Slates VerbSuite available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by waxman »

Sounding amazing... go get em
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Slates VerbSuite available

Post by labman »

Tis very very exciting. The Reverberate 2 engine is the bomb. I was soon happy to see that Steven chose it to be his flagship for reverbs.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

labman wrote:Tis very very exciting. The Reverberate 2 engine is the bomb. I was soon happy to see that Steven chose it to be his flagship for reverbs.
I'm a total pushover for reverb plugs! This looks like an incredible value and being sort of into the old school 80s metal sound, I always wanted a Lexicon 480 emulation but didn't want to spend the bucks. I noticed all these reverb models have an "FG-" prefix, so I'm assuming Fabrice Gabriel was involved in the coding as well. If so, I'm betting it sounds really nice. The demos sounded good on the YouTube video, but I think I'll download the demo to make sure.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

I've been using Verbsuite all day. I went through all the sounds. This is a great multi reverb plug. They will continue to add more models as time goes on. How can you not go for this everything package for $174 per year. If I had to I could do everything with just Slate plugs except for a couple UAD plugs. I am a homer for UAD but if I was starting again I may just go with Slate... But the UAD hardware makes it unique. It's going to be tough to keep buying UAD plugs...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I may just BUY this plug instead of the bundle. I understand this plug can be purchased instead of "rented."

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

the bundle is $174 per year. Reverb Plug is $199...
waxman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:the bundle is $174 per year. Reverb Plug is $199...
Right. To buy it outright. I can't help it. I'm queasy about "renting" my plug ins no matter how good a deal it is.

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

The thing that makes Reverberate 2 engine so spectacular is that it is one of the very few convolutions that does true stereo. It is so far above the 3D depth and imaging of the others it just makes you smile. (We only use the fusion IRs though)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

James Steele wrote:
Right. To buy it outright. I can't help it. I'm queasy about "renting" my plug ins no matter how good a deal it is.
I am so with you James- I've dropped several things on principle that went to a rent scenario, but this is a screaming deal IMO once you see all you get– mic modeling, a high-end de-esser (is that an oxymoron?) compressors, mic pre's, EQ's, specialty processors, etc. I really like the VMR approach too. At the time I bought Slate's everything deal for a year I was also considering buying the Manley Voxbox from UA for $299 (which I do really like) but comparing prices on a limited budget I finally gave in to Slate. I was already thrilled with it but then yesterday woke up to a new verb plug-in that rocks and soon (hopefully) Slate's Distressor plug as well as other things that will be added. I wasn't aware that Empirical Labs had their own plug– kind of interesting they would endorse Slate's as well.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
waxman

Post by waxman »

philbrown wrote: ... At the time I bought Slate's everything deal for a year I was also considering buying the Manley Voxbox from UA for $299 (which I do really like) but comparing prices on a limited budget I finally gave in to Slate. I was already thrilled with it but then yesterday woke up to a new verb plug-in that sounds beautiful and soon (hopefully) Slate's Stress plug as well as other things that will be added...
Phil I did buy the Vox Box and love it. I've used it on every vocal until VMS. But the thing is the Slate Virtual Mic SYSTEM is a different approach to the vocal chain. Certainly you can put the VoxBox in the input section of the UAD mixer but it's become an expensive monitoring luxury. It sounds great on bass and other instruments but the Slate Pre is better imo.

I LOVE UAD. I have most of the plugs, Apollo 16, Apollo Twin, Octo and Quad Satellites. Suddenly technology is changing very fast. With DP 9.12 Pre-gen my buffer setting is usually at 128. I can load up a gazillion Slate plugs with minimal CPU hit. So the off loading DSP of UAD may become an unnecessary feature. Again I LOVE UAD and have for years. I am stuck in to the UAD ecosystem. But at this rate I can do 99% of what I do with just the Slate Everything Bundle. A year rental is less then one UAD plug. To use a lot of UAD plugs I gotta have a lot of UAD hardware.

If I was building a new system from scratch I would not spend the premium $$$ for UAD.
waxman
billf

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:
I agree, rental models are not what I wish to get into.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

waxman wrote:
philbrown wrote: ... At the time I bought Slate's everything deal for a year I was also considering buying the Manley Voxbox from UA for $299 (which I do really like) but comparing prices on a limited budget I finally gave in to Slate. I was already thrilled with it but then yesterday woke up to a new verb plug-in that sounds beautiful and soon (hopefully) Slate's Stress plug as well as other things that will be added...
Phil I did buy the Vox Box and love it. I've used it on every vocal until VMS. But the thing is the Slate Virtual Mic SYSTEM is a different approach to the vocal chain. Certainly you can put the VoxBox in the input section of the UAD mixer but it's become an expensive monitoring luxury. It sounds great on bass and other instruments but the Slate Pre is better imo.

I LOVE UAD. I have most of the plugs, Apollo 16, Apollo Twin, Octo and Quad Satellites. Suddenly technology is changing very fast. With DP 9.12 Pre-gen my buffer setting is usually at 128. I can load up a gazillion Slate plugs with minimal CPU hit. So the off loading DSP of UAD may become an unnecessary feature. Again I LOVE UAD and have for years. I am stuck in to the UAD ecosystem. But at this rate I can do 99% of what I do with just the Slate Everything Bundle. A year rental is less then one UAD plug. To use a lot of UAD plugs I gotta have a lot of UAD hardware.

If I was building a new system from scratch I would not spend the premium $$$ for UAD.
I agree with all that. I was just comparing ALL of slates stuff for a year vs purchasing one other (admittedly high end) plug and what finally made me go to the dark side. :-) But I'm not trying to convince anyone. I also have bad PAS (Plug-in Acquisition Syndrome) so there's that...

A guy on the Slate FB group made a really nice informative spread sheet about the VerbSuite. You can save it as a PDF or other formats to store locally and refer to it.
I want to get better at choosing verbs anyway so it looks like it will be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
waxman

Post by waxman »

philbrown wrote: I agree with all that. I was just comparing ALL of slates stuff for a year vs purchasing one other (admittedly high end) plug and what finally made me go to the dark side. :-) But I'm not trying to convince anyone. I also have bad PAS (Plug-in Acquisition Syndrome) so there's that...

A guy on the Slate FB group made a really nice informative spread sheet about the VerbSuite. You can save it as a PDF or other formats to store locally and refer to it.
I want to get better at choosing verbs anyway so it looks like it will be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Thanks Phil I downloaded the info sheet on the VerbSuite. Pretty cool... Interesting times we are in with the technology. I'm thinking I should get rid of some of the extra UAD stuff before UAD 3 hits. I'm definitely selling the quad satellite right away. The nice thing is I can sell some of the plugs with it that I don't use much anymore...
waxman