DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Post by kwiz »

Imagine the possibilities with the multi touch bar! (DP's Tool bar, commands, etc)

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
waxman

Re: DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Post by waxman »

You could set up a cool batch commander on that strip... especially since it scrolls...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I'm really not a fan of the idea that Apple is trying to drag people back to looking at their keyboards.

Nor am I enthused about the idea that position and size of 'keys' changes when I change applications.

:smash:
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

No Esc key
No SSD upgrade options for 13" version
No 32GB option on any
Price Hike (yikes!)

Apple really let me down this time. They basically introduced nothing that I wanted and everything that I didn't.

Although, I can see some cool uses for the Touch Bar, I'm not really against it as much as some. But lack of Esc key REALLY worries me. What is a computer without an "oh ••••" button?!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I thought it was awesome, and I can't wait to see what is possible once audio apps start finding creative ways to support the Touch Bar. With most DAWs cross platform, however, I can see it posing problems inasmuch as the PC version won't have the Touch Bar features, and I fear this could discourage developers from supporting it.

I also found myself wishing it were bigger, and wondering if it might be better located at the bottom above the trackpad. Bigger would, of course, mean higher price tag. It's hard to know without experiencing it in person.

Overall, I found the potential inspiring. Microsoft has tried to blur the line between tablet and desktop. Apple has chosen to keep iOS and macOS as distinct user experiences. But they have tried to crossover and integrate where they can, and they are usually pretty smart about it.

The way I see it, you get something more compact than the Macbook Air, with the power of the Macbook Pro, integrated with a taste of an iOS-ish touch experience. I can't wait to see more!
Last edited by Babz on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Randolph

Prime Mover wrote:No Esc key
No SSD upgrade options for 13" version
No 32GB option on any
Price Hike (yikes!)

Apple really let me down this time. They basically introduced nothing that I wanted and everything that I didn't.

Although, I can see some cool uses for the Touch Bar, I'm not really against it as much as some. But lack of Esc key REALLY worries me. What is a computer without an "oh ••••" button?!
There is an escape "button" on the touch-bar. It was visible in many of the demos.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Prime Mover wrote: No 32GB option on any
I know, right? I am in the same boat w/ my late 2012 MacMini (which is also a Quad i7 processor). As I understand it, the processor can support 32GB, but it is designed to do so only with 4 memory slots. Last I checked no one had yet put 16GB on a single DIMM, at least not one compatible w/ my Mini. I'm not sure why that is difficult. I remember reading about it at one time. I think it's a space issue. I assume the same situation obtains in the case of the new MBPs -- only two DIMM slots.

Unfortunately, I think this makes the trash can the only option for +16GB memory.
Prime Mover wrote: But lack of Esc key REALLY worries me. What is a computer without an "oh ••••" button?!
I'm sure there must be some equivalent or for the Esc key.

Best,
Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Yes, here is a link w/ more details on the 32GB-in-2-DIMM-slots issue (at least insofar as it applies to the Mini):

https://macminicolo.net/blog/files/can- ... f-RAM.html

B.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Babz wrote:Yes, here is a link w/ more details on the 32GB-in-2-DIMM-slots issue (at least insofar as it applies to the Mini):

https://macminicolo.net/blog/files/can- ... f-RAM.html

B.
I didn't even realize that anyone sold 16GB DIMMs, I'd been scouring the internet up and down for them, so this must be fairly new. Unfortunately, it looks like the Mini (and probably the MacBook) can't access it, very sad.

As for the Esc Key, yes, it's there, but folded behind the Fn button (an extra button press), AND, more concerning, the Esc key is used for Cmd-Opt-Esc when things are locked up. Who's to say the TouchBar won't be locked up then too? I'm not crazy about my "oh crap" button being hidden behind a software bar. Furthermore, "Esc" is my "cancel" or "exit full screen" button, which is great to have a SINGLE key for. Now that you have to hold down Fn, it's not as nice. I use it a lot while playing in MainStage, even during gigs, to jump out of full screen mode.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:No Esc key
According to CNET Esc is where it always was. But aside from these changes, which I could live with and make use of, a MBP minimally suitable for DP would be about $2K. That's going in the wrong direction. With the MINI becoming a toy, the iMac coming with a screen no one needs, and the Pro sitting in the forgotten pile with ancient technology, I can't see getting another Mac.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Macs come with two things I need/like:
- MainStage
- No Windows

If it weren't for those things, I'd switch in a heartbeat.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Robert Randolph wrote:I'm really not a fan of the idea that Apple is trying to drag people back to looking at their keyboards.

Nor am I enthused about the idea that position and size of 'keys' changes when I change applications.

:smash:
I had that same thought. But I was never able to use the function keys "by touch" anyway. The drawback with the touch strip is the same as my gripe about touch screens generally-- you may have to move your hands OFF the keyboard to be able to see it. Then your fingers must then block the featureless surface while you interact with it. I'd have preferred a small display strip above a non-display, slightly textured touch strip.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:I'm really not a fan of the idea that Apple is trying to drag people back to looking at their keyboards.
Blackberry did that a very long time ago. Apple just made it better, or worse depending on your perspective.
Robert Randolph

bayswater wrote:
Blackberry did that a very long time ago. Apple just made it better, or worse depending on your perspective.
I also didn't like blackberrys for similar reasons.

The whole touch paradigm where you are required to obfuscate the control that you are interacting with is just silly to me anyway. This new strip just adds another layer of intrinsically poor design.

(This post was typed on a 1984 IBM Model M keyboard that I've owned for nearly that long. Surely this has nothing to do with my opinions)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:(This post was typed on a 1984 IBM Model M keyboard that I've owned for nearly that long. Surely this has nothing to do with my opinions)
I had one of those. It was the best keyboard I've ever used. But that sort of thing is gone and isn't coming back.