MIDI Editing can't see the dots

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
liquiddp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Editing can't see the dots

Post by liquiddp »

Dots, stocks whatever they are LOL

Can anybody tell me where the setting is that will change the color, the size or anything of the lines that change a MIDI notes velocity.. Sorry i just have no idea what they are called. its like i need a magnifying glass to look through the hubble telescope just to see these things LOL.

Thanks
K
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI Editing can't see the dots

Post by terrybritton »

Old folks like me have taken to using only the MIDI Event List editor and typing in the numbers by hand! (MUCH easier to see, especially for controllers!) Accessed from the mini-menu at the upper right of the MIDI tab.

You can zoom-in somewhat using the plus symbol at the bottom right also, if that is helpful.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In the MIDI Graphic Editor (which looks like a piano roll), you can affect the size and color of those notes up in the main display-- (I'll get to the velocity handles below).

COLOR: In the TRACK OVERVIEW there is a column with colored rectangles that you can click on to select your preferred color for that track.

SIZE: To adjust the size, switch to the MIDI Graphic Edit window. You need to adjust the small zoom control that is difficult to find. It is located on the left just above the vertical keyboard/note indicator and scroller. That "embiggens" the notes.

Now for the bad news. The velocity handles are just tiny and hard to work with. That's it. I generally will adjust notes by selecting them and editing them in the EVENT INFO pane-- or I'll select notes and use Region commands to adjust velocities. You can filter release velocities which can make sorting things out visually a little better.

This topic has been address on a few other threads. I think the basic issue is that MOTU designed some of these elements when screen resolutions weren't as high. But maybe that doesn't have anything to do with it. Still, older users will complain about how our eyes struggle to focus on some small screen fonts and doodads.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I'm no MIDI guru in DP, and I have to say that I hate the silly little dots (and other mini UI-elements).

However, I haven't had much trouble with this particular workflow. I just use the reshape tool for adjusting MIDI note-on velocity.

Select the notes you want to adjust, switch to the reshape tool (R), draw what you want. Make sure that the reshape mode is set to 'set', and try out the other modes available! Data filters are very useful here as well.

Here, I made a quick tutorial explaining a basic workflow with this.

Very simple and certainly more powerful than fiddling with clicking bars or dots, no matter how big they are.
liquiddp

Post by liquiddp »

Wow glad to see im not the only one. I don't think it has to do with age LOL my daughter was sitting here and i was pointing it out to her and she couldn't see it either and at 21 she has 20/20. None the less i guess this is something that Motu needs to look at especially with the higher resolution monitors that are out. Until then its the ARRRRGGGG key and swipe away..

thanks everybody that replied.. much appreciated..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've done a couple of things. First, I edited the graphic for the velocity points. You can make them larger and a bright colour, making them easy to see. Second, start using the shape tools or the velocity edit window for en masse edits of velocity values, and the list editor, or the information panels in the upper portion of the MIDI Edit window to deal with values of specific notes.

Having done this, it became apparent to me that the graphic display of velocity values is a great way to see what's going on in the MIDI phrase, hence the value of making the graphic more visible, but graphic editing of MIDI in either circumstance, note at a time, or en masse, is not a particularly efficient or musical workflow.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

cdDataCicn@2x.png
cdDataCicn.png
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
frankf

Post by frankf »

One technique I use, and it avoids the velocity dots completely, is to use the Change Velocity edit menu item with macro program Keyboard Maestro. I most frequently am adjusting level (+8,-10, etc.). I select the note/ phrases with the lasso cursor, hit one key and the Change Velocity window opens and the value field is selected, ready for input. Much faster than dragging dots. About 2 seconds. The change Type can be set by including some keystrokes in the macro.

With KM, you can set up menus where your keystroke reveals a list of values which can be selected by single keystroke.

I'm going to guess that you can do this with Quickeys also but I don't use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
reedster

Post by reedster »

Guitar Gaz wrote:cdDataCicn.png
Thanks much for publishing this file's name.

reed
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:One technique I use, and it avoids the velocity dots completely, is to use the Change Velocity edit menu item with macro program Keyboard Maestro. I most frequently am adjusting level (+8,-10, etc.). I select the note/ phrases with the lasso cursor, hit one key and the Change Velocity window opens and the value field is selected, ready for input. Much faster than dragging dots. About 2 seconds. The change Type can be set by including some keystrokes in the macro.

With KM, you can set up menus where your keystroke reveals a list of values which can be selected by single keystroke.

I'm going to guess that you can do this with Quickeys also but I don't use it.
This is my oldest technique, because it predated the Sequence Editor back when DP was just "Performer," before audio. I use QK for it. It gets to be so fast that you don't even see the dialog open.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

I should have known that you were using this years before I mentioned it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:I should have known that you were using this years before I mentioned it :)

Well, my point was just that it's a very good method. I often forget about it and reach for the reshape tool when the dialog method would be a lot faster. It's the first method we had, then the graphic editor, then the sequence editor, but for a large selection or a lot of incremental changes, it's always been the best choice, really. I always keep it in the F keys, along with other "Change" dialogs. If you've already used it and set it to the typical amount you'll be wanting to change, you can hit the F-key and Enter, and it happens before the dialog even gets fully opened. People watching have described it as "windows flying everywhere so fast you can't see them." Of course, they miss the point.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|