NEW AlphaTrack Installer - WORKS WITH SIP ENABLED!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NEW AlphaTrack Installer - WORKS WITH SIP ENABLED!!

Post by FMiguelez »

Quick question about the Alpha Track:

Does it behave like DP's channel strip? I would expect it to control whichever track is selected, so to control any track, simply select it in DP.
Is this correct? If so, I might be interested in one.

Also, which aspects can you control? Volume, pan, sends? What else?
Audio-only, or does it work for MIDI too?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:Quick question about the Alpha Track:

Does it behave like DP's channel strip? I would expect it to control whichever track is selected, so to control any track, simply select it in DP.
Is this correct? If so, I might be interested in one.

Also, which aspects can you control? Volume, pan, sends? What else?
Audio-only, or does it work for MIDI too?

Thanks!
You select a track in the Track Overview or the Sequence Editor and that makes the Alpha Track work on that particular track. There's a lot you can do with it. The usual stuff: volume, pan, solo, send levels, enable automation, etc. Works on audio and MIDI tracks. It also will let you adjust parameters on plug ins. Fairly powerful actually. It's a shame it was discontinued and the user base has had to struggle to keep it working.

I sent an extra AlphaTrack I had (it had a somewhat sticky fader) to the developer who had updated the drivers and DP Control Surface bundle so he could have a unit to test with. I haven't heard too much back from him. When I sent it to him he was in the midst of moving or something. I'll try to follow up, because I suspect without him updating the driver further, it's probably not going to work with High Sierra. Keep in mind, I've been able to get it working with Sierra, but others have not been able to for some reason. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for the info, James.

It sounds like something I would've wanted... I didn't know it was discontinued. Too bad... This could have been a great addition to my Novation controllers because they lack precisely that basic functionality of working on whatever track is selectd in DP. Working with banks of 8 channels at a time is a non-starter with even a moderately big template, let alone a huge one.

I'm actually surprised it went the way of the Dodo, since it seemed like a very good and affordable product... :(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:I'm actually surprised it went the way of the Dodo, since it seemed like a very good and affordable product... :(
Well, it's not actually extinct yet. Frontier Designs stopped supporting it and they don't manufacture them anymore, but with the newer driver and DP control surface bundle, many people including myself, are still using it all the way up to macOS 10.12.6. As for High Sierra, not sure, but that might be a "no-go." There are plenty of used units on eBay.

There is a developer who keeps the software for it somewhat updated and as I said, I sent him an extra unit I had for testing, and I'm hopeful that he'll revive make sure it's working for High Sierra.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
akr
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by akr »

James Steele wrote:Just need to post an update for anyone who might be experiencing AlphaTrack becoming unresponsive with the latest installer from New England Digital. What was happening for me was during a project, if I'd click a new track, AlphaTrack wouldn't update the track name and it would seem to cease functioning unless I unpugged and re-plugged the USB cable connected to it. This seemed to kick in if the AlphaTrack "sat" for a while and wasn't used.

That got me to thinking... and I may have solved it... seems to be working so far.

Here's what to do:
  • Go to ~/Library/Application Support/AlphaTrack Assistants/
  • You'll see two files called "AlphaTrack Launcher" and "AlphaTrack Menu"
  • Do "Get Info" on those files and check "Prevent App Nap".
That seems to have solved it for me. Hope this helps someone. :)
Hi everybody
I can't enable prevent app nap in my Library "AlphaTrack Launcher" and "AlphaTrack Menu"
this option is not in the list available
i'm runnin lion vith drivers 10.6/10.8

why I have to cry?
Is christhmas
DP10 macPro 3.1 (2008), 2x 8coreXntel Xeon 5400, RAM 32 Gb, UAD 2, Waves 9 Diamond, Izotope Nectar3 & Neutron2
2x 24IO, RMEff800
Soundcraft 8000 36 ch
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

akr wrote:Hi everybody
I can't enable prevent app nap in my Library "AlphaTrack Launcher" and "AlphaTrack Menu"
this option is not in the list available
i'm runnin lion vith drivers 10.6/10.8
App Nap is not an option within your OS. I think it started with El Cap or Mavericks. So no worries.
akr

Post by akr »

thanx HCMarkus
I boot also in el capitain, same old story even whit app napp disabled.

all working exept the fader, the most important thing, if i split my dp fader on a rotary knob it works
I wrote to synclavier, where I purchased the drivers, and they tell me to clean physically the fader.
I did, but nothing..... even worst because now the fader "freeze" when it moves (at his own desire)

In hui mode and mcu mode the fader works proprely but hui and mci sucks IMHO

:banghead: :banghead: :| :|

what I can do?
DP10 macPro 3.1 (2008), 2x 8coreXntel Xeon 5400, RAM 32 Gb, UAD 2, Waves 9 Diamond, Izotope Nectar3 & Neutron2
2x 24IO, RMEff800
Soundcraft 8000 36 ch
akr

Post by akr »

may be clean the preferences, but where?
2x 24IO, RMEff800
Soundcraft 8000 36 ch
reddognoyz

Post by reddognoyz »

I just updated to 10.3.4 from 10.2xx and My alpha track isn't responding. Does anyone know if it's working in 10.3??
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well it was iffy in Sierra. When you went to High Sierra I'm not surprised it isn't working. I'll try to reach out to the developer again.

reddognoyz

Post by reddognoyz »

I restarted my Mac and replugged in the alphatrack and boom, it’s working again. Go figure
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

reddognoyz wrote:I restarted my Mac and replugged in the alphatrack and boom, it’s working again. Go figure
Glad you got it working. I've found that sometimes when it doesn't work for me I have to unplug and re-plug the Alpha Track and it will work again. Sometimes I have do this more than once. Or I have to quit and relaunch DP. I really wish I could come up with a set of steps that would make the Alpha Track work every time, but so far no luck. :(

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

reddognoyz wrote:I restarted my Mac and replugged in the alphatrack and boom, it’s working again. Go figure
This is a very preliminary thought: but I was having issues with DP wanting me to reassign IAC Driver every time I opened a project. Turns out I had to add a port in the IAC Driver in the Audio MIDI Setup. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64853

So far, after doing so, I noticed I haven't had to do the unplug-replug dance. Although it's way too early to tell if this will hold, but might be worth trying for anybody that hasn't done this.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

James Steele wrote:
This is a very preliminary thought: but I was having issues with DP wanting me to reassign IAC Driver every time I opened a project. Turns out I had to add a port in the IAC Driver in the Audio MIDI Setup. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64853

So far, after doing so, I noticed I haven't had to do the unplug-replug dance. Although it's way too early to tell if this will hold, but might be worth trying for anybody that hasn't done this.
Well, ignore what I said. I just did a relaunch of DP and AlphaTrack would not respond. I had to unplug and replug to get it working again. Oh well... I had hoped! :)

TheoKontonis

Post by TheoKontonis »

vaikl wrote:Had just found this wonderful thread, reanimated my little Tranzport (gathering dust in the corner) and tried the new driver - bingo, works like a charm in native mode with Live, with Cubase Mackie Control and in iTunes - all under macOS Sierra (10.12.1) on a MacMini (late 2012)!!!

Thanks folks!

Hello vaikl!

Can you confirm this please?

I am interested in TranzPort and I want to use it under Mackie Control on Cubase Pro 9.5 on OX S High Sierra with the Synclavier drivers!
iMac 21.5 (Mid 2011), Motu 828mk3 FW, Yamaha HS-50M, Novation Remote 49 SL Compact, Waldorf Blofeld, Cubase Pro 8.5.5, Ableton Live 9.7, Various Plug-Ins.