How to NOT make the mixer follow track selection?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
the_rpg_moogle
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to NOT make the mixer follow track selection?

Post by the_rpg_moogle »

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to DP, having recently switched from another DAW. I'm loving it so far, but a few things have me baffled, most of all the way the mixer follows track selections I make in the tracks window. Is it possible to turn this off, so that the mixer doesn't follow my track selections? I would be very grateful with any help regarding this, as I can only find how to make the mixer follow these selections, and not the other way around, which is what I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance,

Joost
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to NOT make the mixer follow track selection?

Post by magicd »

Command-D to deselect all before switching to the mixer. The mixer will then display the tracks that were included last time the window was open.

Dave
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

You can also keep the Mixer and the Channel Strip in separate windows (not part of the Consolidated Window). I started doing this because I got tired of forgetting to do the Command-D and only seeing one fader when I switched to the Mixer with a track name highlighted.

Babz
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Using Mission Control/Spaces for efficient workflow in Digital Performer

You might want to check out the above link in the Tips Sheet. There is also a useful YouTube video. Don't be intimidated by all the graphics and such. This is a very easy method to use, and very fast. Essentially you are designating several of Apple's "Spaces," or virtual monitors, to hold windows in DP that remain open at full-screen at all times, which you can access quickly with a key command, a gesture on the Trackpad, or DP's commands or clicks for opening those windows. They always stay where you left them, and remain consistent constantly throughout your work-day. I've become so addicted to this way of working that I'll never go back to a single-monitor method.

There is one drawback: there isn't a way to have all the windows go to their designated spaces automatically when opening a file. Once open, some windows will remain in place when you switch chunks, but when opening a file you must place the windows in their respective spaces. This turns out to have a very easy shortcut, provided by Apple. Watch the video to understand it. (watch it at full screen. It's high res, so you can read what's on the windows) Takes about 1 second per window to place them. Just not a problem. Once the windows are placed in their virtual monitors, it's done, and your workflow becomes a lot easier.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
the_rpg_moogle
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by the_rpg_moogle »

Thanks for the suggestions, love them. I would love to try out Spaces, but unfortunately I am on Windows. Is there any kind of equivalent to this?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

the_rpg_moogle wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, love them. I would love to try out Spaces, but unfortunately I am on Windows. Is there any kind of equivalent to this?
If you set up the mixer in its own window, and everything else in the CW, presumably there is a Windows key combination to switch between them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bayswater wrote:
the_rpg_moogle wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, love them. I would love to try out Spaces, but unfortunately I am on Windows. Is there any kind of equivalent to this?
If you set up the mixer in its own window, and everything else in the CW, presumably there is a Windows key combination to switch between them.
Just alt-tab and alt-shift-tab.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:Using Mission Control/Spaces for efficient workflow in Digital Performer

You might want to check out the above link in the Tips Sheet. There is also a useful YouTube video. Don't be intimidated by all the graphics and such. This is a very easy method to use, and very fast. Essentially you are designating several of Apple's "Spaces," or virtual monitors, to hold windows in DP that remain open at full-screen at all times, which you can access quickly with a key command, a gesture on the Trackpad, or DP's commands or clicks for opening those windows. They always stay where you left them, and remain consistent constantly throughout your work-day. I've become so addicted to this way of working that I'll never go back to a single-monitor method.

There is one drawback: there isn't a way to have all the windows go to their designated spaces automatically when opening a file. Once open, some windows will remain in place when you switch chunks, but when opening a file you must place the windows in their respective spaces. This turns out to have a very easy shortcut, provided by Apple. Watch the video to understand it. (watch it at full screen. It's high res, so you can read what's on the windows) Takes about 1 second per window to place them. Just not a problem. Once the windows are placed in their virtual monitors, it's done, and your workflow becomes a lot easier.

Shooshie
The 7 spaces open. Do those come up at startup?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

waxman wrote:The 7 spaces open. Do those come up at startup?
If you mean does the computer remember the different desktops, yes. Control> up arrow will show you all the desktops in a top bar, where you can add or delete them.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:
waxman wrote:The 7 spaces open. Do those come up at startup?
If you mean does the computer remember the different desktops, yes. Control> up arrow will show you all the desktops in a top bar, where you can add or delete them.
Yes, as Killahurts said, the OS remembers them. However, I don't know what key command is the default for Mission Control. See the video for how to set that up. Mission Control, by the way, is the screen where you can see those spaces and drop windows into them. It is helpful to hide all applications but DP when doing that, so that you don't have to wade through extraneous windows.

