Drawing continuous data on multiple tracks at once

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ironchef_marc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drawing continuous data on multiple tracks at once

Post by ironchef_marc »

I've been hoping for the ability to draw continuous data on multiple tracks at once. Wondering perhaps if I missed out on that in recent updates.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
buzzsmith

Re: Drawing continuous data on multiple tracks at once

Post by buzzsmith »

Not in front of my Mac (shutdown for the evening), but I believe that you can highlight continuous data in the SE and move just that to a neighboring track in the Tracks overview.

There are probably other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Not exactly what I was hoping for but it`s a work around.
thanks for sharing!
buzzsmith wrote:Not in front of my Mac (shutdown for the evening), but I believe that you can highlight continuous data in the SE and move just that to a neighboring track in the Tracks overview.

There are probably other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

You're welcome. Shooshie is really into the Search function. That might work even better.

Search the track for just the controllers and I believe that you can then copy and paste. I'm not well versed with this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

When you say drawing continuous data in multiple tracks at once, I'm not sure what you mean. I guess the only thing you COULD mean is applying the same curve to data in several tracks. There are ways of doing it, but they mainly involve drawing a curve (or series of curves), then copy/merging that to each track.

The other possibility is putting that data in a track by itself, and assigning it to several MIDI channels by means of a MIDI Device Group.

Now, for the normal copy/merging, the task got easier in the Sequence Editor recently when they added lanes. You can now easily select continuous data in the Sequence Editor by merely opening its continuous data lane and doing what you like with it, then copy/merging to other tracks.

An easier way of copy/merging would be to use the View Filter to turn off all but continuous data, then use the Tracks Overview Window to Option-Drag that data from track to track. Fast, clean, and it merges by default.

Audio continuous data drags similarly to MIDI, of course. It's just a different kind of data.

If I'm misunderstanding something, do tell!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Some interesting techniques I never thought about there, I'll have to try them out.

Essentially I want to finesse CC#1 and/or CC#7, CC#11 for entrance or ends of strings sections and other orchestral sections. Merging isn't great since if there is already data there I have to first delete it and it's an extra step.

In fact, the best solution I can think of would be for MOTU to add the "Smooth" function as found in the Change Velocity) to the Change Continuous Data function.
--
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you don't want to merge, you'll have to delete selected controllers before dragging new ones in, because if you paste it in, it will delete ALL MIDI data for that selection.

My preferred method is to use the Reshape Tool. You can do it freehand, or with a spline or parabolic shape. For me, this works about as fast as replacing with a pre-copied line.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Greg Magee

Post by Greg Magee »

I imagine someone else has contributed this answer somewhere already by now, but here's mine for what it's worth.

In a nutshell, use the temporary group command to apply the same actions to whatever number of tracks are in view.

For example, say you have 3 MIDI tracks triggering 3 Violin patches on different channels (VlnA, VlnB, VlnB).

1. Select all three tracks in the TO (Tracks Overview Page).
2. Hold down Ctrl-Command-E to open those three in the SE (Sequence Editor)
3. Hold down W and click in the insert dropdown of the top VlnA track header and drag down to Modulation (for arguments sake)
4. Your pointer should change to a pencil. Hold down W and click-hold while you draw your curve.
5. When you let go of the mouse button you'll see all three tracks have the same curve.

You may need to reshape each of these curves afterwards individually, but that's the gist of it.

Hope this helps

Greg

PS. First post on this forum, long time lurker
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I had to move volume data into another track ( I was working on the wrong track :mrgreen: )
and used the view filter and copy / paste.
But here in DP 7.24, multiple paste doesn't work, I have to copy first for every paste…
Is this different in newer versions of DP ?

Best regards to everybody :D

Klaus