How do you guys handle your Master track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do you guys handle your Master track?

Post by waxman »

Robert Randolph wrote:
waxman wrote:The Raven forced me to have the Master Fader and sum faders far left. I sum 16 sends to a Neve 8816 outboard summing mixer that is fed by auxes. Usually 5 stereo and 6 mono...
Why do you need to have your master/sum faders on the left when using Raven?
To clarify any Raven fader can go anywhere because it just follows the order in DP Tracks window. But the Raven shows only 24 faders at a time. It's easy to bank 24 or 1 channel by swiping or Command button. But once a channel is tuned in I rarely adjust it.

However masters and aux sums are always being adjusted. I prefer keeping them in a static "home position." If they they are on the right they keep getting pushed down the line which can and often are divided from one another by 2 screens.

Another reason is if I track 10 guitars those all have DI's. Once tracked the DI tracks go in a folder and go to the bottom of the Tracks Window and I hide them. So that is far right in the Raven mixer which unfortunately you can't hide anything. Once tracked and committed to audio I may not touch the DI's until mixing if ever again. I end up with an XTRA folder which can have 50 to 100 tracks of Keys, MIDI, VI's, DI's, Vocal takes, single BG vox's (not comped) etc.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

waxman wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
waxman wrote:The Raven forced me to have the Master Fader and sum faders far left. I sum 16 sends to a Neve 8816 outboard summing mixer that is fed by auxes. Usually 5 stereo and 6 mono...
Why do you need to have your master/sum faders on the left when using Raven?
To clarify any Raven fader can go anywhere because it just follows the order in DP Tracks window. But the Raven shows only 24 faders at a time. It's easy to bank 24 or 1 channel by swiping or Command button. But once a channel is tuned in I rarely adjust it.

However masters and aux sums are always being adjusted. I prefer keeping them in a static "home position." If they they are on the right they keep getting pushed down the line which can and often are divided from one another by 2 screens.

Another reason is if I track 10 guitars those all have DI's. Once tracked the DI tracks go in a folder and go to the bottom of the Tracks Window and I hide them. So that is far right in the Raven mixer which unfortunately you can't hide anything. Once tracked and committed to audio I may not touch the DI's until mixing if ever again. I end up with an XTRA folder which can have 50 to 100 tracks of Keys, MIDI, VI's, DI's, Vocal takes, single BG vox's (not comped) etc.
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

That appears to apply to my non-raven situation as well. It definitely seems like having the master and other 'wide busses' on the top (and left) is a superior workflow in DP.

Thanks.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Grouping tracks into folders is beneficial. Since the mixer is virtual and dynamic I end up with 10 to 12 channel strips after the master and Aux's. The track folders make it easy to drag groups to channels 13-24 of the bank and view on one mixer bank.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I think others have already said it, but I usually put my "core bundle" in a folder. Those are the tracks that all other tracks report to, including the master and certain stems. I've experimented with putting all of them in a V-Rack which makes it a breeze to open in any sequence, but the inability to use automation sometimes makes that less desirable. Instead, I now keep it in a clippings file for easy importation when setting up files from scratch.

I've experimented with various ways of setting up my files. Sometimes I keep the master track in the middle, along with the conductor track, submaster, and, well... my above mentioned "core bundle." Then I may put MIDI tracks above those and audio below, each in their own folder. When I finish the MIDI portion of a project, and all tracks are permanently recorded to audio, I'll disable all MIDI tracks and close their folder. Still there if I need to go back badly enough to re-enable some tracks, but out of the way, otherwise.

When adding a new track, it will appear directly below the track currently selected. If my tracks get out of order, I use the keyboard commands to put them where I want them. Those are in the Tips Sheet (do a "Find" on "Move Tracks"), but here they are for convenience:
  • Move track(s) up or down: Select a tracks or multiple tracks. Hold down the CONTROL key and press "Page Up" or "Page Down" to move your selection up or down by one line in a list. If there are gaps between the selected tracks, the selection moves up or down WITH the gaps "preserved" in place.
  • Move selected track(s) to top/bottom of list or folder. Hold down the CONTROL key and press "home" or "end". If there are gaps between selected tracks, the gaps are preserved.
  • Move selected tracks to be together: After selecting non-contiguous tracks you want to bring together, press OPTION-CONTROL HOME. The tracks will become contiguous in the list, beneath the top-most track of the selection. (Gaps in selection are eliminated)
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

deleted
Last edited by bayswater on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yes, I meant V-Rack. Changing original. Thanks.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|