Slates VerbSuite available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Slates VerbSuite available

Post by waxman »

why did it double?
Last edited by waxman on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm torn on this myself, as the Slate subscription is reasonably priced (unlike any others) and it seems unlikely he'd pull a fast one by jumping the price a huge amount once he has people in the bag.

Nevertheless, I don't like the idea of being captive to dependencies beyond my control, when it comes to music production stuff. Slate is doing well now, but we all know how fast the industry changes. A perpetual license -- such as the one for BIAS Peak Pro -- can far outlive the vendor.

All the same, I've stopped buying the new plug-ins as of last month, as I kept buying them all through the year. But it works out well, because you don't lose your perpetual licenses if you go to the subscription model; you simply aren't as well-protected for the new stuff that comes along.

So Slate's model is really the most flexible of anyone's (try Adobe on for size, for an extreme in the other direction).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:A perpetual license -- such as the one for BIAS Peak Pro -- can far outlive the vendor.
That is true, and is a good reason to buy the items you rely on. With Slate, one thing that is not usually discussed in these sorts of threads is renting the entire bundle, then decide which plugins you really rely on, and buy those.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Slates VerbSuite available

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:This should be in General Recording, as it has nothing to do with DP. But hey, why start placing threads in appropriate forums now?

In fact, here's a recipe for zucchini bread:

Ingredients
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

<SNIP>
Actually, plug-ins that are used WITH DP are okay in this forum and pretty sure always have been. General recording is primarily for microphones, monitors, cables, keyboards, various outboard hardware effects, etc. So it's okay. I'll delete your OT post.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I'm curious to check out the new verb plugs.

I have bought lots of Slate plugins and think they are OK.
The plugs seem to work well with DP and that is a good thing.

I'd be very reluctant to subscribe to Slate's rental plan.
Seems like a bargain at first, but it becomes another annual bill to be paid.
Amazing how fast that bargain turns in to an obligation.

Instant gratification turns in to .... another year.... It's time to make the Slate/car payment.

Maybe good if you figured out your business model.
Maybe bad if you are stretched and can't afford the annual expense and just want to keep your Slate infused DP sessions going.

Food for thought.
All is well
waxman

Post by waxman »

waterstrum wrote:I'm curious to check out the new verb plugs.

I have bought lots of Slate plugins and think they are OK.
The plugs seem to work well with DP and that is a good thing.

I'd be very reluctant to subscribe to Slate's rental plan.
Seems like a bargain at first, but it becomes another annual bill to be paid.
Amazing how fast that bargain turns in to an obligation.

Instant gratification turns in to .... another year.... It's time to make the Slate/car payment.

Maybe good if you figured out your business model.
Maybe bad if you are stretched and can't afford the annual expense and just want to keep your Slate infused DP sessions going.

Food for thought.
The Everything Bundle individually is about $2k and counting. The companies in the same league are UAD, Waves, Sound Toys have Eco systems that are 2-3 times the cost. With UAD you gotta add lots of sharc hardware. I have about $9k in UAD hardware and plugins. I would rather rent Slate for over 11 years. All the UAD, Waves and Slate will be long in the tooth and probably not usable by then. Waves bumps you for $200 a year and UAD 3 is just around the corner. For my business model and taxes leasing Slate plugs pencils out. But to each his own.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Ok, back to the VerbSuite...the subscription vs. owning argument is getting old.

And to keep it within the perspective of using VerbSuite with DP - it uses very little CPU.
Sound quality is on par with or better than any other algorithmi reverb plugin out there.
I was close to buying Lexicon's PCM Bundle but now I don't need to.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Nonetheless, it's a relatively new phenomenon and it enters into the purchase decision for many of us.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

David Polich wrote:Ok, back to the VerbSuite...the subscription vs. owning argument is getting old.

And to keep it within the perspective of using VerbSuite with DP - it uses very little CPU.
Sound quality is on par with or better than any other algorithmi reverb plugin out there.
I was close to buying Lexicon's PCM Bundle but now I don't need to.
I haven't used it enough to comment other than quite a few of the presets I tried seem more modulated than the other reverbs I have. Maybe they're closer to the original? I have no idea. Just an early observation.

OT- I'm really digging PSP's 2445 verb.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce