Fuggit. I'm going for 9.12

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Fuggit. I'm going for 9.12

Post by Babz »

Unless this has changed in 9.12, you cannot read crash logs from DP. Some time a few years ago, MOTU adopted Google "Breakpad" as its crash reporting system, rather than relying on the standard Mac OS system. This means that the crash logs can get sent directly to MOTU (if you say yes when prompted), but they do not appear in the standard location like normal Mac OS applications. Helpful for MOTU, perhaps, but unfortunately not so great for users wanting to try to troubleshoot from crash logs on their own.

There is a way around it. Someone sent me a script to disable breakpad, which has allowed me to locate and examine crash logs. (It can also be done by console commands. The script basically automates the console commands.)

Crash logs can also be useful when dealing with third party tech support, where one may be requested to send in a crash log for them to examine, and without disabling breakpad, DP users are SOL.

Speaking of third party, I have found many crashes can be caused by third party plugins -- usually it's just one problem plug, but it can take time to hunt down which one.

Echoing what others have said. Crashes are not generally random, and one needs to pay attention to what is going on around the time they happen. It is important to try to isolate variables and proceed systematically. If you have come upon a true bug, the best way to deal with it is to find the steps to reproduce it every time and then contact MOTU (or third party) tech support and try to get them to reproduce it.

Best,
Babz
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I would just like to work and not be a partner in software-development.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Babz

Post by Babz »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I would just like to work and not be a partner in software-development.
Mic drop. :D
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

YEAH!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't had a real crash in DP since 7.24 in OS 10.8.2. That one was caused by a conflict with a firmware bug in my graphics card and, knowing the problem, the workaround was easy.

When DP 8 and Mavericks were fairly new, I had the missing Mackie HUI plugins issue caused by corrupt paths. Console shows it when trying to load DP. Sometimes an OS update causes it; often a plugin install does. By experimenting, I learned that reinstalling DP was the fix. I have since experienced it many times—always after an install, uninstall or update of something (I do a lot of testing).

Since I know the issue, there's no longer the need to run a diagnostic, of course. Reinstalling DP 8, 9.02 and 9.12 fixes problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Babz wrote:
Yes, and that experience caused me to run for 9.02 cover, where I have remained, waiting for the 9.12 all clear.

B.
That’s a good way to describe it isn’t it?..lol
Anyone have advice as to whether to run VE Pro 5 or 6 with DP 9.12?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
labman

Post by labman »

Babz wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:I would just like to work and not be a partner in software-development.
Mic drop. :D
LOL ! ice one Babz. We need a mic drop emoji.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Might be the best quote about this subject, ever.

I decided to give 9.12 another go, thinking that the new os, fresh prefs, yada yada would make things honky dory. Not the case. More dropouts, higher CPU usage, not being able to edit ANYTHING without audio dropping out... no beuno. Hello again, 9.02.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

amplidood wrote:

I decided to give 9.12 another go, thinking that the new os, fresh prefs, yada yada would make things honky dory. Not the case. More dropouts, higher CPU usage, not being able to edit ANYTHING without audio dropping out... no beuno. Hello again, 9.02.
How long can any of us cling to 9.02?
I haven’t even tried the 9.12 version, and I won’t till current mix is finished.
I am fairly pessimistic and my pessimism stems from the fact that MOTU seems to require the cooperation of 3rd party plug in manufacturers to “update” THEIR software. Could be a long wait.
Hope I’m wrong.

I am experiencing problems with 9.02 too.
When I get to a real heavy mix with lots of automation, 9.02 bogs. Last song, I had to go to DP 8 to finish a mix. May have to do the same on the one I’m on.

Wondering what happens to MIDI mutes in a DP 9 file that’s been opened in 8?
Last edited by toodamnhip on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Because of this fine forum, I'm sticking with 9.01 until I start reading outstanding reviews of 9.13 or 9.1x!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

buzzsmith wrote:Because of this fine forum, I'm sticking with 9.01 until I start reading outstanding reviews of 9.13 or 9.1x!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
9.02 is definitely an improvement over 9.01 though.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Still running DP8 here.

So, forgetting 9.12 for a minute.

Is 9.02 actually working? Is it safe to upgrade to that without going crazy? I don't believe I have any plugins that would cause any major problems.

(I've always liked Craig Anderson's advice to use "trailing edge" technology)
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

amplidood wrote:

Well...I did the same thing you did, now twice.

Did all the same stuff, DP 9.12, Sierra, plugin updates, etc.

Now I'm back on 9.02 AGAIN until they fix whatever these problems are.

This time around I just renamed 9.02 "DP 9.02", and didn't uninstall 9.12.

9.02 works just fine even though I have 9.12 on the drive.

I really hope MOTU does something in the near future.

When you take the same exact file and open it in each, things work fine in 9.02, but glitch and crash in 9.12.

I mean, that is kind of an obvious problem, MOTU ???
waxman

Post by waxman »

Babz wrote:Unless this has changed in 9.12, you cannot read crash logs from DP. Some time a few years ago, MOTU adopted Google "Breakpad" as its crash reporting system, rather than relying on the standard Mac OS system. This means that the crash logs can get sent directly to MOTU (if you say yes when prompted), but they do not appear in the standard location like normal Mac OS applications. Helpful for MOTU, perhaps, but unfortunately not so great for users wanting to try to troubleshoot from crash logs on their own.

There is a way around it. Someone sent me a script to disable breakpad, which has allowed me to locate and examine crash logs. (It can also be done by console commands. The script basically automates the console commands.)

Crash logs can also be useful when dealing with third party tech support, where one may be requested to send in a crash log for them to examine, and without disabling breakpad, DP users are SOL.

Speaking of third party, I have found many crashes can be caused by third party plugins -- usually it's just one problem plug, but it can take time to hunt down which one.

Echoing what others have said. Crashes are not generally random, and one needs to pay attention to what is going on around the time they happen. It is important to try to isolate variables and proceed systematically. If you have come upon a true bug, the best way to deal with it is to find the steps to reproduce it every time and then contact MOTU (or third party) tech support and try to get them to reproduce it.

Best,
Babz
Can I get that script? Thanks
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

Anyone have advice as to whether to run VE Pro 5 or 6 with DP 9.12?

I've heard anecdotally that it does. I don't have it but I am considering it. I've been having trouble with 9.12 which I've narrowed down to "doing anything when the transport is not running," which means editing. Lots and lots of dropouts, sluggish gui, and eventual unusable system. Can't save my project because "Digital Performer is not responding...". Have to force quit.

I regressed to 9.02 and it's OK. Dave Roberts told me that VEP was useful with 32 bit OS, but not 64, so I don't know what to make of all this.

But I don't have time right now, nor the inclination, to redo my whole template from scratch and let them know "at what point does it break?" I'm using the latest Play with many improvements, as well as Kontakt. With either, I'm still having problems.
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia