DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jlaudon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Post by jlaudon »

The 16gig RAM limit is the deal breaker (again) for me. I'm using Mac Minis, and constantly get stuck with the 16gig RAM limit... the Mac Pro seems dead in the water, so I'm waiting for the new iMacs, at least there can be 32 gigs RAM in those.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

So it seems Apple is citing battery life concerns as the reason for the 16GB memory constraint on the new MBP.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/new ... tery-life/

This might lead me to be hopeful we could still see 32GB in the next Mini, except that based on part experience, Apple seems to just use the same logic board as the current MBPs in the Mini, essentially notebook brains in a Mini case. But it could still be theoretically possible, if 16GB DIMMs become more common. Unfortunately, the Mini seems to get the very lowest priority from Apple in recent years. :roll:

Babz
Last edited by Babz on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman

Post by waxman »

I can see being totally ITB and using a MacBook Pro 15" by January 2018. Here's why...

It will take a Thunderbolt 3 dock like below to pull it off. Technology suddenly is changing again. Slate Everything Bundle has replaced much of my UAD ecosystem. Still love UAD system but it is limited by the number of Sharc. DP 9.12 pre-gen has such a low CPU hit off loading DSP is no longer mandatory. After Slates VerbSuite release the writing is on the wall. Slate is going to disrupt EVERYTHING... The Raven, Everything Bundle, VMS. Who knows what is next. A DAW?

The new 15" MacBook Pros are as fast as my current MacPro trash can with 4 TBolt 3 ports at 40Gpbs. So again I predict I'll be on a MacBook Pro 15", Apollo Twin with my current Focusrite ISA 828 with light pipe into the Apollo twin for 10 channels of input. Raven, Everything Bundle and VMS by early 2018. It will pack into a few small cases. I'll focus on being mobile along with a room for mixing and o'dubs. Back to ITB...

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U095/?cl ... us&irgwc=1
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Just to put this out there regarding Mac Pros- I just bought an Apple refurbished Mac Pro 2013 6,1 2.7gH, 12 core, 1TB SSD, 64gb RAM for $4600 to replace my 2008 MP 3,1. It's eligible for AppleCare. High core count is crucial if you're running DP with VIs as has been written about on the forum a lot. My 2014 MBP is i7 4 core, not enough cores for my workflow. Alternately you can find used 12 core 5,1 2012 for a little over $3k. I use my MBP for onsite recording, sketching in DP and for my film music/DP seminars and demos, but for my composing work it doesn't cut it. My 2¢.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:I can see being totally ITB and using a MacBook Pro 15" by January 2018. Here's why...

It will take a Thunderbolt 3 dock like below to pull it off. Technology suddenly is changing again.
This is why I've been sitting out the upgrade cycle this time around. My Mac Pro is 4 years old, and I feel the need to replace it, but I'm not going with the new stuff until it has matured. Of course, when I finally get it, it will be Thunderbolt 4, and everyone will be saying "Thunderbolt is long in the tooth," and suddenly there'll be a new wireless technology that is unlimited in speed and capacity, and once again I'll be waiting for it to mature. "Mature" means: lots of products, lots of competition, low cost, lots of bang for the buck.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:
waxman wrote:I can see being totally ITB and using a MacBook Pro 15" by January 2018. Here's why...

It will take a Thunderbolt 3 dock like below to pull it off. Technology suddenly is changing again.
This is why I've been sitting out the upgrade cycle this time around. My Mac Pro is 4 years old, and I feel the need to replace it, but I'm not going with the new stuff until it has matured. Of course, when I finally get it, it will be Thunderbolt 4, and everyone will be saying "Thunderbolt is long in the tooth," and suddenly there'll be a new wireless technology that is unlimited in speed and capacity, and once again I'll be waiting for it to mature. "Mature" means: lots of products, lots of competition, low cost, lots of bang for the buck.
Shooshie I am so sold on this new MBPro that it has changed my Biz model. I had no idea these things would have as much power and I/O as my 2013 trash can. I am suddenly free to record anywhere in the world and work anywhere I want. With DP's new low CPU usage I can insert a gazillion Slate plugs. I'm going back to just my Apollo twin and on Focusrite ISA 8ch with light pipe. I can do 90% of what I do with 10 channels. I'm imagining going to Starbucks early evening when the place is dead and set up a 50 plus track mix with 10 sub mixes. Name set up everything, add FX all on headphones. The mix it in about 2 hours the next morning. If I work 10 mins or 10 hours it's 100% recall. The NEVE 8816 summing mixer is constantly changing from project to project. Bugs the crap out of me. But I'm getting the right sound now ITB with the tape, channel and master plugs.

The biggest factor is I am not limited by the number of projects I am working on or the location. I can handle as many projects as I get. I will never again turn down any work. If I get 3 or 4 extra projects I'll go do them in a resort for a week in a hotel room. I can go anywhere with two 2' x 2' suit case size flight case luggage instead of racks of gear.

This is A BEAUTIFUL THING...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pSryU ... tion=share
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Inspiring, Waxman! For the past 10 years, I've been doing the same kind of thing using a MacBook Pro for location work. I never really thought about having it all in one box, because I didn't think it was possible, but you're making me think about it. How many cores do you have? Are you able to use tons of virtual instruments?

One question that may seem silly, but it's critical to my workspace: can you dock with the MacBook Pro while the lid is shut? I need for it to be shut and out of the way, like my desktop MP, which sits under the desk, of course. I'm envisioning a rack of hard drives, convertors, and whatever else is necessary to plug in all the stuff I use, then a keyboard, Trackpad, and monitor on the desktop, with a slot under the desk for the MBP. Plug it in with Thunderbolt, slide it in the slot, and be done with it. Does that sound right?

