UAD Plugs not saving settings after quit

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UAD Plugs not saving settings after quit

Post by Kellog »

Hey all I'm looking for any advice of where to look to solve my UAD plug in settings not being saved after quitting a project. The plug is there in the mixer channel but it is reset to default. I just updated to the newest Apollo/UAD software and no improvement. Hoping someone may have an idea what to try next? Thanks, Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
waxman

Re: UAD Plugs not saving settings after quit

Post by waxman »

save your settings to a preset.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Thanks I'll try that when I get home. But the settings that aren't saving are presets. Thanks!

Looks like I should post this elsewhere. Not sure how to move this post. May have to delete it and repost.

Sorry for my wrong placement.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
RROY

Post by RROY »

This has been an ongoing problem with UAD plug ins and DP. UAD blames Motu, and Motu blames UAD and it never gets fixed. Save as a Motu preset is the work around.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

So I've tried saving some presets and still the plug in resets to default upon reopening the project. How do you save a plug in setting as a MOTU preset specifically?
RROY

Post by RROY »

Save it in the slot at the top of the mixer above the plugin slots. Click in that slot, it allows you to save settings there. It can be a single plugin or a group of plugins.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
waxman

Post by waxman »

RROY wrote:Save it in the slot at the top of the mixer above the plugin slots. Click in that slot, it allows you to save settings there. It can be a single plugin or a group of plugins.
Exactly... it's good to get in the habit of thinking of each channel strip as a preset. I use the batch commander with a Raven to call up my channel strips. Having 3 or four insert slots it the norm. On a guitar I will often have a slate trim in slot 1 then a UAD or slate Tape emulator in slot 2, Slate VTM in 3, then in 4 a UAD compressor. If need be another tape emulator or trim if needed.

That is a lot of plugs to add every but having a simple name like "gtr channel 1" it becomes a preset that will load in seconds and the batch commander can be programmed to find that preset. It's the same with vocal chains and drum chains. FX channels also. Slate Plugs have issues in DP like being in bypass at start up. But the saving it to the top slot called "Insert Settings" fixes it and makes it easier for the next time.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This is certainly strange. I have a UAD-2 Duo and this never happens to me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

So I spoke to a Tech at MOTU. After setting his UAD plugs (with an Apollo, similar to me) to AU which I use (instead of VST) he was able to reproduce my situation. He said that would appear to be a bug.

One thing I didn't notice previously was that the settings of my presets were still in place, only the name of the preset has been switching to 'default'. So the above mentioned workaround of saving the plug as an insert setting at the top of the track inserts column (and properly naming the preset there for future clarity) will work to avoid forgetting which preset was there.
Thanks for that info RRoy and Waxman.
The motu tech (Travis) said he will inform whoever and try to get it attended to.
Thanks again all for the help (and I'll try to post problems in the right topic area next time)
Kelly
waxman

Post by waxman »

Your welcome... yay
waxman
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I don't know if this helps but a while back tech support @ UAD told me their plugs work better as VSTs rather than the AU format.
Maybe switching the UAD plugs to VST might solve the issue. ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Thanks fir that suggestion. I may explore the VST option. Not sure if I installed them, or if I'd need some kind of vst wrapper or something? Haven't used vst in years.
RROY

Post by RROY »

Yes, for some reason VST presets will "stick". But any presets you make as AU will not be available once you switch to VST. Obviously.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Whenever I install plugins other than UAD, I install both VST & AU,it takes minimal space and if there's an issue with either format I can easily switch but since UA went 64 my default format has been VST.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

So will the VSTs just work or do I need a wrapper or translator or some such?