Volume Anomalies

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daerp1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Volume Anomalies

Post by daerp1 »

I am stumped. I have a MIDI file with 10 MIDI tracks. I have tried to create a 'flat' version of this file so I can start shaping it from scratch, with all controllers removed, all on velocities set to 63, off velocities set to 0. And yet... playback of the file results in great discrepancies in volume of the instruments. I've set all faders in the mixing window to 85 (as a starting place).
Why aren't all the volumes uniform?
I'm using Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 with Vienna Instruments Pro.
Can anyone suggest something I could try?
I have a Master Fader Track, and an Aux track as well.
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5
buzzsmith

Re: Volume Anomalies

Post by buzzsmith »

Wow. You've done everything that I would have tried.

Velocities evened out and if controllers 1,7 and 11 are removed then that leaves nothing to alter volume or expression.

Just to be clear, are the volume discrepancies occurring within each track or in relation to each other?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

If these are all sampled instruments, I can only guess that the samples being played back by a velocity of 63 are recorded at differing volume levels and are not consistent in and of themselves. In well-sampled instruments, the velocity does not merely instruct the volume level of a single recorded sample, but determines which of several available samples is going to be played back, assuming these are likely multi-sampled instruments.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Even with cc#7 and velocities leveled out, there are still places to check.

I'd start with cc#11 and level that. I'd also bypass all processing plugs like EQ, reverb, and any other plugs.

Why are you using an aux track for? What plugs are on the master track? Have you tried deleting those tracks? It sure sounds like cc#11 but I'd strip out ALL controllers or at least flat line them - including cc#1. The VI might be responding to any one of the controllers with increased dynamic levels. It's either a cc# being sent, a plugin acting on the signal path, or the VI messing up. DP doesn't add data, it just processes it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SMS

Post by SMS »

This seems like an odd assumption, that all tracks at the same volume level and velocity should sound equally loud.

Just like real instruments, samled instruments respond differently to velocity and volume controls. A harp has very little dynamic range and a snare drum a very large one. The arbitrary velocity level you've chosen is likely too low to have every instrument speaking at it's 'normal' (mf) level. In my experience, this is closer to 85 or 90. Also, depending on the type of music (you're using Vienna, so I suspect you're using sampled 'real' instruments), starting a track with all notes at the same velocity will sound very unnatural. Players naturally accent certain notes. Release velocity may or may not make any difference- depends on the instrument, usually not.

After making certain there's no controller data in the tracks (use the event list with no filters enabled to be sure), I would start by getting the velocities in the tracks right first, because the differences in tone at different velocities is very important. I don't mean setting them all the same, they're 'supposed' to vary within each phrase.

Then, maybe set all the track faders to 0, and reduce the level of tracks that are too loud by adjusting their volume in the VI's mixer, or using trim plugs.

Then use controller #11 (expression) for "performed" differences in volume (crescendos and decrescendos, phrasing, etc.).

Finally, use the track faders (cc #7, volume) just for mixing.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT