How to make selection duration display real time?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to make selection duration display real time?

Post by Killahurts »

I'm doing some edits on some material that have to be exact times (1:00, 30s, 8s, etc.) The Selection Information window, which also has its items displayed in the top info bar in the Tracks Overview, only lets me see measures for the start and end points, and oddly, I only can get the duration to display in beats. Like if I select measures 1-4 (in 4/4), I get 16l000 for the duration. I can't seem to find where I can change the information to display time, instead of measures.

My goal is to be able to make a selection that is exactly xx seconds length, by viewing the duration in the info bar as seconds/frames.

Thanks! :unicorn:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: How to make selection duration display real time?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

SETUP menu>TIME FORMATS

When done, from the dropdown menu select "Copy current time format to project."
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Fantastic, it works perfectly!

Thanks so much, I wouldn't have found that on my own very quickly.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I would love to be able to have two rows of Selection information, i.e. to be able to see the info (start, end, duration) in both measures, and real time, at the same time.

Only one of those could be sensibly represented by the grid at a time, so maybe you can choose which one is the "master".
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Killahurts wrote:I would love to be able to have two rows of Selection information, i.e. to be able to see the info (start, end, duration) in both measures, and real time, at the same time.

Only one of those could be sensibly represented by the grid at a time, so maybe you can choose which one is the "master".
If you mean you would like to see two rulers with different readouts, that is possible. Right-click on the existing ruler and select "Open Time Formats". (CTRL-ALT-T on Windows)

At the bottom of the small window that appears is a "Details" button that opens up the window to a larger one. (If you already see a larger one, ignore that step.)

About mid-way down you will see some check boxes for "Aux Rulers" where you can select a second, third and/or fourth row of your liking to accompany your "master" ruler.

There are tons of other options in there as well - have fun!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Wow Terry, thanks! There is a whole world in there after you reveal the Details! Been using DP for decades, never knew it was there..
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Killahurts wrote:Wow Terry, thanks! There is a whole world in there after you reveal the Details! Been using DP for decades, never knew it was there..
DP will get you like that! :wink:

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Killahurts wrote:Wow Terry, thanks! There is a whole world in there after you reveal the Details! Been using DP for decades, never knew it was there..
Word-for-word ditto!

I have a related question- is there a way to save the settings for the main time rulers per project? I constantly am going back and forth between my day job editing (real time) and my music projects (measures). I've never figured out a way to save that with the project itself rather than global. I see now from the window we're discussing I can have both at once (never knew that either) but it's way too visually confusing and cluttered to have both visible all the time.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

philbrown wrote:
Word-for-word ditto!

I have a related question- is there a way to save the settings for the main time rulers per project? I constantly am going back and forth between my day job editing (real time) and my music projects (measures). I've never figured out a way to save that with the project itself rather than global. I see now from the window we're discussing I can have both at once (never knew that either) but it's way too visually confusing and cluttered to have both visible all the time.
Yes, just above the Details button is a radio button that says "Project". That will confine your customization to that project.

You also can save presets in the "Custom" dialog above that. You can duplicate, edit and rename your presets, which will reflect your settings in the Details section at the time of adding them. Select "Edit Time Formats" from the Custom dropdown menu to access that other window.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

terrybritton wrote:
philbrown wrote:
Word-for-word ditto!

Yes, just above the Details button is a radio button that says "Project". That will confine your customization to that project.

You also can save presets in the "Custom" dialog above that. You can duplicate, edit and rename your presets, which will reflect your settings in the Details section at the time of adding them. The edit dialog within that window brings up the place to do the renaming and such.

Terry
Wonderful! Thanks for the great info in this thread.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I just edited that previous post for more clarity than the version you quoted! :)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid