Platform M control surface

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Platform M control surface

Post by Gravity Jim »

James - done and done.

The Platform X is not yet available, but soon.

The iMap software will be available for Mac "soon," as well. I talked to their support people (easy to get ahold of, I found) and they were friendly and quick to answer. (JSmith, you have to call the US number, I think... if you already were, then I just had a better experience).

This is a Avid Artist at 1/3 the price.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:This is a Avid Artist at 1/3 the price.
Woweee! This is on my short list for sure. Potentially may work better than the Avid Artist which I've heard is problematic with DP. Boy... really lusting after one of these now. Might end up giving up my AlphaTrack although perhaps there would be a use for it running in tandem.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:This is a Avid Artist at 1/3 the price.
Woweee! This is on my short list for sure. Potentially may work better than the Avid Artist which I've heard is problematic with DP. Boy... really lusting after one of these now. Might end up giving up my AlphaTrack although perhaps there would be a use for it running in tandem.
Agreed! Standing by for availability!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Gravity Jim wrote:UPDATE:

The Icon Platform M is exactly what I've been waiting for.

I've been tracking this morning with the unit sitting just to the left of my Mac keyboard, and it totally rocks. The long-throw faders feel great, having pan knobs again is a huge help, I love being able to mute or solo a track with reaching for the trackpad. Well made, priced right. It's the bee's knees.
Thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
waxman

Post by waxman »

bayswater wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:These are 100mm motorized faders. The Select, Mute, Solo and Record buttons all work, the pan pots work, all I did was plug it in and configure DP in Control Surface Setup.
My ancient Behringer does all this, but the fader motors are very noisy. Is the M reasonably quiet?
I had a Behringer... It sounded like a toy train accelerating. Those things were SO LOUD... If the M-control is not distracting I'll get it for travel. Anything to not have to mouse faders... It should be illegal.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote: Anything to not have to mouse faders... It should be illegal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Gravity Jim wrote:James - done and done.

The iMap software will be available for Mac "soon," as well. I talked to their support people (easy to get ahold of, I found) and they were friendly and quick to answer. (JSmith, you have to call the US number, I think... if you already were, then I just had a better experience).

Thanks for the tip!

I tried to reach them like a year & a-half ago, so that may have been the problem.

I think the "US office" was not quite an office back then.

Great to hear they are on-the-case.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:James - done and done.

Thanks for the tip!

I tried to reach them like a year & a-half ago, so that may have been the problem.

I think the "US office" was not quite an office back then.

Great to hear they are on-the-case.
Hey...do you know what the Map software is supposed to do?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

From looking at screen shots, it seems to be an easy way to create, save and reload control maps in a format the Platform M can understand. You could probably remap the control in DP, if you were so inclined, but the iMap software loads and retrieves set-ups in the device's own language.

I think, that is. I haven't used it yet.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Gravity Jim wrote:From looking at screen shots, it seems to be an easy way to create, save and reload control maps in a format the Platform M can understand. You could probably remap the control in DP, if you were so inclined, but the iMap software loads and retrieves set-ups in the device's own language.

I think, that is. I haven't used it yet.
Hey thanks!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Here's my desk, completely finished. Two 23" WS displays, TC Electronics LevelPilot, Icon Platform M, Mac keyboard and Magic Trackpad, and an Arturia KeyLab 49. There's a rack of mic pres and my MOTU 896mk3 and MIDI Timepiece to my left with my Fuchs ODS head sitting on top. (Also an 88-key Yamaha CP-33 and guitars on stands behind me).

Absolutely what I wanted when I started this ITB odyssey. Small, compact, elegant, inexpensive, foolproof... everything I need and nothing extra, as Suzuki-roshi would say.

Jim Bordner

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Gravity Jim wrote:Here's my desk, completely finished. Two 23" WS displays, TC Electronics LevelPilot, Icon Platform M, Mac keyboard and Magic Trackpad, and an Arturia KeyLab 49. There's a rack of mic pres and my MOTU 896mk3 and MIDI Timepiece to my left with my Fuchs ODS head sitting on top. (Also an 88-key Yamaha CP-33 and guitars on stands behind me).

Absolutely what I wanted when I started this ITB odyssey. Small, compact, elegant, inexpensive, foolproof... everything I need and nothing extra, as Suzuki-roshi would say.

A bit of a late comer to this particular thread but I am getting one of those tomorrow and I had a question concerning MIDI. On top of using it to automate Audio I would like another one of those to be assigned to MIDI controllers. Can that be done?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
darrell

Post by darrell »

Maybe I missed in this thread, but are the faders touch-sensitive re automated recording?
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Gravity Jim wrote:Here's my desk, completely finished. Two 23" WS displays, TC Electronics LevelPilot, Icon Platform M, Mac keyboard and Magic Trackpad, and an Arturia KeyLab 49. There's a rack of mic pres and my MOTU 896mk3 and MIDI Timepiece to my left with my Fuchs ODS head sitting on top. (Also an 88-key Yamaha CP-33 and guitars on stands behind me).

So can you give us an update?

How is it all working???

Thanks!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I got the Icon. It works ok though it doesn't bank automatically when selecting a track outside of its range. The thing I would like to sort out now is using it with MIDI CCs.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl