Expand2 by Air on sale

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Expand2 by Air on sale

Post by apanacci »

Any one interested for $1.00 at Audio Deluxe. A great VI
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
David Polich

Re: Expand2 by Air on sale

Post by David Polich »

At that price, its very likely this is a discontinued
product or about to be discontinued.

Maybe it sounds great...at $1.00 you really have
nothing to lose.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

"All it takes is a dollar and a dream." -- NY Lottery slogan.

Went for it. Seriously tempted to go for the full $75 version, but been really racking up the bargains this month and we haven't even gotten to Black Friday and all that yet! :mrgreen:

BTW, aren't all or most of these synths that ship with Protools?

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Check out patch 012 Organs -> Jazz Percussive+. I'm getting all sorts of digital grit and clipping noise (even though my CPU meter is barely registering and my gain level is not clipping). Other organ patches do the same (e.g., Jazz More+).

What's the deal? Are you guys getting this too? :x

Babz
SMS

Post by SMS »

Those patches are fine for me, no other issues discovered yet, either.

First impression is what a deal, TONS of really useable, fast loading stuff. It appears to be very limited in editing/controller implementation, etc. But I'll read the manual tonight.

It appears to be deprecated, as V3 is about to come out, they're hoping we'll upgrade, which I certainly might!

Thanks for the link.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Babz

Post by Babz »

SMS wrote:Those patches are fine for me,
I tested again and it seems to require that you play a sustained 4 note chord. I don't get it with single notes.

Could you try a test for me? Using the preset: patch 012 Organs -> Jazz Percussive+, play a Cmaj 7 chord starting with C2

C2 E2 G2 B2 and hold the chord for a couple of seconds.

This would be really helpful. I can't imagine why I would be only getting it with just this patch and no anyone else.

Here is an audio example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3j5pfxwxos9y ... e.mp3?dl=0

[Note: you don't need Dropbox to listen.
Just choose "No thanks, continue to view".]

Thanks,
Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Another bug I ran across. Modulation seems to get screwed up when switching from one patch to another. For example, the patch 008 Hard Leads -> Cry Saw+ has mod wheel assigned to pitch (vibrato). And if you start off with a fresh instantiation of X!pand2_X64 and load that patch, it works fine.

But if you then delete the track and load X!pand2_X64 and start with a different patch (say 012 Organs -> Full Rock, which has Mod Wheel assigned to Leslie speed), and THEN switch back to 008 Hard Leads -> Cry Saw+, suddenly its mod wheel is assigned to *filter*! And when it gets into this state, no amount of editing the Mod parameters can override and get your pitch vibrato back. And the filter assignment seems to carry over to other patches as well as you load them. Very bizarre and frustrating.

It may be somewhat inconsistent to get it to happen the first time, but if you change patches enough and try mod wheel on every patch, you will run into it.

So, yes, a bargain for $1, and many useful patches, but definitely has bugs, bugs that are not likely to ever be fixed.

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Here's an easier way to reproduce the mod wheel bug.

Start with 019 Guitars ->Distorted Guitar+. Play with mod wheel (assigned to vibrato). Switch to the very next preset using the triangle arrow, Dyna Wah 56 Strat+. It has mod wheel assigned to wah (filter). Play and move mod wheel. Now switch back to previous preset Distorted Guitar+. Mod wheel no longer works.

B.
SMS

Post by SMS »

Quick test of the Organ patch shows no problem, even with polyphony maxed- will test the mod wheel when I get a chance.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Babz

Post by Babz »

SMS wrote:Quick test of the Organ patch shows no problem, even with polyphony maxed- will test the mod wheel when I get a chance.
You played the exact chord in the exact register I specified? (I ask because it is much harder to detect in other parts of the keyboard.)
SMS

Post by SMS »

Yes, When I play that same voicing, I get the crackles. I suspect it's IM distortion.

Still haven't had a chance to test the mod issues.
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Babz

Post by Babz »

SMS wrote:Yes, When I play that same voicing, I get the crackles. I suspect it's IM distortion.
YES! Thank you! Finally. Shared perceptual reality. Something I'm a big fan of. Just a strange perfect-storm that that happened to be one of the first patches I tried, and that happened to be one of the first chords I played. Intermodulation distortion makes sense, some combination of the Leslie effect, the way it was sampled, and notes in that particular frequency range.
SMS wrote:Still haven't had a chance to test the mod issues.
Hopefully I'll be proved non-delusional on that one too. Fingers crossed. :mrgreen:

Babz