Soloing Reverb Effects / Aux Channels

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
delany
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Soloing Reverb Effects / Aux Channels

Post by delany »

This question has been asked before, but the last time was 2012 (see links below), so I'm hoping there is a solution by now:

Is there a simple way to solo an aux channel? - e.g. I'm sending sound to a reverb plugin from several channels via a bus and into an aux channel and I want to hear just the reverb.

I can solo the aux channel in the usual way but there are two issues:
1. The channels that send to it are then muted.
2. Even if I get the send channels un-muted (via an elaborate grouping method as per the threads below), I still hear the send channels - I want just the aux channel.

The only successful work-around is to do the bus send pre-fader, but that's either a big restriction or a huge amount of work to change just for solo-ing some reverb if there are multiple channels sending.

Is there any simpler solution? Perhaps the aux channel could be routed somewhere.

Thanks!

Previous topics:
http://motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=51279
http://motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50497
csavetman

Re: Soloing Reverb Effects / Aux Channels

Post by csavetman »

The way I go about doing that is setting up what I call a " dummy buss" Essentially, a bus assignment that doesn't get returned back into the monitoring path.
For example, say bus 21-22. Now temporarily set the outputs to the tracks sending to the reverb to that bus. Leave the reverb return unchanged. Now when you solo the source tracks, you'll hear just the reverb return, since the source tracks are not being returned to an audible bus.

You can quickly set multiple selected tracks to that dummy bus using the output assignment dialog box ( option-A ) I believe.

Hope that helps.
Carlos
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Or…alternatively, you can assign all your tracks to a stereo buss, which in turn outputs to the main master out. Leave the effects outputs assigned DIRECTLY to the master fader, NOT the newly created buss. Now, you can mute this buss, which will leave just the effect return audible.
You can solo just the tracks you want, and as long as the buss feeding the master output is muted, you'll hear just the effect return.

Carlos
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

A solo option for aux tracks would be very nice IMO.
delany

Post by delany »

Thanks! Those seem like workable solutions, certainly worth trying.

I do find it very surprising that a proper Aux solo is not available - I had that feature on my 1/8-inch-tape-based all-in-one 4-track system back in the day!