NEW AlphaTrack Installer - WORKS WITH SIP ENABLED!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NEW AlphaTrack Installer - WORKS WITH SIP ENABLED!!

Post by James Steele »

Did you install El Cap and then it stopped working? What happens is the kernel extension for AlphaTrack manager is still there, but it just won't load on boot. If you disable SIP and then reboot, your AlphaTrack may come to life again.

The new installer should work but I can't be sure and wouldn't want you to blow 35 bucks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
2020digging

Post by 2020digging »

James Steele wrote: The new installer should work but I can't be sure and wouldn't want you to blow 35 bucks.
Downloaded the installer and you are correct it must only include code that enables Alphatrack to work in El Cap and later with SIP enabled. Considering what SIP supposedly does it is worth the price of the ticket. Alphatrack works perfectly now and the update has brought to life a product that I was thinking of superceding with the Faderport 8. No need to now. Thanks for the post.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Glad it's working for you! :) I love my AlphaTrack. The only problem I have, and this might be specific to DP, is I find I must sometimes unplug the USB cable from it and replug it otherwise it won't work properly.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
2020digging

Post by 2020digging »

James Steele wrote:Glad it's working for you! :) I love my AlphaTrack. The only problem I have, and this might be specific to DP, is I find I must sometimes unplug the USB cable from it and replug it otherwise it won't work properly.
I've noticed it happens with Ableton Live at the moment. I also use Logic and will try this out. The good thing is that it connects after the USB unplug.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I recently did a clean install on my system HD (Sierra). While AlphaTrack was working before, now it does not. Thus far, I have…
• Re-installed the new AT drivers
• Set AT Manager in Native mode
• Selected AT as a control surface in DP with the AT driver, input as AT MIDI ch. 1 and output as AT

When I launch DP, the AT display gives me info for my first track, but none of the controls will function. The amber indicator light is illuminated above the "pan" button and none of the buttons will change it. Local control on the AT is working (can adjust LCD, etc.). Also, the unit shows to be in "read" mode and I can't figure out how to get it into "write". I ran a calibration on it… still nothing.

Any ideas?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable after DP has booted. I sometimes have to do that to get DP to see my AlphaTrack.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote:Try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable after DP has booted. I sometimes have to do that to get DP to see my AlphaTrack.
Thanks, HCM. Did that. Also tried different USB cables. Still no luck.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sorry I don't have time to really deeply look into this right now. When I've had that happen, I've moved a fader, but it seems to just go back to where it was and isn't communicating with DP. I've done the unplug/replug dance, but what helps for me to bring it back to life is, after replugging, immediately click a new track in the TOV (Track OverVew) and see if the track name pops up in the AT display. When it does I'm usually good from then on.

I'm also assuming you tried re-installing the AT driver, etc?

Another thing to try... long shot... but do a Get Info on the DP app itself in the Finder and verify that you've checked "Prevent App Nap".

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

James Steele wrote:When I've had that happen, I've moved a fader, but it seems to just go back to where it was and isn't communicating with DP. I've done the unplug/replug dance, but what helps for me to bring it back to life is, after replugging, immediately click a new track in the TOV (Track OverVew) and see if the track name pops up in the AT display. When it does I'm usually good from then on.
Thanks, James. Mine is behaving just as you described. After re-plugging in DP, AT does update when I select different tracks in the TOV, but the minute I try to select do anything locally on AT, it locks up again and no longer responds to track changes in the TOV.
James Steele wrote:I'm also assuming you tried re-installing the AT driver, etc?
Yes—re-installed drivers from "AlphaTrack Installer Mac OS 10-9 And Later.pkg".
James Steele wrote:Another thing to try... long shot... but do a Get Info on the DP app itself in the Finder and verify that you've checked "Prevent App Nap".
Yup—was already checked.

FWIW, also discovered that enabling automation recording for a track in DP does turn the red "write" LED on AT on and off, but that also stops working after AT "locks up."

Thanks again, James. Could I be missing anything "simple"… like in Control Surface Setup?

EDIT: Methinks it could be time to try trashing preferences.
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know. I'll have to investigate further. I'll try and find his email address and contact the developer and see if he can check in on this topic. The AlphaTrack had been living on borrowed time for years now. I'd hate to think it might be coming to and end.

One other thing you might do is search your disk and include system files on the search for any files with "AlphaTrack" in the name. I think there might be a helper app installed that you may also check its "Prevent App Nap" as well. There's one other thing that I need to check and I'll get back to you on.

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, James. I will try trashing DP prefs as well and see if there might be something corrupted there that is blocking AT from working.
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

UPDATE: The "learn controller" function is also not working.

Tried trashing com.motu.DigitalPerformer.plist and Preferences from within the com.motu.DigitalPerformer folder. No change.

Contacting MOTU.
Rick Cornish

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote:UPDATE: The "learn controller" function is also not working.

Tried trashing com.motu.DigitalPerformer.plist and Preferences from within the com.motu.DigitalPerformer folder. No change.

Contacting MOTU.
If this is only affecting AlphaTrack, I wouldn't think MOTU is going to be too concerned since AT is an abandoned piece of hardware and been kept going with bandaids. I better write the guy who made the new driver and see if he's able/willing to help. Don't know why it's working for me and not for you. :(

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just spitballing here, but do you have the AT connected via a hub. Have you experimented with a direct connection to the Mac?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I've emailed the programmer who wrote that driver/installer and sent him a link to this topic. I hope he will respond. It would be wonderful if he could make some tweaks and help sort this problem as well as some of the nitpicking ones like having to unplug and replug the AT. Also, I believe that some parameters when you turn the rotary knob, even though DP responds, the little bar graphs don't update.

I offered to send him an old AT that I have that has a slightly sticky fader, but would be adequate for testing. I'm not even sure he has one.