Platform M control surface

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rusty Shackleford
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Platform M control surface

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Anyone tried this with DP yet? Looks interesting. MSRP $349
http://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-m/
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
waxman

Re: Platform M control surface

Post by waxman »

This looks really nice... if the motorized faders are smooth it would be hot...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

waxman wrote:This looks really nice... if the motorized faders are smooth it would be hot...
Indeed. I'm curious to check it out...
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

That looks great, but this is like some "phantom company" or something?

I tried to get in touch with them a few times, and they never returned calls or emails.

Their product ratings on Amazon are all like one-star, or no rating at all?

I would love to have a motorized version of my Korg Nano Kontrol. Something very compact like that.

Even the description of the Platform M seems weird...I'm looking at it's picture, but I can't figure out how it could be 18" x 4" x 10"???

https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Pro-Audio-P ... on+digital
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
waxman

Post by waxman »

I would use this in a travel rig. I am addicted to my Raven but I would not try to travel with it. So this would do the trick... I am hoping the strip on the new MacBook pro can be made into a Batch Commander similar to Slates Batch Command. Along with a mini moving fader mixer I'm setting up anywhere...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I just got my Icon Platform M (supplies are low but I got lucky and got the last one at Amazon), and I have to say it's pretty slick. Despite some misinformed reviews, it's not made of plastic but of metal, as promised.... the capacitance sensing in the faders is very quick... the faders are nice and long, and very smooth.... there are Record, Solo and Mute buttons on each channel, plus a pan knob (programmable)... just enough transport control (for me, anyway)... and it fits sweetly into my downsized super-clean workstation desktop.

I haven't mixed with it yet, but I expect to be perfectly happy with it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The site makes specific mention of Windows compatibility but not OS X, and mentions presets for many DAWs, but not DP. Was there any issue setting it up for OS X and DP?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:The site makes specific mention of Windows compatibility but not OS X, and mentions presets for many DAWs, but not DP. Was there any issue setting it up for OS X and DP?
Nope. It worked as a Mackie controller with no modification.

I opened DP, loaded a game score I'm working on and the faders jumped right into position! This is what was missing from the Korg. Well, that and the fact that the Korg has real tiny faders. These are 100mm motorized faders. The Select, Mute, Solo and Record buttons all work, the pan pots work, all I did was plug it in and configure DP in Control Surface Setup. And that's that.

I think this will address all the problems with the Korg Nanothing. $350, and it's just exactly everything I need and nothing I don't.

The editing software is what's good with Windows: they say the Mac version will come soon.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:These are 100mm motorized faders. The Select, Mute, Solo and Record buttons all work, the pan pots work, all I did was plug it in and configure DP in Control Surface Setup.
My ancient Behringer does all this, but the fader motors are very noisy. Is the M reasonably quiet?
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:These are 100mm motorized faders. The Select, Mute, Solo and Record buttons all work, the pan pots work, all I did was plug it in and configure DP in Control Surface Setup.
My ancient Behringer does all this, but the fader motors are very noisy. Is the M reasonably quiet?
That's subjective. I'll say they're not as loud as the faders in my old digital consoles. So, I'd say, fairly quiet. I think it's because of the mass of the case: for it's size, it's much heavier than you'd expect.

Until you close your DAW for the day (as I just did), and they all zip to zero.
Jim Bordner

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

UPDATE:

The Icon Platform M is exactly what I've been waiting for.

I've been tracking this morning with the unit sitting just to the left of my Mac keyboard, and it totally rocks. The long-throw faders feel great, having pan knobs again is a huge help, I love being able to mute or solo a track with reaching for the trackpad. Well made, priced right. It's the bee's knees.

I feel like my changeover from hardware to ITB is now complete. Only took about a year to get it right.
Jim Bordner

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

JSmith1234567 wrote:That looks great, but this is like some "phantom company" or something?

I tried to get in touch with them a few times, and they never returned calls or emails.

Their product ratings on Amazon are all like one-star, or no rating at all?
It kinda of IS a motorized version of the Korg NanoKontrol (I had one and the lack of motors drove me nuts... never occurred to me until I actually used a control surface without motors that it wouldn't reset itself to the state of the current project!). It's a bit larger than the Korg.

That 18" dimension is the size of the box. The actual unit, measured by me right this minute, is 15.5" wide x 7.75" deep x 1 5/8" high at the back, sloping down to about a half inch high at the front.

Icon appears to be a European company, and they can be hard to raise.

Finally, as to that bombing they got at Amazon: that guy was just working real hard to come up with thing to criticize about the unit, apparently to sound like The Cool Guy. He bitched that it was supposed to be made of metal (it is) but he thought it was plastic (only the bottom plate). He thought the faders didn't react to touch fast enough (he's wrong). He finally even ended up crabbing about how sharp the top edge of the knurls on the pan knobs are (grow up, for gawdssakes). Since that's the only complete review over there so far, he ended up giving them a 2-star average. Don't listen to him: for the price, this a 5-star piece of kit.

I should leave a review at Amazon (since I got mine there...)
Jim Bordner

Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Very cool to hear Jim! Yah, was checking it out. Especially price wise, it looks it might be a decent answer to my controller needs. I suppose you could stack a couple of these for more fader action? Jeff

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Martini Hill wrote:Very cool to hear Jim! Yah, was checking it out. Especially price wise, it looks it might be a decent answer to my controller needs. I suppose you could stack a couple of these for more fader action? Jeff

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
On their site they show 3-4 models from a simple channel display to a full featured unit. The M can be expanded with 1-3 Model X units which can also be used standalone. But there are other controllers worth a look. There is a one fader unit that looks useful for tracking if not mixing.

http://iconproaudio.com/
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:Finally, as to that bombing they got at Amazon: that guy was just working real hard to come up with thing to criticize about the unit, apparently to sound like The Cool Guy. He bitched that it was supposed to be made of metal (it is) but he thought it was plastic (only the bottom plate). He thought the faders didn't react to touch fast enough (he's wrong). He finally even ended up crabbing about how sharp the top edge of the knurls on the pan knobs are (grow up, for gawdssakes). Since that's the only complete review over there so far, he ended up giving them a 2-star average. Don't listen to him: for the price, this a 5-star piece of kit.

I should leave a review at Amazon (since I got mine there...)
Yeah... you should leave a review to help fix the average. I notice they also sell a little meter bridge separately. That might be kind of cool. Hmmmm...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!