I've been going to remote locations with a suitcase, a shoulder bag, and a rolling cart full of mics and cables. Plus a load of mic stands. Sometimes music stands. Sometimes a table and chairs. Depends on the location. I don't see this getting smaller by much, but the key difference would be that it would be essentially the same setup I use at home. Exactly the same.

If I worked on the cartage aspect of this setup, I might even come out of retirement to do a lot more projects. Transport is the hardest thing, especially the mic stands and such. If I could simplify the whole thing it would make it more appealing. I just don't like the work of setup and striking.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:Inspiring, Waxman! For the past 10 years, I've been doing the same kind of thing using a MacBook Pro for location work. I never really thought about having it all in one box, because I didn't think it was possible, but you're making me think about it. How many cores do you have? Are you able to use tons of virtual instruments?

One question that may seem silly, but it's critical to my workspace: can you dock with the MacBook Pro while the lid is shut? I need for it to be shut and out of the way, like my desktop MP, which sits under the desk, of course. I'm envisioning a rack of hard drives, convertors, and whatever else is necessary to plug in all the stuff I use, then a keyboard, Trackpad, and monitor on the desktop, with a slot under the desk for the MBP. Plug it in with Thunderbolt, slide it in the slot, and be done with it. Does that sound right?

I've been going to remote locations with a suitcase, a shoulder bag, and a rolling cart full of mics and cables. Plus a load of mic stands. Sometimes music stands. Sometimes a table and chairs. Depends on the location. I don't see this getting smaller by much, but the key difference would be that it would be essentially the same setup I use at home. Exactly the same.

If I worked on the cartage aspect of this setup, I might even come out of retirement to do a lot more projects. Transport is the hardest thing, especially the mic stands and such. If I could simplify the whole thing it would make it more appealing. I just don't like the work of setup and striking.

Shoosh
Have no idea on docking with lid closed but I doubt it... I want that screen and touch strip right next to my Raven. But I won't travel with the Raven too delicate.

I'll PM you the plan...
waxman
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Inspiring, Waxman! For the past 10 years, I've been doing the same kind of thing using a MacBook Pro for location work. I never really thought about having it all in one box, because I didn't think it was possible, but you're making me think about it. How many cores do you have? Are you able to use tons of virtual instruments?

Shoosh
Have no idea on docking with lid closed but I doubt it... I want that screen and touch strip right next to my Raven. But I won't travel with the Raven too delicate.

I'll PM you the plan...
Shooshie, you can dock the MBP with the lid closed and still operate with an external monitor. I do this on 2 laptops in my home office. You want to use an external monitor right?

Waxman, I'm stoked about the new MBP as well! 16 gigs of ram is plenty to work with even with VI's on deck. 8 cores are fine unless you're running a mega scoring rig with dozens of VI's running simultaneously and even then, it could be done in a pinch if you're wise with the VI rack and the track freezing function. I just put in the order for a 15 inch model but with 1TB of ram!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
waxman

Post by waxman »

kwiz wrote:
waxman wrote:

Shoosh

I'll PM you the plan...
Shooshie, you can dock the MBP with the lid closed and still operate with an external monitor. I do this on 2 laptops in my home office. You want to use an external monitor right?

Waxman, I'm stoked about the new MBP as well! 16 gigs of ram is plenty to work with even with VI's on deck. 8 cores are fine unless you're running a mega scoring rig with dozens of VI's running simultaneously and even then, it could be done in a pinch if you're wise with the VI rack and the track freezing function. I just put in the order for a 15 inch model but with 1TB of ram!
I did not see an 8 core... Only 4 core which is all I need...
Yeah baby see you at Starbucks with the MBPro... hahah

waxman
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Whoops my bad, I meant 4 core. I must've been thinking about my 8 core trashcan... :lol:

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
waxman

Post by waxman »

kwiz wrote:Whoops my bad, I meant 4 core. I must've been thinking about my 8 core trashcan... :lol:
This will make a significant difference....
1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory MacPro Trash can
2133MHz LPDDR3 memory New Mac Book Pro
waxman
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

waxman wrote: This will make a significant difference....
1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory MacPro Trash can
2133MHz LPDDR3 memory New Mac Book Pro
No doubt!!

F. Douglas
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Waxman, here's another expansion option. I'm a big fan of OWC stuff and here's their answer to expanding the ports on the new MBP!

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/owc-anno ... rts_tb3dk/

F. Douglas
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

kwiz wrote:Waxman, here's another expansion option. I'm a big fan of OWC stuff and here's their answer to expanding the ports on the new MBP!

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/owc-anno ... rts_tb3dk/
While that dock does look nice, I wonder how necessary it is. The TB 3 port is capable of a lot without it.

Thunderbolt 3 provides twice the display bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2, enabling it to support two 4K displays or one 5K display. And with two Thunderbolt controllers in the new 15-inch MacBook Pro, you can send graphics to dual 5K displays for the perfect high-resolution photo and video editing setup. Thunderbolt 3 connects natively to all displays and monitors with DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort, while supporting HDMI and VGA displays with the use of an adapter.

As for myself, I am hoping that the next iMac has two–four of those ports. Ideally, the next Mac Pro will, also (my son-in-law changes the subject when I ask him about that). So, while I am not ready to buy a new Mac for myself, I do like the direction where this is heading. In any case, I am holding off on upgrading my 2010 iMac till then (if possible, knock on wood...).

For all of the talk about 4K displays, the iMac Retina has a 5K display. Is Apple going to come out with their own or rely on 3rd party vendors as they do now (Apple discontinued the TB display nearly a year ago)?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro