DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 or 10 with the NEW MBP!!

Post by waxman »

Starting to see interesting hubs...
https://www.dudesgadget.com/products/th ... acbook-pro

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Just wanted to toss this out there, and more tech inclined people, feel free to shoot me down, it's a slightly informed opinion, not based entirely on empirical evidence.

People are freaking out because PC laptops have 32GB options for RAM, but has anyone even thought about what RAM does and how it works when you run out? OSX uses swap space on your drives to compensate when RAM taps out, which in days of old (yesterday), meant slow hard drives. We now live in the world of blazingly fast SSDs, swap space, and the OS's ability to use the drives empty space to manage RAM has to be improved by all this.

Just saying, 16GB might seem low if you're running VSL, Play, Spitfire etc. orchestral libraries, but how much of that is going to fit on a laptop in the first place? Likely if you're running that stuff you're using a dedicated PC/Mac as a slave etc. Plus Kontakt at least sets most libraries up to run mainly off the SSD, utilizing the speed of the things to save RAM etc.

All that said I would be a fool to upgrade, writing this on a 2012 2.7 four core with 16GB RAM, it's still competitive in tests against the latest MacBooks. Don't get fooled by marketing, Geekbench at least in my experience is accurate.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote:Just wanted to toss this out there, and more tech inclined people, feel free to shoot me down, it's a slightly informed opinion, not based entirely on empirical evidence.

People are freaking out because PC laptops have 32GB options for RAM, but has anyone even thought about what RAM does and how it works when you run out? OSX uses swap space on your drives to compensate when RAM taps out, which in days of old (yesterday), meant slow hard drives. ...

All that said I would be a fool to upgrade, writing this on a 2012 2.7 four core with 16GB RAM, it's still competitive in tests against the latest MacBooks. Don't get fooled by marketing, Geekbench at least in my experience is accurate.
Until I went from 20G to 32G RAM, my system would choke on occasion. My many open browser tabs (over 100 on 3 monitors is normal for my job) is definitely the culprit but DP would freeze if I hadn't closed my browser first—better if I rebooted. I was able to trace this to RAM and haven't had a problem since I upgraded to 32G. There are times when I have only 1.2G free. Yes, virtual RAM works well but sometimes it's not fast enough.

This was after I upgraded to an internal SSD. It was much worse before.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

32gb not available in the MacBook Pro...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

mikehalloran wrote: Until I went from 20G to 32G RAM, my system would choke on occasion. My many open browser tabs (over 100 on 3 monitors is normal for my job) is definitely the culprit but DP would freeze if I hadn't closed my browser first—better if I rebooted. I was able to trace this to RAM and haven't had a problem since I upgraded to 32G. There are times when I have only 1.2G free. Yes, virtual RAM works well but sometimes it's not fast enough.

I am disappointed the new MBP does not have 32gig Ram option. Will only 16g ram impact performance to the point a new MBP will not be as fast as the 2013 Intel 3.5 6 core MacPro trashcan?
waxman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

waxman wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: Until I went from 20G to 32G RAM, my system would choke on occasion. My many open browser tabs (over 100 on 3 monitors is normal for my job) is definitely the culprit but DP would freeze if I hadn't closed my browser first—better if I rebooted. I was able to trace this to RAM and haven't had a problem since I upgraded to 32G. There are times when I have only 1.2G free. Yes, virtual RAM works well but sometimes it's not fast enough.

I am disappointed the new MBP does not have 32gig Ram option. Will only 16g ram impact performance to the point a new MBP will not be as fast as the 2013 Intel 3.5 6 core MacPro trashcan?
I don't know. It's hard for me to say. My browser is clearly the RAM hog in my setup. Otoh, I don't have the heavy VI use that so many others do.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

mikehalloran wrote: I am disappointed the new MBP does not have 32gig Ram option. Will only 16g ram impact performance to the point a new MBP will not be as fast as the 2013 Intel 3.5 6 core MacPro trashcan?
I don't know. It's hard for me to say. My browser is clearly the RAM hog in my setup. Otoh, I don't have the heavy VI use that so many others do.[/quote]

Hmmm... I don't have other apps open when using DP. I use mostly traditional key VI's and rarely large VI templates for scores. So maybe it won't be an issue. Does anybody know of anything in the new MBP that would significantly slow it down compared to my 3.5 six core MacPro trash can?
waxman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Does anybody know of anything in the new MBP that would significantly slow it down compared to my 3.5 six core MacPro trash can?
Make sure you get the i7 chip. The i5 does not have an FPU. With DP, it does make a difference as I discovered.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Does anybody know of anything in the new MBP that would significantly slow it down compared to my 3.5 six core MacPro trash can?
Yeah; two missing cores, possible thermal throttling, and less RAM. But still, a lot of power in a very small space!
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
Yeah; two missing cores, possible thermal throttling, and less RAM. But still, a lot of power in a very small space!
That is my concern... I was ok with it when I thought it was 32gig RAM. Thermal throttling? Yikes... My purpose is to be mobile. I am concerned now if a mobile state of the art rig will be feasible.
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:
The guy at the Apple store said just buy the MBpro and try it for a couple weeks and bring it back if I don't like it... that is what I will do. If it throttles or can't handle at least at the level of my 2013 MacPro I am going to be bummed...
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Got Macbook Pro... so far so good. Added the Hyper-Drive hub. It is nice to get out of the room. If anyone hears of a small high end A to D with TBolt III let me know. I am considering the Benchmark ADC but it's USB.

Here is the Hyperdrive Hub which pretty much takes care of things and the other two Tbolt 3s are still available...

waxman
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

waxman wrote:Got Macbook Pro... so far so good. Added the Hyper-Drive hub.
The Satechi Type-C Pro Hub Adapter also works great with the 2017 MBP.

For inquiring minds, the MOTU Track 16 does work well and is bus powered when connected via a FW 800 to TB2 adapter connected to a TB2 to TB3 adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wvandyck wrote:
waxman wrote:Got Macbook Pro... so far so good. Added the Hyper-Drive hub.
The Satechi Type-C Pro Hub Adapter also works great with the 2017 MBP.

For inquiring minds, the MOTU Track 16 does work well and is bus powered when connected via a FW 800 to TB2 adapter connected to a TB2 to TB3 adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU
There are a number of reports that the Track 16 runs much hotter when bus powered. If that's not an issue for you, then great. Are you able to use phantom power with the small amount of juice that TB supplies?
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

mikehalloran wrote: There are a number of reports that the Track 16 runs much hotter when bus powered. If that's not an issue for you, then great. Are you able to use phantom power with the small amount of juice that TB supplies?
Heat from bus power while perhaps noticed early on has never been an issue.

The mics I have - Oktava large and small condensers - require mic inputs available on either the breakout cable or breakout box, in either case this means connection via USB and use of the external power supply.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.