How do you guys handle your Master track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How do you guys handle your Master track?

Post by Robert Randolph »

I was redoing my basic template today to optimize it some more. No matter what I do, it's never going to be 'complete' as I'm always having to add more tracks, remove unused elements and re-arrange things for different situations.

That got me to thinking: One of my biggest annoyances is that in DP, I can't figure out how to make the Master track/channel stick. It invariably ends up shuffled in to the project through oversight and user-error. It inadvertently gets selected and moved, or tracks get added below it. (largely because I use it frequently during tracking to soft-mute the mix, check things etc..)

A number of other DAWs make the master channel(s) sticky, so it's always at a user-defined position or always in a defined place.

So I'm wondering if there's any way to get DP to behave similarly. Can the master channel be made invulnerable to my clumsy hands?
bayswater

Re: How do you guys handle your Master track?

Post by bayswater »

Happens to me too. I just move it again. Perhaps the reason you can't make the master track sticky is that you can have multiple master tracks, and their left to right position determines their priority. That sound nuts at first, but there is a purpose that is explained reasonable well in the manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The other DAWs don't allow multiple sequences so there's no comparison there in terms of how "the track" is managed in "the project."

I'm not understanding the issue. I usually place the chunks' MT at the top or end of the tracks, depending on the track count and how often I need to access the track.

Are your MTs moving on their own, or are you adding tracks and not taking care where that insertion takes place?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:The other DAWs don't allow multiple sequences so there's no comparison there in terms of how "the track" is managed in "the project."

I'm not understanding the issue. I usually place the chunks' MT at the top or end of the tracks, depending on the track count and how often I need to access the track.

Are your MTs moving on their own, or are you adding tracks and not taking care where that insertion takes place?
The MT is getting moved around by being selected when doing various operations (moving tracks, adding tracks).

Despite doing my best to NOT do that, it still happens frequently enough to be annoying.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Robert Randolph wrote: The MT is getting moved around by being selected when doing various operations (moving tracks, adding tracks).

Despite doing my best to NOT do that, it still happens frequently enough to be annoying.
I recommend you purchase a small, foot-long, wooden or plastic ruler, and slap your hand hard with that (your mouse hand, preferably) every time you do this thing you do. Eventually, you will stop.

This method has purportedly worked for piano teachers since the keyboard was invented. It may work in this case as well. Please keep us informed of your results.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

i set my template up like a typical mixing board, with 4-8 groups, FX returns, and the master fader all living in their own track folder, at the very top of my mix (or very bottom)

track folders helps, all audio in one, all MIDI in another, the few VI's i use get their own folders with all their outputs in there as well.

but my template is small compared to some i've seen so that helps hah
why would i want to skin a cat?
waxman

Post by waxman »

terrybritton wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: The MT is getting moved around by being selected when doing various operations (moving tracks, adding tracks).

I recommend you purchase a small, foot-long, wooden or plastic ruler, and slap your hand hard with that (your mouse hand, preferably) every time you do this thing you do. Eventually, you will stop.

This method has purportedly worked for piano teachers since the keyboard was invented. It may work in this case as well. Please keep us informed of your results.

Terry

Now that was funny I don't care who you are... lol

Tracks window 1st position under conductor... far left mixer. Fail? Resort to corporal punishment. :brucelee:
Last edited by waxman on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

The track doesn't move by itself. The slap on the wrist is not off the mark.

Learn how it's designed to work then modify your tracks accordingly. There's nothing to fix but your own behavior.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
magicd

Post by magicd »

When you add a track the new track will be added to the bottom of the list or directly below any selected track.

Dave
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

magicd wrote:When you add a track the new track will be added to the bottom of the list or directly below any selected track.

Dave
So the solution is to put the master track after the conductor track. Nothing will end up in front of it. Being left handed, that makes sense to me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

OldTimey wrote:i set my template up like a typical mixing board, with 4-8 groups, FX returns, and the master fader all living in their own track folder, at the very top of my mix (or very bottom)

track folders helps, all audio in one, all MIDI in another, the few VI's i use get their own folders with all their outputs in there as well.

but my template is small compared to some i've seen so that helps hah
Track folders for master and auxes... That sounds potentially very useful. I didn't think of that.

The idea of keeping them at the TOP also probably would help a lot too. Tracks being added under the MT would be good, and not bad. I currently keep my MT at the bottom (and right).

Thanks for the helpful ideas so far folks. It appears that there is in fact ways to alleviate my deficiencies here. :oops:
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Robert Randolph wrote: Thanks for the ideas so far folks. It appears that there is in fact ways to alleviate my deficiencies here. :oops:
I've found you a deal on some rulers if you are still interested. Just let me know! :wink:

Yes, all of these suggestions are terrific! Awesome, folks!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
MIDI Life Crisis

I prefer the whip... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
waxman

Post by waxman »

The Raven forced me to have the Master Fader and sum faders far left. I sum 16 sends to a Neve 8816 outboard summing mixer that is fed by auxes. Usually 5 stereo and 6 mono...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Robert Randolph

waxman wrote:The Raven forced me to have the Master Fader and sum faders far left. I sum 16 sends to a Neve 8816 outboard summing mixer that is fed by auxes. Usually 5 stereo and 6 mono...
Why do you need to have your master/sum faders on the left when using Raven?