Fuggit. I'm going for 9.12

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Fuggit. I'm going for 9.12

Post by labman »

Ken, I love love love running VEP with 9.12, and every other DP version. I think Dave is absolutely primo, but on this issue, he is not correct for those of who do scoring work with major templates. Using VEP5 or 6 with DP, makes DP lean and mean, and everything is way faster than if I put all the VI instantiations inside DP. No comparison whatsoever. And VEP6 has organizational features DP doesnt have. But hey, what do I know. I am old.

By the way VEP6 is the bomb.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
KenNickels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by KenNickels »

labman wrote:Ken, I love love love running VEP with 9.12, and every other DP version. I think Dave is absolutely primo, but on this issue, he is not correct for those of who do scoring work with major templates. Using VEP5 or 6 with DP, makes DP lean and mean, and everything is way faster than if I put all the VI instantiations inside DP. No comparison whatsoever. And VEP6 has organizational features DP doesnt have. But hey, what do I know. I am old.

By the way VEP6 is the bomb.
I'm curious. How long did it take to set up your VEP template? Is it easy to use, good documentation, etc?
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

One way to get Motu's crash reporter out of the way so that Apple's more informative crash reporter launches is to move the application to a different location. I forgot what Motu called it, but next time the crash reporter app launches, reveal the exact location in the Finder and move it elsewhere. If it is not in the dock for some reason when launched, take note of the exact name and search the system files for it. This worked for me.

Babz wrote:Unless this has changed in 9.12, you cannot read crash logs from DP. Some time a few years ago, MOTU adopted Google "Breakpad" as its crash reporting system, rather than relying on the standard Mac OS system. This means that the crash logs can get sent directly to MOTU (if you say yes when prompted), but they do not appear in the standard location like normal Mac OS applications. Helpful for MOTU, perhaps, but unfortunately not so great for users wanting to try to troubleshoot from crash logs on their own.

There is a way around it. Someone sent me a script to disable breakpad, which has allowed me to locate and examine crash logs. (It can also be done by console commands. The script basically automates the console commands.)

Crash logs can also be useful when dealing with third party tech support, where one may be requested to send in a crash log for them to examine, and without disabling breakpad, DP users are SOL.

Speaking of third party, I have found many crashes can be caused by third party plugins -- usually it's just one problem plug, but it can take time to hunt down which one.

Echoing what others have said. Crashes are not generally random, and one needs to pay attention to what is going on around the time they happen. It is important to try to isolate variables and proceed systematically. If you have come upon a true bug, the best way to deal with it is to find the steps to reproduce it every time and then contact MOTU (or third party) tech support and try to get them to reproduce it.

Best,
Babz
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

Excellent tip!
doodles wrote:
Babz wrote:Other crashes also, but I'll try to remember what they were. I think using the audio edit window crashed me a couple of times, but that has ALWAYS been glitchy.

I've never understood why it has to unload and then reload all of your VI's and plugins every time you make an edit in that window?
I Always had the same issue, but there's a very simple reason/workaround. You'll have the waveform editor connected to main sequence. (haven't used it forever, so can't remember the terminology. It's when I used to use set beats, etc). Your big play button/triangle will be highlighted to link/sync it to track. Unclick it. Now it won't restart audio engine/reload plugs each time.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Gotta disagree with this one. I know Magic D is the bomb, but i couldn't survive without VE Pro linked to my slaves. Huge templates on VE Pro are the only way to go, IMHO

waxman wrote:I've heard anecdotally that it does. I don't have it but I am considering it. I've been having trouble with 9.12 which I've narrowed down to "doing anything when the transport is not running," which means editing. Lots and lots of dropouts, sluggish gui, and eventual unusable system. Can't save my project because "Digital Performer is not responding...". Have to force quit.

I regressed to 9.02 and it's OK. Dave Roberts told me that VEP was useful with 32 bit OS, but not 64, so I don't know what to make of all this.

But I don't have time right now, nor the inclination, to redo my whole template from scratch and let them know "at what point does it break?" I'm using the latest Play with many improvements, as well as Kontakt. With either, I'm still having problems.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
waxman

Post by waxman »

doodles wrote:Gotta disagree with this one. I know Magic D is the bomb, but i couldn't survive without VE Pro linked to my slaves. Huge templates on VE Pro are the only way to go, IMHO

waxman wrote:I've heard anecdotally that it does. I don't have it but I am considering it. I've been having trouble with 9.12 which I've narrowed down to "doing anything when the transport is not running," which means editing. Lots and lots of dropouts, sluggish gui, and eventual unusable system. Can't save my project because "Digital Performer is not responding...". Have to force quit.

I regressed to 9.02 and it's OK. Dave Roberts told me that VEP was useful with 32 bit OS, but not 64, so I don't know what to make of all this.

But I don't have time right now, nor the inclination, to redo my whole template from scratch and let them know "at what point does it break?" I'm using the latest Play with many improvements, as well as Kontakt. With either, I'm still having problems.
I did not write that...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
doodles

Post by doodles »

waxman wrote: I did not write that...
Yes, but you need to understand I"m a total technophobe who has, even after however many flipping years on motunation, not worked out who to quote, etc :roll: :lol:

I am an idiot, which is why I don't post that much, but rather just read, else I make mistakes!

Sorry waxman! Wasn't a dig anyway, just an observation!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

ccrane wrote:Excellent tip!
doodles wrote:
Babz wrote:Other crashes also, but I'll try to remember what they were. I think using the audio edit window crashed me a couple of times, but that has ALWAYS been glitchy.

I've never understood why it has to unload and then reload all of your VI's and plugins every time you make an edit in that window?
I Always had the same issue, but there's a very simple reason/workaround. You'll have the waveform editor connected to main sequence. (haven't used it forever, so can't remember the terminology. It's when I used to use set beats, etc). Your big play button/triangle will be highlighted to link/sync it to track. Unclick it. Now it won't restart audio engine/reload plugs each time.
WOW!

I have to try this next week.

I've been bugged by this for YEARS, and it was some button I had wrongly enabled???

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
labman

Post by labman »

KenNickels wrote:
I'm curious. How long did it take to set up your VEP template? Is it easy to use, good documentation, etc?
Templates are sort of an ongoing thing. Initially, it took a week or so to wrap my head around what I wanted to do. That was back on VEP4. VEP6 has superb support and documentation. And they have done tons to help us DP folks, since so many scoring guys use DP. From my perspective it is a total no-brainer.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

labman wrote:
Templates are sort of an ongoing thing. Initially, it took a week or so to wrap my head around what I wanted to do. That was back on VEP4. VEP6 has superb support and documentation. And they have done tons to help us DP folks, since so many scoring guys use DP. From my perspective it is a total no-brainer.
Would VEP6 be useful if you only use one computer?
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
labman

Post by labman »

"Would VEP6 be useful if you only use one computer?"

Yup. Especially if you are orchestrating and tend to keep the majority of your inst layout the same from piece to piece. It lets you keep the instruments loaded, and just swap out DP files as needed. Fast and solid. Anything that was changed can be remembered by DP and loaded with that specific session. Elegant mature and brings sanity.

I run it on host drive and slaves too.
labman

Post by labman »

Tabor, Ken et al... You may wanna check this out. Great tips video Steve Steele did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJNRhZLZww