DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: The i5 does not have an FPU. With DP, it does make a difference as I discovered.
Yes, it does make a difference, at least with DP. Doesn't seem that different with Logic.

But, are you sure the i5 does not have a FPU? I've been told by a few people who should know, that it does, and if I look it up, I see the i5 is listed as having an "integrated FPU (which I assume means you get the FPU in the chip, rather than having to install a separate "87" chip like the old PCs). When looking up the differences between i5 and i7 that are related to performance I see several mentions of a larger cache, and hyperthreading given as a reason for better FP performance with repetitive tasks. Also some mentions of better "burst" speeds, but nothing on the FPU itself.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The scuttlebutt used to be that the i7 contained an FPU and that the i5 didn't. A number of generations of Intel processors later, I am not so certain that's still true.

Trying to figure out the differences now? I defy anyone to do so in any of the recent articles except that the i7s support hyperthreading and the i5s do not.

I have had many chances to A/B DP on machines where the big difference is that one is an i5 and the other is an i7. On certain DP tasks, the difference is much greater than the 30% overall figure always quoted. Some tasks show very little difference. I was able to verify this here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

I was considering an RME Baby Face for portability and that it was buss powered. Then I found out buss power raises the noise floor and introduces other issues including hum. So I got the UAD Apollo Twin Quad for remote recording... I would avoid buss powered interface if tracking. Fine for monitoring remotely...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hang on... so I scooted all over the place sourcing the MOTU AVB spec's for you all for nought, Greg? :lol:

Hopefully the info will prove to be handy at any rate; it's not like that thing's the last interface you'll ever buy, surely?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks M.M... I am so invested in UAD it made sense to continue with the platform for tracking and the final mix day. In between is Slate and a few other Native plugs. But I have a hard time beating Slate E. Bundle. Especially with the verbs and delays along with the VMS. Looking forward to the Distressor being released into the bundle. I only use the Abby Road vocal doubler and the C6 from Waves. Then some Sound Toys and Altiverb. So 95% of my plugs for mixing are Slate.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

i've settled in with the MBP and the Apollo Twin. It's working nicely. I was pleasantly surprised. The student discount reduced the price by $249 and they threw in a $299.98 pair of Beats HPs. I got those in Rose Gold and gave them to my daughter. She was so stoked to be a fashionista.
waxman