Slate Virtual Microphone System with Digital Performer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate Virtual Microphone System with Digital Performer

Post by buzzsmith »

This is a message that I posted on Facebook in the Slate Audiophiles group, but since it's also very DP related, I thought I'd copy it here for some feedback and guidance.

Thanks!

Hi, everyone!

I promise, I have Googled, searched this group, watched some tutorials and looked at manuals! So be gentle with this older guy!

i just installed the VMS and (after a little difficulty authorizing to the iLok) I now see the mic emulations and the rest of the Everything Bundle In the Virtual Mix Rack. :)

My question...

To actually hear the different mic models or any of the other modules while tracking, I probably need to set my DAW's (Digital Perormer 9.01) Input Monitoring Mode to "Monitor record-enabled tracks through effects"?

Unfortunately, even with the buffer size set to 128, the latency is very noticeable and would be unacceptable for tracking using this method.

Am I missing something or is this just the nature of the beast?

Best bet would be to just record the ML-1 as I normally record with any other mic, and then apply the sims and modules as plugins like I might do with Eiosis, Waves stuff, MOTU EQs, etc. when tweaking or mixing after the live session?

(Mac Pro4,1 - 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 8 GB RAM.)

Thanks!

Appreciate the group!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Re: Slate Virtual Microphone System with Digital Performer

Post by mikehalloran »

It's possible that DP 9.1 could give you the reduction in latency you are looking for.
http://motu.com/newsitems/digital-perfo ... w-shipping

Otherwise, like any other plugin set, you should expect to apply in post.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mikehalloran wrote:It's possible that DP 9.1 could give you the reduction in latency you are looking for.
http://motu.com/newsitems/digital-perfo ... w-shipping

Otherwise, like any other plugin set, you should expect to apply in post.
Yes, Mike, I'm just waiting for more reports of stable 9.1x systems before I go down that path.

A Thunderbolt interface might help, too, but I don't think my 2009 Mac Pro is compatible.

I did record a rock tenor sax yesterday just using the mic as is and it sounded very good. Haven't had a chance to play with any sims, yet.

Thanks...

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Hi,

The idea is to record using the Slate mic and then apply the mic options post recording allowing you to dial in the perfect mic and pre sound to the source. Now, if you want to source a Slate emulation while tracking you can but you would need DP's buffer to at least 32 or 16 without using any other inserted plugins. Obviously all other tracks would also need all other plugins turned off.

If you have a mix that has a ton of plugins already inserted as you probably know the best 'work around' would be to export that mix, open a new session and toss that mix in then track the vocals or whatever using the Slate mic emulation then export those track(s) out and put them in the mixed session.

That may not be the only way but that's the way I do it.

Hope that helps.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks, csiaudio.

I've been experimenting a little today on a vocal track that was not recorded with the ML-1 just to check out some of the sims.

I'll have an opportunity tomorrow to actually record a vocal, however, and I'll use the Slate mic.

But, I won't track with the sims.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I think that the Slate VMS just might be my Christmas present to myself.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

buzzsmith wrote: I'm just waiting for more reports of stable 9.1x systems before I go down that path.
For me it is the most stable system I've had in many years, probably since 7.24. It is insane how I can load it up, and have no performance issues. I have not had a single crash with 9.12, that was not 3rd party plugin related.

I track through an analog console, so I don't know how latency has been improved when recording with input monitoring on. What I can say is that the latency for virtual instruments has been improved profoundly, to the point where I no longer notice.. if that's any indication.

El Cap on a 2010 Mac Pro. My buffer is at 256 forever, but I don't think that matters much anymore.

Oh, I did try the input monitoring on a Guitar Rig setup a couple times recently, playing chunky metal parts for a project.. felt like an amp, or at least I didn't notice. And I would have- I can't stand latency on electric guitars!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I bought the VMS and used it to do some acoustic guitars a couple days ago - I set the buffer to 64, worked fine, but the other option is to record direct monitoring (I use UAD Apollo) and apply the mic emulations after, as was mentioned in an earlier post.

I got some very noisy background hissing and thumping from the mic while I was recording the second track, so I turned it off and waited for around 15 minutes then turned the mic on again and it was back to normal. I'm a bit concerned that it will happen again and I will probably have to get it replaced, it also seems the build quality of the mic, the shock mount and the preamp is not that great.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
waxman

Post by waxman »

Slate has been great for me in returning. I day turn around on a Raven.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

buzzsmith wrote: Yes, Mike, I'm just waiting for more reports of stable 9.1x systems before I go down that path.

A Thunderbolt interface might help, too, but I don't think my 2009 Mac Pro is compatible.

Buzzy

Buzzy if you are thinking of upgrading the new MacBookPro is amazing. If you get an Apollo Twin they have a great software mixer. Kinda crazy to buy a $999 mic and spend $3k on new computer and Interface. But TBolt 3 is 40Gphs and the MBPro has 4 of those ports. I have a 2013 trash can now but I will be changing in the near future. I love the idea of going to Starbucks in the evening and setting up all the layout and admin for a giant mix, cleaning up the tracks and then mixing the next morning in an hour or 2 max. I can't freaking wait... I spend 8 hours a day in my studio. I love the idea of being able to do 50% of the work anywhere else.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

jlaudon wrote:I bought the VMS and used it to do some acoustic guitars a couple days ago - I set the buffer to 64, worked fine, but the other option is to record direct monitoring (I use UAD Apollo) and apply the mic emulations after, as was mentioned in an earlier post.

I got some very noisy background hissing and thumping from the mic while I was recording the second track, so I turned it off and waited for around 15 minutes then turned the mic on again and it was back to normal. I'm a bit concerned that it will happen again and I will probably have to get it replaced, it also seems the build quality of the mic, the shock mount and the preamp is not that great.
J.

There's a very active Slate group on FB (Steven himself is posting almost daily) and a few folks have reported some noise issues with the Mic or preamp.

Slate will replace.

That's the first thing I checked when I hooked it all up. So far, no issues.

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. With the current sale pricing (same $499 as always bucking inflation) and the new U87 3-pack, it begs the question.

Who is regularly using the Slate VMS ML-1 these days and what do you think of it?

This isn't a buy decision—I did that a few years ago. I since discovered that I preferred to try to get my sound upfront instead of adding sims afterward—during lockdown, I just didn't have the time. Now that I'm doing far less online and not under such tight deadlines, I'm wondering if I should get it out of the locker and reconsider (or give it to my daughter who's mic locker has very few pieces).

Is anyone using the ML-2? Any reason to consider adding that when I have a factory matched pair of AKG C451Bs?

Last year, I tried a friend's Neumann TLM-193 on a problem voice and then I did a voice-over on the track. Unlike just about everything else on the planet, these have a slight scoop in the 4-5K presence range instead of a boost. It's one of very few mics that I actually like on my voice. This means that a 193, TLM170 or U89i is in my future. Since I generally use figure 8 as part of M+S and have half a dozen, I'll probably go with the cardioid only TLM193, perhaps special order one in nickel.