Mac Pro 12 Core and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
AllanKane
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Pro 12 Core and DP

Post by AllanKane »

I just purchased a 3.03 GHZ 2012 12 Core Mac Pro. For some reason, I am not getting the performance I thought I could get.

For example, the audio performance meter peaks out into red (DP 9.1) when playing a chord(tutti orchestra chord) with 15 separate instruments. Could be my setup, but was wondering if others are getting better performance and why.
bayswater

Re: Mac Pro 12 Core and DP

Post by bayswater »

Have Activity Monitor running when you are running DP. See if it shows you the same thing. You can look at CPU load, disk activity and see what resources DP is actually using. The performance meter inside DP can be pretty misleading, and if there is a problem it doesn't help resolve it.

If you're not seeing any issues in Activity Monitor, just ignore it, and turn it off if it's distracting.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

What buffer setting?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

What they said. The feedback that DP's own monitor gives isn't always relevant on a highly parallel architecture machine. Ignore the redlining: If you don't hear a problem, there isn't one.