Fuggit. I'm going for 9.12

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Fuggit. I'm going for 9.12

Post by Gravity Jim »

JSmith1234567: Because they're not buggy.

9.12 runs perfectly on my rig, as I'm sure it does on the Macs at MOTU. One guy or two guys or even 12 guys having a problem isn't a "bug."

Go for it, Babz. I agree that a start-up volume clone is always a good idea when updating the OS or your main software, but there are many more users having no trouble than users with problems.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

JSmith1234567 wrote:If both of these updates are still buggy, why haven't we seen another rev. from MOTU yet?

It's been awhile!
Developer resources? Difficulty fixing the issues? Extra testing? Other features in the works to be included with the next update? Waiting for another minor release cycle?

There's plenty of sensible reasons.

I do know for a fact though that many (dare I say: most) of the reported issues with 9.12 have been replicated by Motu. This is both through my interactions with them and my interactions with other users that have relayed their experiences with Motu's team.

What is holding them up though, I don't know. It would be nice if there was some slightly better communication with the public. :banghead:
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Robert Randolph wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:If both of these updates are still buggy, why haven't we seen another rev. from MOTU yet?

It's been awhile!
Developer resources? Difficulty fixing the issues? Extra testing? Other features in the works to be included with the next update? Waiting for another minor release cycle?

I do know for a fact though that many (dare I say: most) of the reported issues with 9.12 have been replicated by Motu. This is both through my interactions with them and my interactions with other users that have relayed their experiences with Motu's team.

What is holding them up though, I don't know. It would be nice if there was some slightly better communication with the public. :banghead:
Well, this may have nothing to do with anything, but it appears lead DP developer Michael Miller left the company sometime over the summer. I was sad to see him go, but wish him the best in his new adventures. He was so great at keeping us informed on all the fixes in DP, and I hope MOTU continues to post the detailed lists of bug fixes like we saw from Mr Miller.

Best,
Babz
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Babz wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:

It's been awhile!

Well, this may have nothing to do with anything, but it appears lead DP developer Michael Miller left the company sometime over the summer. I was sad to see him go, but wish him the best in his new adventures. He was so great at keeping us informed on all the fixes in DP, and I hope MOTU continues to post the detailed lists of bug fixes like we saw from Mr Miller.

Best,
Babz
Yeah, he appears to have left Motu in July. It was probably my fault

:lol:

It is interesting that Motu does have job postings for software engineers, and the postings seem to indicate work on DP.

So maybe they are shorthanded? Maybe not. Just a bunch of speculation. They definitely have plenty of talented developers there still.
waxman

Post by waxman »

If BFD3 from FXpansion was working on Sierra I would upgrade. DP is working better then ever. I've had only 2 problems. One was a interim UAD update 8.7 and the other was a problem with a Soundtoys update. DP 9.12 is stable, elegant and works as advertised.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I made the move yesterday.

I was not upgrading before after all the troubles I had with 9.10 and had gone back to 9.02.

I did Sierra and DP 9.12 yesterday, as well as checked and updated to the latest versions of all my plug-ins.

All is working just fine, with WAY lower latency.

Cudos to you all @ MOTU if you are reading this!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

No problems here -- I barely had v8 long enough to think about it before upgrading to v9.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I made the move yesterday.

I was not upgrading before after all the troubles I had with 9.10 and had gone back to 9.02.

I did Sierra and DP 9.12 yesterday, as well as checked and updated to the latest versions of all my plug-ins.

All is working just fine, with WAY lower latency.

Cudos to you all @ MOTU if you are reading this!
Well after a day working to picture, better latency, LOTS & LOTS of crashes.

I don't know...is this an improvement or not?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Babz

Post by Babz »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
Well after a day working to picture, better latency, LOTS & LOTS of crashes.

I don't know...is this an improvement or not?
What kind of crashes? What steps create the crash?
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Saving tracks to clippings (highlight a section of tracks you want saved, edit window; copy-to-clipping window) reliably crashes things 99% of the time.

Other things that I can't remember now...I remember that one because I wanted to save an aux-track setup that I use allot to the clippings window yesterday, and it would crash almost every time.

I did manage eventually to get it saved, but after a ton of crashes.

The movie window seemed to complicate things too.

I was getting great performance until I had to work with picture yesterday, and then my processor-performance window is peaking and then hanging around 75% all of the time now.

It was @ about 25% with 9.02 with the same template.

Other crashes also, but I'll try to remember what they were. I think using the audio edit window crashed me a couple of times, but that has ALWAYS been glitchy.

I've never understood why it has to unload and then reload all of your VI's and plugins every time you make an edit in that window?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you are getting constant crashes, there is a reason. What is it?

What do the crash reports say? It is generally contained in the first 20 lines.

What does a Console report say? Sometimes hard to read and difficult to interpret, Console always tells you what is happening with your Mac when a crash occurs.

In both cases, the answer is normally one of three issues: Something is trying to load that should but can't. Something is trying to load that shouldn't. The app or system is looking for something it can't find or the library it is loading is out of date.

It is always one of these. The culprit can be old code or an app that didn't follow the Apple Toolkit (or, again, is too old). It can be a corrupt installation (common) or bad preference file (rare).

It often happens that installing a plug will corrupt DP paths. There are certain Console logs that are a surefire tell when this happens. The solution is to just reinstall DP—always my first recommendation—and see if you still have a problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

mikehalloran wrote:If you are getting constant crashes, there is a reason. What is it?

What do the crash reports say? It is generally contained in the first 20 lines.

What does a Console report say? Sometimes hard to read and difficult to interpret, Console always tells you what is happening with your Mac when a crash occurs.

In both cases, the answer is normally one of three issues: Something is trying to load that should but can't. Something is trying to load that shouldn't. The app or system is looking for something it can't find or the library it is loading is out of date.

It is always one of these. The culprit can be old code or an app that didn't follow the Apple Toolkit (or, again, is too old). It can be a corrupt installation (common) or bad preference file (rare).

It often happens that installing a plug will corrupt DP paths. There are certain Console logs that are a surefire tell when this happens. The solution is to just reinstall DP—always my first recommendation—and see if you still have a problem.
Thanks!

Will I lose my preferences if I re-install?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Babz wrote:Other crashes also, but I'll try to remember what they were. I think using the audio edit window crashed me a couple of times, but that has ALWAYS been glitchy.

I've never understood why it has to unload and then reload all of your VI's and plugins every time you make an edit in that window?
I Always had the same issue, but there's a very simple reason/workaround. You'll have the waveform editor connected to main sequence. (haven't used it forever, so can't remember the terminology. It's when I used to use set beats, etc). Your big play button/triangle will be highlighted to link/sync it to track. Unclick it. Now it won't restart audio engine/reload plugs each time.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

mikehalloran wrote:
No.
Thanks! I'll try it.