Delay with internal panning control?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Delay with internal panning control?

Post by SMS »

Are any of you aware of a stereo delay plug that has controls for independent control of panning for the dry and delayed signals?

I have a few delay plugs that allow panning control for the delays, but not for the dry signal. A pretty common delay application is to pan the dry signal to one side and a single delay to the other.

I know it's simple to do with a send to a bus, but this seems like such an obvious feature, so every time I set this up, I wonder.

Thanks.

LOVING DP 9.12!
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
magicd

Re: Delay with internal panning control?

Post by magicd »

You can do this with the stock MOTU Delay plug-in. There are separate wet/dry mix controls for left and right. If you want dry on one side set the mix on that side to zero. If you want delay only on the other side set that mix to 100%

Dave
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

MOTU Delay is sooooo good. And can do it. Now I have yout attention, may I propose one enhancement and one new feature?
1 longer delay time. I finde myself running into the limitation quite often. Just for that special effect.
2 an "offset" when delay is set to beat it would be nice to dial a offset from the beat. Sometimes the the delay sounds richer when sligthly off.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
SMS

Post by SMS »

magicd wrote:You can do this with the stock MOTU Delay plug-in. There are separate wet/dry mix controls for left and right. If you want dry on one side set the mix on that side to zero. If you want delay only on the other side set that mix to 100%

Dave
True, but you don't have control of panning (it's fixed hard L/R) and no indepentend control of delay volume vs. dry. A Trim plug after the delay would provide this, but why not have it built in to the plug?

All you need is to add pan and volume controls for Dry, Delay 1 and Delay 2. Seems obvious...

I also agree with others who have requested an offset value so you can use tempo based delays but tweak it a bit or have one side set slightly offset from the other. One way to do this easily would be to have the delay calculate the realtime based on tempo; in other words, you tap, or set it to a synched note value, and when you switch back to realtime, it stays set to the calculated value (showing the ms value) so you can adjust as needed. You could also just have the ms value always display regardless of which method is used to set the delay time.

DP rocks.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
magicd

Post by magicd »

Suggestions are always welcome!

For now you can put a trim plug-in before the delay plug if you want to pan left and right dry signals. You can also use a second delay or each plug to extend the delay time or create an offset.

Dave
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks, all. I guess the answer to my original question is that no one is aware of a delay plug that has these features, so I'll continue to use other methods, including suggestions here, to achieve what I need.

Spence
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Fabfilter can do it - Timesless2 has individual vol and pan control for dry and wet signals. And it has some other cool features.

UVI relayer has some very interesting controls too where you can control the pan of the wet signal. But for straight up dlay - Fabfilter Timesless 2 is it.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6