In El Capitan, and possibly Yosemite, Apple changed Mission Control so that you don't see the desktops until you move the mouse to the top of the screen. You see their names, but not their icons. Move the mouse up, and the icons drop down and stay down. No big deal, but you might wonder where they are if you didn't know that.

What is NOT remembered is where you put those windows. Their positions are remembered, but not their desktop. So, you have to use Mission Control to drag them to the desktop, where they drop in and assume their previous position. Too bad Apple doesn't let us tag windows so that they remember their desktops. Maybe someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shoosh

PS: a little trick I've learned is to assign a different desktop picture to each space. That way, I can always tell which one I'm in if for some reason there are no windows in it. For example, if I accidentally close the mixer window, I go to its space and immediately realize that I've got to open it and put it back, because I remember its desktop picture. Just saves a minute of thumbing around trying to find it.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote: a little trick I've learned is to assign a different desktop picture to each space. That way, I can always tell which one I'm in if for some reason there are no windows in it. For example, if I accidentally close the mixer window, I go to its space and immediately realize that I've got to open it and put it back, because I remember its desktop picture. Just saves a minute of thumbing around trying to find it.
I noticed you had done that in your video.. good trick!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Shooshie and Killahurts.

I was hoping you guys had found a secret to put the spaces desktops into place at start up and after. Before I added the Raven I had a 2 monitor set up that I used spaces constantly. It made sense when I was always on the mouse. Now at all times I need to (see & touch) the 27" 1920x1080 pixel Raven monitor, (see & mouse) my VI's instrument on a 34" 3440x1440 pixel HD monitor on the left.

The state of the projects is dynamic and I've become dependent on instant visual feedback. If I could incorporate the windows option in DP to bring up alternate "environments" with quick keys or batch command buttons that would be great for spaces but having to distribute desktops, ctrl arrow and remember whats where shoots that in the foot...

On Apple Thunderbolt display 2560x1440 pixel centered above the Raven I have consolidated Track/SE Windows always open. I tried to reincorporate spaces but it all becomes kind of wonky so sadly no more spaces for me. DP brings up everything where I left it. The exact recall when going project to project is essential. Especially if it's not an everyday client.

At times I could really use spaces. I would love to figure out how to use spaces again. Sure seems like a simple utility someone with skills would write and sell for $19.95 but I can't find one. Probably because I would be their only sale... :wink:
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:At times I could really use spaces. I would love to figure out how to use spaces again. Sure seems like a simple utility someone with skills would write and sell for $19.95 but I can't find one. Probably because I would be their only sale... :wink:
I'd buy it, but when this first came up, someone posted that Apple had not made the necessary API available.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:The state of the projects is dynamic and I've become dependent on instant visual feedback. If I could incorporate the windows option in DP to bring up alternate "environments" with quick keys or batch command buttons that would be great for spaces but having to distribute desktops, ctrl arrow and remember whats where shoots that in the foot...
Honestly, it just doesn't take that long, nor is it in any way difficult. You just have to use the one method that makes it relatively easy. (there are two or three other possible ways of distributing the windows that are much more involved and difficult.)

As for what is where, it's pretty easy if you do it consistently all the time. I use the following system:

Space 1: Consolidated Window, containing Tracks, Sequence Editor, and any of the margin windows.
Space 2: Mixing Board. In some projects, I may put some plugins in that window so as to be able to edit and watch them and the Mixing Board simultaneously. But that's an inconsistency, so don't' do it until you are comfortable with it.
Space 3: MIDI Edit Windows
Space 4: Open Plugin windows
Space 5: Vienna interfaces
Space 6: Wallander Instrument interfaces
Etc.

If I'm using Quickscribe, I may keep it in Space 4 and shift the others down. Any system you like will work.

Use the Mission Control button for distributing windows. You assign that button in System Prefs / Mission Control. It takes me an average of one second per window, a little faster maybe. Just drop them in the spaces at the top of the screen under Mission Control. Considering the time and trouble it saves to use Spaces, even the distribution of windows upon opening a file is just not an issue. When you switch chunks, many of the windows stay put.

You're right that it doesn't feel polished. Apple gave us a half-baked system with no way to save the window distribution. Only Apple knows why, though I suspect it's because they just never thought about finishing it. Lots of Apple software these days feels half-baked.
Nevertheless, using this system means you never have to relocate, or resize windows. Even scrolling is not usually necessary, because the windows and the scrolling stay where you left them, without the need to constantly be searching for the last tracks that you were using.

Sometimes I split the Sequence Editor out of the Consolidated Windows and give it a Space, too, if I'm working in large projects. Then the Tracks window and the SE need their own full-screen space. If I could, I'd put the SE in a window about 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide!

Shoosh