RED ALERT! Re: PSP MasterQ2 -SOLVED!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RED ALERT! Re: PSP MasterQ2 - possible virus!

Post by philbrown »

No problems here on 10.9
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

MLC,

did you recently install the current security update , I think it was 2016-16 ?
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Do your console logs show any processes active when your network goes down?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Tonio wrote:MLC,

did you recently install the current security update , I think it was 2016-16 ?
No
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:Do your console logs show any processes active when your network goes down?
I'm not sure how to decipher that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: RED ALERT! Re: PSP MasterQ2 -SOLVED!

Well, this is good news. It took a bit of sleuthing and some good luck, but here's the deal as far as I can tell. I have a "test" user account on my machine so I can check for specific User folder related issues. I happened into the Network settings (preferences) on that account. The internet was working there when it did not work on my main user account. I noticed there were multiple "locations" listed.

I logged back into my main account and checked the Network preferences. Either by coincidence or something that happened just as I installed the PSP MasterQ2 plugin, my network had three "Locations," two of which were listed as "Unknown" and one was my usual network. One of the Unknown locations was selected. I selected my usual account and deleted the two Unknown accounts and all seems normal again after multiple reboots. I reinstalled and reauthorized the plugin. Tested again. All is good.

Hopefully, this information will help others who might experience this. A big thank you to all who contributed to this this thread, and to PSP, who not only contacted me vis email, but also posted messages on my Facebook timeline in an effort to help resolve this!

The plugin works great. The Mac works great. All hail PSP! Buy their stuff!!! :woohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

To their immense credit, they contacted me by email as well, but as I had nothing specific to offer other than a possible coincidence, I have not written back to them. I am greatly relieved this is turning out not to be a virus! (I did a full boot-time scan using Avast last night and it came up clean as well.)

Computers - they'll either keep you young or age you before your time!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm just flummoxed as to why it happened how and when it did. I'll keep an eye on those Network locations as well. I know for a fact that I never added them. Again, that doesn't mean the PSP installer did either and there may be some OS shenanigans to blame as well. I'm just thrilled the national nightmare is over... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, they contacted me as well. My response was to point them to this thread.

My Apple engineer son-in-law has escalated the unzip bug in Sierra that causes problems with all PSP license files. I don't expect to hear back from him on that issue but I never know. Fortunately there is a workaround. I guess I should be thanking IK Multimedia for their tech support so I knew the workaround.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

not sure what network settings is like in EL CAP +, but its always been a kludge.

makes you wonder who is making the extra locations ......

good to hear you 're good now.

Poor PSP went through the wringer on this one
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Curiously, when I contacted PSP, I got this response:
for sure it is a false alarm
We use standard installers.

Warm regards from Poland
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm guessing (again) that it is probably the installer that somehow has a conflict with the OS. Then again, there are multiple reports of problems after this latest release. I hope they (whoever they is) can find out what caused the problem. I'm just glad I found out what the problem on my system was.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Installed and authorized MasterQ2 today (AU only). No issues with installation or authorization. After restart, I checked my Network settings and—sure enough—there were two "Unknown" locations, though neither was selected. I deleted both "Unknowns" and everything seems to be working as I would expect.

BTW: Though this has been identified as a Sierra issue, I am running El Cap, so it's happening there as well.

Thanks again to Mike H and MLC for the heads up on this installer.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks Rick. I'll send that report to PSP.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote:Installed and authorized MasterQ2 today (AU only). No issues with installation or authorization. After restart, I checked my Network settings and—sure enough—there were two "Unknown" locations, though neither was selected. I deleted both "Unknowns" and everything seems to be working as I would expect.

BTW: Though this has been identified as a Sierra issue, I am running El Cap, so it's happening there as well.

Thanks again to Mike H and MLC for the heads up on this installer.
This didn't happen with Yosemite. No new new locations appeared. I have Sierra on my laptop but I'm not going to be installing any new PSP stuff until I hear this is resolved. It seems unlikely that Apple wil address it, so maybe it's up to others to update installers.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8