Wiper Return to playback starting position other than Auto R

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wiper Return to playback starting position other than Auto R

Post by rockman413 »

Hi!
Is there a way we can have wiper return to playback starting position (instead of where it stops), other than using auto rewind or any other functions in memory section? Cause all the function in memory section seems to require me to Select and Set to memory a starting position, which is less efficient than just place the wiper, have it start playing and it just return to the starting position.
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
dpdan

Re: Wiper Return to playback starting position other than Au

Post by dpdan »

I am a little confused with why you don't want to use Auto Return.

I use one of my trackball buttons to trigger the F1 function key. This places the little "thingy" that will cause DP's wiper to go to that spot when you hit stop.
Hitting the F1 key while DP is playing moves the "Auto-Rewind" point to a new location,,,, wherever the wiper is when you hit F1.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sounds like you want it to work like Logic does, where the cursor goes back to wherever it started before playback started, rather than a specific spot. DP workflow isn't like Logic's and that's one of the differences.

But, by combining the many key commands that control time ranges, markers, cursor positions, etc, you can very specific in how playback is controlled and design a setup that works.

I've set up simple keyboard shortcuts to move the start and stop positions back and forth, together or individually, change the stop behaviour, move the cursor back and forth by a bar or a market, and to turn cycling on and off quickly (using a series of F keys). With those in place, I can easily change the start and stop positions to focus on a time range, move the playback positions, and change what happens on play and stop.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:Hi!
Is there a way we can have wiper return to playback starting position (instead of where it stops), other than using auto rewind or any other functions in memory section? Cause all the function in memory section seems to require me to Select and Set to memory a starting position, which is less efficient than just place the wiper, have it start playing and it just return to the starting position.
There are so many possibilities it is hard to post them. I once did a video describing all the things you can do with this, but it turned into a 25 minutes explanation on video. I cut it down to one feature and 1.5 minutes, and posted that, but it wasn't very complete. I just haven't gotten my motivation to post individual vids on all those possibilities yet. Now that people are getting more accustomed to watching longer YouTube videos, maybe I'll revisit that old 25 minute thing and see if it merits posting, but not today.

I suggest you spend some time in the Commands Window. I print it out and study possible workflows with it, including how to alter the key-bindings so that my keyboard shortcuts make more sense. The things I do would probably surprise you, but they're very tailored to my own ways of working. If you experiment with how it works, you'll come away with a lot of ideas. If I just tell you some of my ways, you'll say "can you do it without work-arounds?" For many things there is no "standard way" in DP. Anything you do is custom, because it was designed to be flexible for people's varieties of needs.

The problem with having the cursor just snap back to its starting point is that a lot of people do not want it to do that. If it just does that, you've disenfranchised those people, who are probably the majority of users, at some point in time for each.

I set mine up to do that for certain kinds of editing. It takes me two keystrokes, which I perform in one move of the hands, and then it does it more-or-less automatically. I had to assign those keys in the Commands Window.

During the course of my work sessions, I typically use Memory Rewind, Auto Stop, Link Selection to Playback, Link Selection to Rewind, Loop Repeat, and none of the above, all in various combinations at various times, depending on what I'm doing. I've set my commands up so that doing any of them is as simple as an initial keystroke or two, and switching to another is just as easy. Using a DAW is like playing an instrument. You practice until you're fluent in it, and then you can work quickly and creatively without delays.

Study the commands window.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That was my post in another thread by this o/p. It's a resource. Be resourceful. :D
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waxman

Post by waxman »

I use the Raven and the qwerty keyboard for machine control. By using a full size keyboard and putting the start and stop keys on F13 & F14 so all the machine control is on the same side of the keyboard works well for me. Machine control is on many MIDI controllers. There are iPad and iphone apps for mm control. Being limited with always having the wiper go back to previous start would be a negative. When tuning vocals or fixing MIDI it's great to have the wiper rewind but mixing and most other playback I want it to move on after from where it stops.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.