question to Shooshie's video

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

question to Shooshie's video

Post by rockman413 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNSsG5gcKRw

This is a Shooshie's video.

At 1:46 he just open 5 VI instance with one click or one shortcut. Is there a way we can setup a shortcut or one click to open all virtual instruments. Is there another key to close all the virtual instruments windows?

P.S. It's a great to use mission ctronl/ space, but when I save it and re-open it I lost my saving of placing different windows in different but they are all stacked together in one space...
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: question to Shooshie's video

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm guessing it was a quickeys shortcut. Keyboard Maestro could probably also do that when it decides it wants to work...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Hi, I've been out of town, out of touch, and out of pocket for a while. Pardon my absence. The spot you mention in the video is simply the moment that those interfaces open while loading a sequence in which they were saved the last time they were open. DP will reload the windows you had open when it was last saved.

The reason they all seem to open at once was because I edited out the long openings of windows to save time in the video. If it looks like my Mac loads DP files faster than yours, it's because I simply cut out those parts of the video. No need to make you wait on those things. However, it would have been cool in a sadistic, mendacious way to make everyone think their machine is inferior. But I have enough trouble sleeping, so... there's the even cooler truth: I saved you some time!

It's true that you have to place the windows in their spaces/desktops when you open a new file, but when changing chunks in the same file, many of them stay put, and some update to the new chunk. (All windows in the Consolidated Windows update, and the Mixing Board updates to the new chunk.)

The act of dealing the windows to their respective spaces (I use the card dealer metaphor, because it reminds me of dealing cards) simply does not take long. About a second per window. I wouldn't imagine that most people would have more than 10 to 15 windows open (14 in the example in the video), so... compare 15 seconds in the beginning to the many minutes you'll waste opening, scrolling, resizing, and placing windows the "old" way, and I think you'll see as I do that the tradeoff is way more than worth it. Everything stays where you left it.

One thing some people do not realize is that if you use the Mission Control method of dealing out the windows, as opposed to dragging them across spaces, they naturally go to the last position they occupied when you saved. You have to drag them to the desktop you want, but you do not have to reposition them once they're in the desktop. They remember their position and size.

To each his own. I find it incredibly useful, but I've been using this for about 9 or 10 years, whenever Apple first introduced Spaces. Prior to that, I had dozens of Window Sets saved within DP. Still do; but I haven't used them since I started using Spaces. I just prefer leaving windows in the same place all the time and going to them rather than bringing them to me and having to adjust them, scroll, and all that. And I certainly prefer that the Mixing Board always be predictably as I left it with no surprises. I also like leaving my plugins and VI interfaces open, but not in the same monitor with my other windows. I may share a desktop between Mixing Board and some plugins if it's a small project without many mixer channels.

That's the story...
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Now if we could only edit reality the way we edit video our lives would be perfect! :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Now if we could only edit reality the way we edit video our lives would be perfect! :rofl:
Don't worry; that's actually a geriatric feature. With parents and in-laws in their 80s and 90s, and a grandmother pushing 105, I'm seeing just how powerful a feature that really is. Scary powerful. No fact is immune from the GeReality Editor.

How do you know when you get the upgrade? You never do. It's so seamless that you'll just wake up one morning fully able to use it. But those around you will know. They'll be shocked at first, maybe even think you've taken up mendacity as your new hobby. But soon they'll realize it's just the GeReality Editor, and that you've become a pro at deleting entire scenes or altering their outcomes, replacing characters, or just rewriting the entire script. Feeling creative? The GeReality Editor allows you to write entirely new scenes from scratch, set in any era you choose (even before you were born!)

Yes, the GeReality Editor is the original non-linear sequencer/editor, pre-dating Digital Performer by millions of years! ["Oh, you won't have any trouble with that giant saber-toothed tiger. I used to wrestle a dozen of those every full moon! Just tickle her belly and she'll roll right over!" ] Isn't it fun to know you have the greatest of all sequencer/editors to look forward to?

:smash:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

My dear Mom has one of those installed - an advanced model of the GeReality Editor.

I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

terrybritton wrote:My dear Mom has one of those installed - an advanced model of the GeReality Editor.

I'm thinking of getting one for myself.

Terry
Oh, they seem quite fun. At least for the user. Not so much the listeners. :arrrr: