drag the MIDI for that element to your DAW (e.g. just the hi hat) - this only works in Superior.

5. I like the function whereby you can tap a rhythm, or enter a MIDI beat, into EZdrummer2 and it will search for similar or appropriate drum loops in the loop library. This is only in EZdrummer2.

6. There are loads of kits and even more great MIDI drum loops and fills done by professional drummers - and both work in Superior and EZdrummer2.

Until Superior is updated, you will find some functions in EZdrummer2 that are more advanced - but Superior is more flexible. I have both, and find this a flexible way of working.

Good luck!
Gary Shepherd
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Gaz... I watched a bunch of videos and Superior looks and sounds great. I don't know what lies in the future for FXpansion and BFD3. I am waiting to see if they update. They were purchased by Roli in March. I can't update to Sierra until BFD3 gets updated. Thanks for letting me know Superior needs an update. If FXpansion does not update by January 2017 I'll need to think about moving to Superior. From all the Videos I see the Gui and features meet or beat what BFD3 does.

thanks again
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.