New virtual Oberheim synth in town - and it's free

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New virtual Oberheim synth in town - and it's free

Post by David Polich »

Been ages since I last went searching for free virtual synths...managed to find this gem. OBX-d -
its an emulation of the Oberheim OBx, with a lot of extras. Sounds every bit as good as Arturia's Oberheim synths, and you can even switch its skin to the blue-and-black scheme that Dave Smith/
Tom Oberheim's OB6 synth has.

It has a switchable lowpass filter (24 db/12 db/6 db), a 12db BandPass filter, extensive modulation
routings, and most importantly, great sounding filters and an overall "hardware" sound. Most free
virtual analog synths tend to sound sample-based. This one definitely does not.

Get it here before the developers change their minds and start charging for it:
http://www.discodsp.com/obxd/
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kgdrum

Re: New virtual Oberheim synth in town - and it's free

Post by kgdrum »

Hi David,
Thanks for the reminder,I saw the thread on KVR & forgot about it, dl'd and installed,this does sound nice!
After installing,one thing I don't get is do you need to manually install the preset folder and if so where would you install the preset folder? It's just named presets............
I'm not figuring out how to load presets as it is but tweaking and saving seems to work well.......

Thanks,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

This is fantastic!

I'll post a link over to here in the Freebies thread. What a great synth!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

kgdrum wrote:I'm not figuring out how to load presets as it is but tweaking and saving seems to work well.......
Here is a video showing how to load presets. It appears you can place that folder anywhere you like.

More videos and a skins collection at the OBXd website in the rows along the bottom.

Go here to see what the various free skins look like!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Never one to turn down a freebie - but I am now awash with more synths than I could ever know what to do with. But thanks for posting this.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Thanks for the link!

I've tested it for a minute or so and it sounds like the real deal. It's amazing to think the real thing cost thousands of dollars in the 80s and now you can get one for free.

Dave
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

downloaded last week, and forgot to install it LOL :?

thanks for the reminder David.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

obxd has actually been freely available for quite a while. The only difference is that DiscoDSP appears to have acquired it for some reason and is continuing to give it away for free. I am not sure what they are up to. Its a great synth.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

terrybritton wrote:
kgdrum wrote:I'm not figuring out how to load presets as it is but tweaking and saving seems to work well.......
Here is a video showing how to load presets. It appears you can place that folder anywhere you like.

More videos and a skins collection at the OBXd website in the rows along the bottom.

Go here to see what the various free skins look like!

Terry

Thanks Terry
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

dewdman42 wrote:obxd has actually been freely available for quite a while. The only difference is that DiscoDSP appears to have acquired it for some reason and is continuing to give it away for free. I am not sure what they are up to. Its a great synth.
Yes it has been around awhile. This newest version
is almost a complete rewrite of it..sounds far better
than the previous version, new GUI, new features
and all new presets (the original "Factory" presets
have been re-done).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I did my very first commercial score almost entirely on an OBX. This is a wicked cool freebie.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

No question now... got it figured out.

Had to put the Presets in the main Library/Audio/Presets...not the User Library/Audio/Presets.

Now they show up.

Yay Cubs!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

{{{{{{{Question for anyone, thanks:

- how to I setup up the 'Preset' download for the 'AU' library?

(...can't think straight....am watching World Series Game 7 at the moment and trying to get this figured out! Go Cubs!)}}}}}}}}}
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I have to say, I'm digging this little app. For some reason it is very responsive to my controller. Sounds good and is easy to tweak. Thanx for the heads up on it. PS. Love the original color/look skin! ;)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

yup, I screwed that up too

:headbang:
artfarm1 wrote:No question now... got it figured out.

Had to put the Presets in the main Library/Audio/Presets...not the User Library/Audio/Presets.

Now they show up.

Yay Cubs!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

{{{{{{{Question for anyone, thanks:

- how to I setup up the 'Preset' download for the 'AU' library?

(...can't think straight....am watching World Series Game 7 at the moment and trying to get this figured out! Go Cubs!)}}}}}}}}}
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Got that figured out for AU but am not sure where to put the VST presets as I don't use VST very much and don't know the standard for where those presets should be installed.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH