Virtual Instrument Wonkiness With MIDI Tracks(Solved)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Luke
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Virtual Instrument Wonkiness With MIDI Tracks(Solved)

Post by Luke »

I have several virtual instruments that change the preset I've chosen every time I hit stop and return back to the beginning of the song when working with MIDI. For instance, let's say I have Arturia's Minimoog assigned to a specific MIDI track and I have selected "preset x." Upon starting playback again it changes on it's own to "preset z."

Anyone know how to stop this from happening? And please forgive my ignorance as I am just a "pup" with all this and this may be "MIDI 101." :oops:

And I suspect I may get my first :rtfm:
Last edited by Luke on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
*14 inch M1 Macbook Pro - 16GB Ram - OS 14.1 (Sonoma)- Motu M4 - Motu DP 11.23, Other bells and whistles*
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Virtual Instrument Wonkiness With MIDI Tracks

Post by terrybritton »

Luke wrote:And please forgive my ignorance as I am just a "pup" with all this and this may be "MIDI 101." :oops:
Actually, that is a MIDI 102 question. I'll go get the MIDI 102 person - I'm the MIDI 101 guy. :roll:

There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

I'll pull up my copy of that plugin and see. First, are you getting the correct preset number position-wise but in the wrong bank?

Second, have you set the preset at the top by renaming it? That sometimes helps. But that might be a perfect example of a stupid answer, so I'd wait for the MIDI 102 person.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
buzzsmith

Virtual Instrument Wonkiness With MIDI Tracks

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm not the "MIDI 102" guy but I'll jump in.

By any chance, do you have a "Default Patch" showing on the Minimoog MIDI track? It could be the actual name of the patch or something like "Patch 008". If so, then whenever you hit Play the default patch is sent to the instrument.

You can clear the Default Patch or replace it with the patch that you actually want.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The only time you would want or need a default patch or any patch change at all is if you plan to change the patch at some point during the chunk (sequence).

As Buzzsmith mentioned, clearing the PATCH and DEFAULT PATCH is important. Here's the trick though. Once something is selected, can't get rid of it directly. It's a MOTU oversight. The only way I've found to clear the default patch is to momentarily change the output assignment, then change it right back. That should clear it.

The next thing to look at is whether your track actually has a program change in it. You can select the track in question, and type SHIFT-E (to open the event list), scroll through and see if there are any patch change messages in there and delete them. A view filter might be "hiding" the program change messages-- so you can go to the SETUP MENU/VIEW FILTER... and make sure that box is ticked.

Finally, you can look at whether something in your controller or COMMANDS is transmitting a program/patch change when you do something on your controller. I won't go into details about that right now, but you can try the above things first to see if any of those sort it.

Let us know how it goes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Luke

Post by Luke »

Thank you gentlemen. I am going to try your suggestions later tonight and will report back what I find. Could be pretty late though. I am a Night Owl.
*14 inch M1 Macbook Pro - 16GB Ram - OS 14.1 (Sonoma)- Motu M4 - Motu DP 11.23, Other bells and whistles*
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

stubbsonic wrote: The next thing to look at is whether your track actually has a program change in it.
This. I've found Public Domain and Internet MIDI files rife with extraneous patch changes that usually need to be scrubbed before the file is usable. Check this out:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62462
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote:The only way I've found to clear the default patch is to momentarily change the output assignment, then change it right back. That should clear it.
There is a "Clear Default Patch" command in the Tracks Overview Mini Menu. Works on the selected MIDI Track
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ah! Thanks! I always was looking for "none" in the list which would be more intuitive, IMHO.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Tonio

Post by Tonio »

yup, I always forget that menu too :D
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Luke

Post by Luke »

Just a check in as I feel I've been somewhat remiss after receiving everyone's suggestions. I haven't got an opportunity to try anything out yet and that's why I haven't reported back. As soon as I do, I will let everyone know what transpired. You took the time to offer assistance and I will do the same. Until then, thank you again.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If the default patch isn't the issue that check your event list for a patch change. Also, there a preference somewhere (I'm away from the studio but will check later) where you can check "send patch changes" or something like that.

Whatever you do DO NOT :rtfmmad: but do open it and search for patch change and you should find an answer or two.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Luke

Post by Luke »

Mystery solved thanks to the great folks here! The fix was going to the "Event List" and sure enough in the very beginning is a ton of convolution. And on the 8th line of 1/1/1000 (forgive my ignorance if that's not how you say it :oops: ) was a line that read "Patch 28." So I counted the actual Patch I wanted (67) and replaced 28 with 67. Problem go away :dance:

Thanks again gentleman and sorry for taking so long to let you know what transpired. Been juggling kittens (thank you Steve Martin!) lately and just got a chance to investigate.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Virtual Instrument Wonkiness With MIDI Tracks(Solved)

Post by terrybritton »

Good to hear! These little things could make one's hair turn gray, eh?

(I have different excuses - my grey (UK version) hairs pre-date my involvement with DP...) ;)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Re: Virtual Instrument Wonkiness With MIDI Tracks(Solved)

Post by stubbsonic »

The only time I ever use Patch Change messages these days is when I'm controlling my external K2500R. Seems like the DAW is more than capable of storing all the VI settings and presets without my having to bother with PCs.